News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Attwood

Re: CAVENDISH GC: A Dr Mac Delight - 2018-19 Winter Tour
« Reply #175 on: December 23, 2020, 05:03:00 AM »

That's interesting. I wonder why they went for the traditional riveting rather than the usual ecobunker astroturf riveting?

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2020, 08:35:54 AM »
There was resistance among certain sectors of the membership to the idea of plastic bunker edges on a historic course. Ultimately our architect specified natural turf for the edges.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 08:47:01 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2020, 08:40:52 AM »
Duncan,
Any idea what depth of sand they’re proposing?
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean_A

« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2020, 08:52:15 AM »
Duncan,
Cheers,
F.

I was going to ask the same. The cavity on the slopes looks to be quite shallow.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #179 on: December 23, 2020, 09:20:06 AM »
Duncan,
Cheers,
F.

I was going to ask the same. The cavity on the slopes looks to be quite shallow.

Ciao

Sean,
Exactly that and I also can’t help but think there won’t be much of a bunker lip left by the time they get some sand in there.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #180 on: December 23, 2020, 09:45:44 AM »
If it were me, I'd be putting no more than 100mm in the base, down to 50mm at the top. Expect it to compact down to 75mm. That should give you the firmness you need and enough depth to bed your feet in without catching the liner.
2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #181 on: December 24, 2020, 12:13:42 AM »
Robin has it spot on.

We don't want deep sand - just deep enough.  We also don't particularly want the stacked edge to be a visible feature. If the sand comes right up to the top of the lip (and stays there) we'll be happy.

The slopes on the faces were carefully kept below 30 deg to facilitate the sand sticking in place.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 12:27:09 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Sean_A

« Reply #182 on: December 25, 2020, 05:51:58 AM »
I hope the sand isn't as firm as at Liphook. I didn't like the new sand at all there.

Is there an advantage to revetted bunkers?

Merry Christmas
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2021, 04:04:58 AM »
Bump for 2021 Buda Pests
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Niall C

« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2021, 03:20:09 PM »
Since the last page of this thread is concerned with the bunker lining let me start there and say I had forgotten this thread and the story of the eco bunker lining, so was rather perplexed when I bottomed out on a bit of astro-turf when trying to play out of a bunker. Not sure if that was a construction issue or simply one of not enough sand in the bunker ?

Anyway I totally agree with an awful lot of the comments made on here over 8 pages and a span of 12 years. Cavendish is a delight. I've long considered that MacKenzies work at Duff House Royal showed what could be done with a pretty flat site and now he has shown to me what can be done with a fairly hilly one too. It also demonstrated to me how slowing down the greens allows some "interesting" pin positions to come into play.

Sadly, not all plaudits. I'm not referring to the bunkering whether old or new, which looked and played fine to me, the odd bottoming out on the liner aside. I'm actually referring to the same issue that Sean seems to have found on his initial tour and that is the mowing lines both for the greens but also for the fairways. Quite a few of the greens appeared to have shrunk and many would be significantly improved (IMO) if pushed out by two or three feet.

The big issue however is the fairway lines. For a course where the primary defence/interest is the greens, and getting the line of approach right, it was disappointing to find some of the fairways brought in to form pinch points with others being narrow for no real good reason. The rough itself was long enough to make finding a ball difficult and once found wiry/thick enough to leave nothing other than a chunk out. That got tiresome very quickly.

Cases in point include the wonderful 3rd. Possibly the best par 4 on the course which begs for a drive high on the right to run down on to the green. Sadly the line of the rough on the right makes this very difficult. Also the left of the 16th fairway for the drive. It may well be a resourcing issue in reducing the amount of short grass but given the deliberate pinch points I'm not sure. I'd urge the club to prioritise this over tree removal as I think it would have a much bigger impact.

However so as not to dwell on negatives let me say that I think the greens were superb with the 8th being the pick of the bunch for me followed perhaps by the aforementioned 3rd.

Niall 

Niall C

« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2021, 03:52:06 PM »
A few words on the historical footnotes;

From the old b&w photos that Duncan posted earlier in the thread it does appear to me that the 4th and 7th greens are not original. The 4th in particular looks as though it is now half the size and that originally it was a version of the Himalyas at St Andrews. MacKenzies plan seems to support that idea. Possibly it was prone to flooding and that the pond on the left was a borrow pit to provide material to raise the green ?

I also tend to agree the 11th and 14th were double tiered, especially the 11th which would make it strikingly similar to holes at Pitreavie and Pasatiempo.

Niall

Peter Pallotta

Re: CAVENDISH GC: A Dr Mac Delight
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2022, 10:43:44 AM »
I've been happily following James (Not a Perfect Golfer) for several months now, as he has chronicled his journey from new golfer to 14-18 handicapper, each week showing us every shot from his latest round in a positive, upbeat and understated way. Every course I've seen him play so far has been in Wales; but today it was delightful to see him at Cavendish -- and he provides a great look at every hole of the course from the perspective an average golfer who hits it about 200 yds off the tee.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E7x14EaCnxA

« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 11:24:50 AM by PPallotta »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2022, 11:13:21 AM »
I've been happily following James (Not a Perfect Golfer) for several months now, as he has chronicled his journey from new golfer to 14-18 handicapper, each week showing us every shot from his latest round in a positive, upbeat and understated way. Every course I've seen him play so far has been in Wales; but today it was delightful to see him at Cavendish -- and he provides a great look at every hole of the course from the perspective an average golfer who hits it about 200 yds off the tee.

I enjoyed remembering the course but I sure had a hard time watching him swing.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2022, 12:32:48 PM »
I enjoyed remembering the course but I sure had a hard time watching him swing.
One of the reasons I enjoy watching James is that his temperament and approach to the game is so different than mine. I tend to focus on the mechanics of hitting a proper golf shot, and on the aesthetic and physical pleasures of a full and fluid golf swing, while James has very clearly (and rightly, I think) focused instead on trying to get the ball into the hole in the fewest number of strokes possible. It is a real lesson to me how 'inelegant' a golfer can look and how 'plodding' he can play while still managing to get from beginner to 14 handicapper in less than a year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back