News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: BEARWOOD LAKES: Modern Golf in Berkshire?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 05:25:24 AM »
What were the changes and who was the architect?

Not that I know the course

Ally

I can't recall the archie's name who carried out the recent work.  A lot was done, but much of it won't be noticed unless one knows the course really well. The big changes I noticed:

#4 has some space behind the left bunker.

#6 has new bunkers in the left drive zone.  

The 9th is a huge difference with the water (pond was enlarged).  I think an improvement, but still needs work.

#10 is a huge improvement with the new drainage pond.  The old ditch 20 yards shy of the green was a mess.  

#11 had two bunkers added and fairway around the bunkers in the rise.  Previously the drive was wide open and the fairway ended at the bunkers in the rise.  Much better hole.  

#15 has a new bunker on the left - neither here nor there because this is out of position.

#16 has two new flanking bunkers in the drive zone - I don't think the hole is any better for them.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Martin Toal

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 05:37:09 AM »
I am a member at Bearwood Lakes. The greenkeeper at BL keeps a blog which gives some insight into the club's thoughts.

http://blgcgd.blogspot.co.uk/

It is certainly true that BL is a modern course, but I think it is a fine course and the management are committed to keeping it updated and fresh with incremental improvements.

In addition to those listed above, the 16th tee has been raised. This is because the previous tee position, playing to a horizon was a bit unsatisfactory. The new tee is still settling in, so additional growth on the banks is needed. There has also been quite a bear of clearing of trees, partly for aesthetics but also to allow wind better access to some holes.

In addition, there is a practice at the course of varying the rough, growing in some areas while other areas are sparse at one time, then changing it round to vary the visuals and playing challenge.

I would welcome GCA members who want a game.

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 05:46:15 AM »
Martin

The Super should be commended.  Bearwood is in great nick.  I know its easier when the weather is fine, but the course was in excellent nick previously as well. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 05:50:57 AM »
Dan Lightfoot is a very good greenkeeper. If anyone wants to see the impact that Rescue can have, you need to take a look at the fescue roughs at Bearwood - it is as good a stand as I have seen in the UK, really impressive bearing in mind that the soil is not ideal.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back