News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Gayne

Re: Bridges
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 09:12:42 PM »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2009, 05:26:25 AM »

Cool Bill, designed by Escher? :)

The Addington

Let's make GCA grate again!

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2009, 11:53:32 AM »
Between #17 and #18 at Crooked Stick

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2009, 04:31:18 PM »
Sorry it took me so long to post these pictures, but we have some awesome bridges where I work right now at Adams Mountain Country Club.

Here is the kind of bridge we use to get over the wet marshland down by the creek.

We have over 4 of these bridges on the golf course, they were made in Valentine, NE and were brought in as is.  They had some trouble driving them in on the big trucks getting around the roundabouts.  This one shown right in is double the length of the other ones on the golf course and supposedly when it was all said and done it cost $500,000 just for this bridge.

BUT all the employees like the old bridge down by the creek, we all prefer to drive over this one just for the risk of falling in.

Adam Sherer

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2009, 01:10:27 PM »
Innis Arden GC - Old Greenwich, CT

"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

James Bennett

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2009, 07:10:41 AM »
No pics, but I thought there might be a pic of Augusta #12, Augusta #15, and perhaps the line drawing of the (unbuilt) bridge at Cypress Point #18.

Pleased to see Rolling Green #14 earlier - that is an amazing structure.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2009, 09:57:25 AM »
Great photos!  Neat topic.  Anybody have pics of the bridges at Lost Tracks, Atlanta CC or Pitts F Club??

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »
The newest issue of The Met Golfer, an article about the Orange / West Hills Country Club focuses on its famous bridge: http://www.metgolferdigital.com/i/638421-feb-mar-2016/77

JJShanley

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2016, 11:29:04 AM »
Angel's Crossing (Vicksburg, MI) has at least three bridge-cartpaths like this that get you through-across the wetlands:

Ru's Scottish Golf Podcast devoted an episode to John Imlay, donor of bridges at several Scottish courses.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »
I played North Berwick last month and had a wonderful morning there. The course was in good nick and surprisingly dry after all the rain we have had. However, I was a little surprised and saddened to see the course is now sporting a few modern versions of faux Swilken Bridges on a few holes. Totally out of character with the course and certainly detracted on the holes where they appeared from the aesthetics of the hole. Why do clubs do such things?

Jon

Tim Gallant

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2016, 02:10:01 PM »
I played North Berwick last month and had a wonderful morning there. The course was in good nick and surprisingly dry after all the rain we have had. However, I was a little surprised and saddened to see the course is now sporting a few modern versions of faux Swilken Bridges on a few holes. Totally out of character with the course and certainly detracted on the holes where they appeared from the aesthetics of the hole. Why do clubs do such things?

Jon

Jon,

I know that Mr. Imlay, a former member and big champion of golf around Scotland was very generous and donated a number of much needed bridges to the club a few years back. Simon Holt may know more details, but from what I hear, one of the bridges on 7 was close to collapsing, so the club are forever indebted to his generosity.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2016, 04:13:20 AM »
Tim,

I am not having a go at anyone with my post and it is great when members are so generous. It is just to my eye the bridges do not fit in shape or form. You may like the bridges or may not it is difficult to say from your post.

Jon

Tim Gallant

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2016, 08:08:46 AM »
Tim,

I am not having a go at anyone with my post and it is great when members are so generous. It is just to my eye the bridges do not fit in shape or form. You may like the bridges or may not it is difficult to say from your post.

Jon

Jon,

I tend to agree with you, that in places they certainly look out of place with the surroundings, but happy to not have to say prayers before crossing the burns :)

archie_struthers

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2016, 10:14:09 AM »
 8)

Don't have pictures of PVGC'S bridge but it's innocuous and beautiful at the same time.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2016, 01:58:23 PM »
Tim,

had they built them with the same stonework as the walls that cross the course then they would look a lot better but the yellow sandstone (or at least that is what it looks to be) just does not blend.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back