News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: OLD UNION in pictures
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 11:55:01 AM »
That looks like a Miata to me, but perhaps it is a MX-5   ;)  ;D

I guess either way it doesn't make a difference

It is a great car for golf trips. Plenty of room for two bags and very confortable...................until it rains.

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 11:58:07 AM »
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:30:52 PM by Kalen Braley »

Eric Smith

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 12:06:06 PM »
I can't believe this.....the course can't be that good if they let construction workers with bright orange and very untucked shirts play it!!   ;)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:30:30 PM by Eric Smith »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 12:10:28 PM »
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:31:29 PM by Kalen Braley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 12:15:41 PM »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 12:16:29 PM »

Just to repeat my warning

Special Note
It was not the intention to hurt any dumb animal, creature or to portray anything that resembles a living human being during the posting of this thread.

Melvyn

Anthony Gray

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »

Eric,

Thanks for not posting my no shirt no shoes no service photo.

Anthony

bbarkley

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »
I had the opportunity to play Old Union yesterday.  My brother-in-law and I walked the course, and had the pleasure of having my father walk with us.  He did not play, but was up for the "day in the park".

Our group's overall impression of the course was that of excitement.  Being that my parent's have property less than 7 miles from the course, we are very, very pleased to have a course of this caliber so near.  Plus who can beat $22 to walk?   I would say that on a day like yesterday (78 degrees), the course was easily walked.  We started on the back 9, so the actual flow of the course was changed.  If starting on one (once the clubhouse is built), one would walk downhill to the first tee, and continue in the valley along a very interesting stretch of holes.  The most memorable stretch would have to be 3-6.   

3 is one heck of a par 5.  Standing on the tee it sure looks like one is about to play all of the 615+/- yds.  The landing area appears to be very narrow, and this is emphasized by left fairway bunker.  There is wetland/heavy rough all along the left, and heavy woods along the right.  The hole hugs the wetlands and wraps completely around the water.  Playing down the left will drastically shorten the hole, and may make it reachable for long hitters.  The tall vegetation hides the landing area short of the green, so the second shot appears to be much more difficult than it is.  My brother-in-law had 235 to the green, but easily had only 180-200 to carry the vegetation.  This hole looks much more difficult than it plays, however, if played too aggressively, it will quickly become a scar on any scorecard. 

6th tee

looking back from the 3rd green.  Notice the amt. of landing area, short of the green

The 4th hole is the #1 handicapped, and plays just a few yard shorter than the par 5 8th.  This hole was directly up hill, and into a heavy wind.  Not much there other than length, and prevailing wind to defend this hole (other than a lone fairway bunker).  In addition the green is easily 3-4 clubs deep. 

I believe the 5th tee may of been my favorite locations on the course.   From the tee, one can see 2 additional holes (3,4), and a nice view of the surrounding topography.  The 5th is short, challenging par 4.  I hit 4 wood directly over the three short bunkers on the right, and had an excellent angle in to the raised green.

5th tee box

The 6th is a brutal par three from any of the back tees.  From the tips, it can be extended to 300 yds!  The blues were set up at 245 yds.  Off the tee there is trouble all down the right but plenty of room left.  This hole would make a great reach able par 4. 

6th tee

My overall impressions of the course is that it is a beautiful setting, and offers challenging yet, fair test of golf.  Many of the trouble my group hit into will be avoided next time we play.  The course looks more difficult than it plays, and as previously mentioned, many of the hazards are hidden from view. 

Walkable:  I thought the course was not overly difficult to walk, of course the extreme length is a factor, but there is limited elevation change.  Once the clubhouse is built, it will be downhill to #1 tee, then continue to play along the stream valley until 16 (waterfall hole), then a long uphill walk to 17 tee, and finally downhill back to the clubhouse after the 18th green.  The walk could be shortened a bit if there were some pedestrian bridges over some of the streams, and waste areas, but this may be in violation of some of the environmental restrictions.  Hopefully the course will advertise the walkablity, and offer pull cart rentals.

Length:  Extremely long.   Seems like over time the staff may find a good combination of tees to use. Black listed at 7667, Blues listed at 7082, Whites at 6332, Yellow at 5735, and Red at 4776.  Seems like a big gap between tees (black-blue, blue-white, etc.)   For me the blues were playable and enjoyable.   I would have liked to play from a couple shorter tees.  Mainly on the very long par 3s (187, 245, 227), long 4s (487, 458, 425),  and brutal 5s (614, 625).

I can say i did play the best opening 9 holes (back 9) I have had in a while.  I attest this to my extreme enjoyment to be playing a new course, in a beautiful setting, with my brother-in-law and father.  This is a beautiful spot in the North Georgia mountains, which happens to have a wonderful and challenging golf course.  Everyone should experience this course first hand to appreciate the overall feel of the course. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 03:36:49 PM »

AHEM! CHIC CAR ALERT!

Garland:
I think you're missing a letter, unless you think that car is particularly stylish/elegant/sophisticated. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »

There is just enough room in that car for an angry man and his niblick.

Anthony

Mac Plumart

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 04:01:24 PM »
Played it yesterday.

Agreed on the wonderful setting.  I felt like the course could have been All-World...and I mean that.  I thought the land, especially for GA, was almost ideal.  But the routing, per my taste, incoprated too many forced carries.

It is a course I would seek out to play if you are in the area.

FYI...they have a clubhouse now.  Understated, but nice.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 04:06:01 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 10:46:16 PM »
I must tell this story.

Got up very, very early last Monday and drove 2 hours into the mountains to play Old Union.  Personal favorite that I've played several times before; great course, very nice walk, very affordable, and not at all crowded, especially on a Monday morning in July.

Keep in mind that I ran a 10k last on Wed. 7/4., and then walked 18 on Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun, so I have spent some serious time in some serious heat indexes of late.  That sort of over-doing can have unintended consequences from time to time.

Leisurely walk on a nice morning, but In the middle of the 4th fairway, my stomach cramped VERY suddenly and VERY harshly.  Barely made it into the trees before I did what bears do in the woods, though I would guess that my output was much, much higher than the average bear.  Had to stop again for awhile at the turn, but felt completely fine otherwise.  I had never had anything like this happen to me on a golf course before; very disconcerting, to say the least.

I share this sad and regrettable incident ONLY because predictably I kept playing, and on the 13th hole, a 196 yd. par three, I hit a 4 hybrid that took one huge hop and went in for an ace.  Much like an elderly version of the kid in the USGA commercial, I looked around for somebody, anybody that might have seen what just happened.  But there was nobody on the next tee, nobody on the previous green, nobody on the parallel fairway, and no kindly greenskeeper anywhere to be seen.  I realized immediately that there would be no awards, no name in the GSGA magazine; indeed, there would be no recognition at all.

However, my momentary disappointment at the unwitnessed hole-in-one was immediately tempered (Nay! Cancelled!) by the realization that there had likewise been nobody around on the 4th hole to witness THAT part of my morning, either.  On balance, I would have to say I came out far, far ahead on the deal, as did the rest of the golf world.

And now you know the rest of the story...

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 11:15:02 PM »
I must tell this story.

Got up very, very early last Monday and drove 2 hours into the mountains to play Old Union.  Personal favorite that I've played several times before; great course, very nice walk, very affordable, and not at all crowded, especially on a Monday morning in July.

Keep in mind that I ran a 10k last on Wed. 7/4., and then walked 18 on Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun, so I have spent some serious time in some serious heat indexes of late.  That sort of over-doing can have unintended consequences from time to time.

Leisurely walk on a nice morning, but In the middle of the 4th fairway, my stomach cramped VERY suddenly and VERY harshly.  Barely made it into the trees before I did what bears do in the woods, though I would guess that my output was much, much higher than the average bear.  Had to stop again for awhile at the turn, but felt completely fine otherwise.  I had never had anything like this happen to me on a golf course before; very disconcerting, to say the least.

I share this sad and regrettable incident ONLY because predictably I kept playing, and on the 13th hole, a 196 yd. par three, I hit a 4 hybrid that took one huge hop and went in for an ace.  Much like an elderly version of the kid in the USGA commercial, I looked around for somebody, anybody that might have seen what just happened.  But there was nobody on the next tee, nobody on the previous green, nobody on the parallel fairway, and no kindly greenskeeper anywhere to be seen.  I realized immediately that there would be no awards, no name in the GSGA magazine; indeed, there would be no recognition at all.

However, my momentary disappointment at the unwitnessed hole-in-one was immediately tempered (Nay! Cancelled!) by the realization that there had likewise been nobody around on the 4th hole to witness THAT part of my morning, either.  On balance, I would have to say I came out far, far ahead on the deal, as did the rest of the golf world.

And now you know the rest of the story...

Your golf towel must have been upset it didn't see the ace.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jason Thurman

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
A lurker asked me to bump this thread before he makes a trip there. Unfortunately, I was on the road when he asked and didn't get back to GCA until after his trip. Still, I want to give it a bump because it's my first time seeing pictures of the course, and I'm intrigued. The sharp features really look cool to this member of a 1923 William Langford design.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back