News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

A different kind of hazard - Common Ground
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:50:10 PM »
I appropriated this image from Peter F.'s thread on Common Ground (I hope you don't mind Peter).

Some months ago I wondered on here about innovative hazards that could reduce maintenance costs. I don't recall getting very far on that one because I didn't have any examples. Now I think I do.

The mound or ridge in front of the green is interesting to me for a number of reasons.
  • It looks like it would be relatively easy to maintain.
  • If you land short of the green you don't know whether you are going to hit on the steep upslope or downslope. If you hit the back of the mound (downslope) it looks like you might shoot well over the green, on the upslope and you're left with an awkward lie well short of the putting surface.
  • It's not overly penal to the weaker player because if you land well short of the mound with a running shot it looks like you stand a good chance of just running up and over onto the green.

There are probably many more reasons to like it, but it just doesn't look like a typical "mound" on a golf course. Nor does it look like the mohawks that are coming into vogue. Why don't I see this type of hazard more often? Is it really innovative or am I just easily impressed?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kirk Gill

Re: A different kind of hazard - Common Ground
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 12:06:34 AM »
Is the top of that mound maintained as rough?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 12:13:19 AM »
Charlie, It's hard to tell from the picture exactly where that mound resides. But, It looks similar to other mounds encountered. The first that comes to mind is on Rustic Canyon's 2nd.

Mounds of this nature do need to be maintained properly for both the playability aspect and the visual deception.

On the mound at Rustic, I remember a little tiny pimple that was added on the greenside of the bigger mound. It was placed in such a spot to add more randomness to the forward kick from hitting the leeward side of the bigger mound.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
I don't know the answer to your question Kirk, but it looks relatively short.

Adam, thanks for the example. I wonder if this kind of hazard is more prevalent than I thought?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Jim Carrigan

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 02:14:33 PM »
Is the top of that mound maintained as rough?
Yes, the mound is maintained as rough.

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »
Hi Charlie. Take a look at these pics and read what Mr. Doak had to say about this particular hazard from a past thread:

...there wasn't a bunker in that mound the last time I saw it.  When we built it, it was supposed to be a fairway-height mound which deflected shots, as on the fourth hole at St. Andrews.  But we built it a bit severe, and God forbid anyone in Myrtle Beach would walk-mow an approach, so they left it rough and planted tufts of grass ... and now they've dug a bunker.

Maybe I'll have to get back down there this winter and fix it for them.

Do you think these are the same type of hazards (as designed)?  Perhaps they are more prevalent.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 04:23:51 PM »
Yeesh, that bunker looks awful.

Charlie:  those mounds on #14 were Jim Urbina's idea ... he wanted to build a par-3 without a bunker.  They are a bit more in front of the green than it appears, so they mess with depth perception as well.  But the idea of having a ridge in front of a green is hardly new ... it's just not done that often because most American golfers want to see the target well.  And, if you're unlucky, some numbskull will dig a bunker into the ridge after you leave!

Reef Wilson

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 05:37:29 PM »
I appropriated this image from Peter F.'s thread on Common Ground (I hope you don't mind Peter).

Some months ago I wondered on here about innovative hazards that could reduce maintenance costs. I don't recall getting very far on that one because I didn't have any examples. Now I think I do.

The mound or ridge in front of the green is interesting to me for a number of reasons.
  • It looks like it would be relatively easy to maintain.
  • If you land short of the green you don't know whether you are going to hit on the steep upslope or downslope. If you hit the back of the mound (downslope) it looks like you might shoot well over the green, on the upslope and you're left with an awkward lie well short of the putting surface.
  • It's not overly penal to the weaker player because if you land well short of the mound with a running shot it looks like you stand a good chance of just running up and over onto the green.

There are probably many more reasons to like it, but it just doesn't look like a typical "mound" on a golf course. Nor does it look like the mohawks that are coming into vogue. Why don't I see this type of hazard more often? Is it really innovative or am I just easily impressed?

Played CG last week and really liked this particular hazard. In addition to the above mentioned aspects, depending on where the pin is, there is a blindness factor to it. When I played and in this picture, the hole was directly behind the mound and even with a pin sheet telling if it was front middle or back, it really was hard to have much confidence about how far you need to hit the ball.

Also, there is actually more space between the mound and the green than you might guess. A ball landing on the far side of the mound still has perhaps 8(?) yards of fairway length grass to go through before getting to the green.

Overall really enjoyed the course. Didn't get my socks knocked off, but didn't expect to. Definitely a course I would play very often if I lived hear there.

Reef

Sean Eidson

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »
I like this knob on the 15th green at Pacific Dunes.  It came into play on both of my rounds during my recent visit.  Once, from about 150 yards, it was severly down wind and I hit pitching wedge that cut into it and rebounded back toward the hole at the back of the green.  The other shot was a short pitch that was conceived to carry over the downslope.  Instead, it hit right on it and went about 20 feet past the pin, which was in the same position as this picture.

I borrowed this picture from Tim Bert's photo tour, my all time favorite thread.

Carl Rogers

Re: A different kind of hazard - Common Ground New
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 08:55:45 PM »
The 16th hole at Riverfront has a similar, but smaller mound short right of the green, contrasting the deceptively ferocious bunkers left.  With some local knowledge the mound is not in play from the white tees, but from the back tees, an approach of 45 +/- yards longer, it is in play.  The bunkers left must be avoided no matter what.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 07:15:44 PM by Carl Rogers »

Cristian

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 08:53:10 AM »
This type hazard is common on Colt courses. Here's an example of one on Toxandria's hole 3 (top right of picture, short and left of green from approach shot). Hole 1 has a similar bump, although slightly bigger. The mounds are maintained as semi-rough.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 12:09:33 PM »
I seem to recall several of these at Royal County Down. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back