News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: Kyle Phillips in LINKS Mag
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 06:51:22 PM »
I took this picture at Ganton :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 10:13:34 PM »
OK David, David, and Ulrich, who built those artificial ponds, and when did they do it?

As I noted above, Kyle's first routing did not have the artificial ponds that the latest routing shows they have proliferated.

Did Tom Doak and Bill Coore build ponds at Streamsong? I think not.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 11:08:43 PM »
"who built those artificial ponds, and when did they do it?"

Garland -

How should I know? Why should I care? ;)

By the way, there are two ponds on the par-3 10th hole at Golspie, in the heathland portion of the course. I suspect those ponds were built to help drain what is otherwise a swampy, marsh-like area of the property.

http://www.golspiegolfclub.co.uk/hole-10

DT
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:22:51 PM by David_Tepper »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 01:13:27 AM »
"who built those artificial ponds, and when did they do it?"

Garland -

How should I know? Why should I care? ;)

By the way, there are two ponds on the par-3 10th hole at Golspie, in the heathland portion of the course. I suspect those ponds were built to help drain what is otherwise a swampy, marsh-like area of the property.

http://www.golspiegolfclub.co.uk/hole-10

DT

Because you claimed it was an artificial pond. If you don't know how it was artificially created, then why did you bring it up?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 03:52:19 AM »
Garland

I understand if you despise water and I think six holes featuring water is not ideal.  However, if ponds must be built, the archie has to decide if they are to be used architecturally or ornamentally (assuming there is enough space to remove the water from play).  Sometimes, its a lesser of two evils and it depends on what one considers evil.  All courses can't nor should follow a strict regime of rules and codes. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
My understanding is that Tom has a pretty hard rule on ponds. Ponds built are not in play unless lack of space requires it. It appears that on this matter Kyle Phillips is no Tom Doak.

David_Tepper

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 12:17:58 PM »
"It appears that on this matter Kyle Phillips is no Tom Doak."

I am thinking Kyle Phillips is totally OK with that. ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:29:37 PM by David_Tepper »

Jason Connor

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 11:49:58 PM »
I like the Cromvoirt routing.

I do wonder if there is any danger with big slices on 4 & 5 given one's landing area is to the right of the other -- but I'm guessing a bad slice may not make it far enough.

I also like -- if it's a members course -- the various options to play a quick 4 (1,9,10, 18), 5 (1,2,3,4, 9), or 7 (1,2,3,4,9,10,18) holes in the evening.
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2017, 02:37:47 AM »
I like the Cromvoirt routing.

I do wonder if there is any danger with big slices on 4 & 5 given one's landing area is to the right of the other -- but I'm guessing a bad slice may not make it far enough.

I also like -- if it's a members course -- the various options to play a quick 4 (1,9,10, 18), 5 (1,2,3,4, 9), or 7 (1,2,3,4,9,10,18) holes in the evening.

Jason,

You're looking at Frank's routing, not the KP routing that is getting built.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back