News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Willie Campbell & Myopia
« Reply #1700 on: January 19, 2011, 06:33:36 PM »
David,

Over my life I have only judged people by how they treat me and not from rumors of how they supposedly are to others.  I also know that sometimes, personalities clash and that gives rise to people saying things they don't normally say.  However, if they say things too often, at some point, I guess I would have to conclude those things are things they normally say. 

I don't doubt he came into these initial threads years ago with some kind of negative predisposition towards you that may have affected his behavior to this day as it regards you.  If TePaul has done all that to you, I understand your differences of opinion.  That said, I can't really call him out with....wait for it....contemporaneous documentation that it really happened.....sorry, I couldn't resist.

For the last few pages, I have really tried to just wrap this useless thread up, but only managed to extend it, without any meaningful additions.  For that, I am sorry.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

TEPaul

« Reply #1701 on: January 19, 2011, 06:49:06 PM »
"I remind you that discredting TePaul is not the same as discrediting Weeks and certainly provides no real historical value."

Mr. Jeffrey, Sir:

Actually, you are wrong, you ignorant architecture/historician slut; it is the same thing even though you have it flip-flopped. You see, I grew up in a world and in a culture that totally embraced what we all called the "Zoro Principle" which to paraphrase and hopefully not historically alter, essentially says; "Any enemy of Zoro is an enemy of mine!"

I have lived by that principle as well as another that JME (Jeff Evensky) seems to love known as the "Dring Wetherill Principle" which dictates that if you can't deck a friend, what the hell are friends for?"  

PS:
Jeff Evensky seems to also be totally into some Fernanda Wanamaker Wetherill story I once told him and for the life of me I can't now exactly remember why. He keeps claiming that story just cannot be topped. I mean Fern was blonde and hot and ultra cool but I think the thing that set Jeff Evensky on a rocker is I told him that Fern also worked on what were probably the most perfectly tanned armpits I have ever seen and perhaps ever were. That may have been what did it for JeffE and frankly I find that to be a bit too bizarre and kinky for my old fashioned and traditional tastes and sensibilities.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:55:10 PM by TEPaul »

DMoriarty

« Reply #1702 on: January 19, 2011, 06:50:56 PM »
You go ahead and keep justifying your undying support for this poor excuse for a man all you like.  But I am sure at some level not even you believe what you are writing.   I hope it pays off for you.

I probably have the emails somewhere.  Perhaps I should post them?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:53:34 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

TEPaul

« Reply #1703 on: January 19, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »
"BTW, did you spell "Pelican" correctly?"

Jeffrey Sir:

Yes, I believe I did. You known the Pelican, that stately bird with the big droopy beak that I saw slowly cruising up and down the beaches of Florida in the last sixty years that is supposed to be the bird of wisdom who also doubles as the bird that brings beautiful little babies to beautiful attractive families all wrapped up in a pretty little bundle tied with a pink ribbon hanging from its beak.

Oh SH...t, what a silly rabbitt I am, that's a stork isn't it? Well a pelican looks sort of like a stork, at least it does to me, just like any Scottish "Willie" apparently looked like the same guy to an elitist snob who didn't even know if or when he was the club secretary like Myopia's S. Dacre Bush.

Jeffrey, I am trying to steal a march on Mike Cirba and not read any of David Moriarty's posts anymore but unfortunately I just snuk or is it snug or snook? a look at one of his recent ones. It looks like this guy is really, REALLY pissed off at us Jeffrey. Do you think perhaps we should cut out this mirthfullness now or soon or we may be relegated to looking over our shoulder for all time to come? You know, pal, it can be dangerous business these days on Internet websites being the kind of expert golf architectural and OTHERWISE, researchers/analysts/historians you and I are! ;)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:19:10 PM by TEPaul »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1704 on: January 19, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »
TePaul,

Thanks for the correction. I could have sworn you talking about another kind of dirty bird.

Something just dawned on me.  We have legitmately debated the accuracy of club minutes as they relate to history. I wonder if golfclubatlas ought to start taking minutes?

Here is how this thread's minutes might read:

August, 2009 - Mr. MacWood introduced some newspaper articles from his vast collection, stating that one Willie Campbell laid out the original nine holes at the famed Myopia Hunt Club.  Mr. Moriarity seconded the motion providing similar articles and detailed analysis of each, which he stated confirmed their veracity.

"Spirited" conversation followed, centering on the interesting differences between the inferences of those articles and long held club history that three members laid out the original nine.  Other topics included the relative veracity of club records vs. newspaper articles, minor flaws in all sources provided, and interpretation techniques debate.

In Januarly 2011, the topic was tabled without conclusion.  However, it was resolved unanimoulsly that "History is Good."

Or how about the Slow Play Thread?

Januarly 2011 - Mr. Ward MacWood introduced topic of what to do about slow play, citing examples from his experience.  Many seconded the motion providing similar experiences articles and detailed analysis of each, which seemingly confirmed their veracity.

"Spirited" conversation followed, centering on the interesting differences between management options, articles by slow play expert Bill Yates, and more personal experiences. 

In Januarly 2011, the topic was tabled without conclusion.  However, it was resolved unanimoulsly that "Slow Play is Bad."

TEPaul

« Reply #1705 on: January 19, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »
"I wonder if golfclubatlas ought to start taking minutes?"

Jeffrey:

Interesting you would say that. I am not in the slightest tech savy but some time ago I came to a very startling realization and my capacity and ability to make sense of it all is still very much reeling in my mind and in my sensibilities.

You may not realize this Jeffrey but essentially GOOGLE and its like and kind is the biggest and most comprehensive "MINUTES" the world has ever seen or known or even imagined.

We all need to realize this and step back and take some stock in what that actually means now and in the future. It is virtually unimaginable what can be found on GOOGLE and its like and kind and what that means.

I realized this about a year or two ago when I posted a post on GOLFCLUBALTAS.com and then I hit GOOGLE to do some research on the subject I had just posted on in this website and what came up on the first page of GOOGLE?? The very post I had just posted on here not sixty SECONDS before.

I am an old guy and not tech savy but this stuff definitely gives me immense pause in the rapid action communication world we all now live in.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:20:41 AM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1706 on: January 19, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »
TMac,

I am always for standing for the truth.  If something proves right or different about Myopia, I will be the first to congratulate the sluth who found it out, or high five the team, if we ever work together.  As for a few posts above, I still don't see a lot of absolute truth in these matters, and when there is, not a lot of absolute certainty when interpreting a partial record of old documents.  That is what gets our little group into trouble.

And, I will admit I get my feathers rankled mostly at the arrogance of claims that anyone here has found the absolute truth.  I just doubt it, I really do. At least at this point.  Its all speculation, no matter how much we "logically" believe our positions.

I really don't know TePaul's title, but as David suggests, I know he is working with the USGA on their architecture history efforts, which I support.  I would love to see some results out of that program some time soon.  And, I have stated on this site many times, that occaisionally, TePaul exceeds the bounds of good behavior.

All that said, I will stop insulting you now.  How many posts of all of us have been devoted to personal insults rather than really discussing real history?  We are all guilty of letting tempers go a bit.  What's the point?

If you or David fire back one last insult my way, I will let it go unchallenged.  After all this time, someone needs to act like a grownup on this thread.

If you stand for the truth why are you so often mistaken?

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1707 on: January 19, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »
David,

Over my life I have only judged people by how they treat me and not from rumors of how they supposedly are to others.  I also know that sometimes, personalities clash and that gives rise to people saying things they don't normally say.  However, if they say things too often, at some point, I guess I would have to conclude those things are things they normally say.  

I don't doubt he came into these initial threads years ago with some kind of negative predisposition towards you that may have affected his behavior to this day as it regards you.  If TePaul has done all that to you, I understand your differences of opinion.  That said, I can't really call him out with....wait for it....contemporaneous documentation that it really happened.....sorry, I couldn't resist.

For the last few pages, I have really tried to just wrap this useless thread up, but only managed to extend it, without any meaningful additions.  For that, I am sorry.

Jeff
Rumors? I'm pretty sure you were active on this site and read for yourself the story about the urinating on CBM's grave, his portrayal of Emmet as a homosexual, his intimidating the poor fellow at Clementon, his misleading info about what he had access to at Myopia, his deliberate errors transcribing at Merion, his bizarre story about the Drexel disc, his consistent attitude of secrecy with historical documents. Unless you recently suffered a head injury you should remember all this because you observed these things first hand.

If people treat you well you can ignore whatever else they do? A rhetorical question by the way.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1708 on: January 19, 2011, 10:34:33 PM »
You go ahead and keep justifying your undying support for this poor excuse for a man all you like.  But I am sure at some level not even you believe what you are writing.   I hope it pays off for you.

I probably have the emails somewhere.  Perhaps I should post them?

I have my message somewhere too, and will gladly post it (with the names of the august body TEP mentioned in his message) if Jeff still thinks its a rumor.

Jeff?

By the way to give TEP's message some context it came while I was researching my Crump essay, when TEP & Wayne put on the full court press and were trying to sabotage/intimidate me into not writing it. I'm sure you believe that is a vicious rumor too.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:01:34 PM by Tom MacWood »

DMoriarty

« Reply #1709 on: January 19, 2011, 10:39:41 PM »
Jeff Brauer,

As yo can see,  his behavior is no rumor. As if on cue, TEPaul picks up where he eft off, with more bullshit about how all sorts various unnamed members at Merion have been badmouthing me.  And of course while he claims it would be in bad taste to repeat it, he will still try to milk it for all it is worth by alluding to it anyway, bad taste or not.   Like his fictional relations with the unnamed "research expert" in the Niagara Falls area,  details will not be forthcoming.  

And again another mention to supposed source material that would be bad taste to bring forward, yet in good taste to discuss ad infinitum?  He is of course lying about Merion's policies, but then that should be expected by now.

Tom MacWood,

That to me is the sign of a real class act and a genuine person of integrity; one who says, 'I don't give a damn who else you lie to, manipulate, or mistreat. So long as you don't do it to me, then you are A-Okay in my book!'
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:41:47 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1710 on: January 19, 2011, 11:25:05 PM »
Did I wander on to bloodfeud.com by mistake?

While you two can post whatever you want to attempt to embarass TePaul, to whatever degree you succeed, it is my humble opinion that you will embarass yourselves more.

TEPaul

« Reply #1711 on: January 19, 2011, 11:59:44 PM »
Mr Jeffrey:

Don't worry about it. You sure don't need to defend me against the likes of Moriarty and MacWood. I've been around the block and more than once for sure and those two are complete lightweights---they are basically chickenfeed in the world and realm of where this stuff really counts!

But the thing I really find fascinating about those two dudes who keeping telling us that "independent reseach" is what this is all about is how naive they may be in that vein about themselves, particularly David Moriarty. Don't let me imply that I am trying to insult him or imply anything negative about him as they are suggesting and saying about me in their last posts of today. I would only suggest that any or all of you punch into GOOGLE the key words "David Moriarty and Anthony Pellicano" and see what comes up on that Internet search. I'm not implying a damn thing about any of it----I only suggest that you look into it on the public access of the Internet and decide for yourselves what any of it means to you. Isn't this what we do on here, at least the best and the most expert of us----eg INDEPENDENT RESEARCH? MacWood constants rides me on here for not doing enough INDEPENDENT RESEARCH so I just broke down and did some. WHOA!!! GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!! LET THE PELICAN FLY!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:06:04 AM by TEPaul »

DMoriarty

« Reply #1712 on: January 20, 2011, 12:03:53 AM »
Jeff Brauer,

Why should I be embarrassed by any of this?  Why should I be embarrassed by calling him out for his endless stream of lies and unethical and rude behavior directed at me?  After all, he has been on his witch hunt for over half a decade now, and much of his more egregious behavior has been aimed directly at me or at trying making a fool of me.  The man, after all, has repeatedly indicated he is out to ruin my reputation no matter what he has to do, so what is wrong with me fighting back with the TRUTH.  

Look at what he just wrote, for God's sake!  Am I not allowed to call him out for lies and insults thrown at me even just now?  Do you really believe that those at Merion have nothing better to do that sit around gossiping about me?  (I mean besides his "writing partner" of course.)  And even if they do have nothing better to do, which I doubt, what kind of a creep passes on that kind of petty and nasty gossip without even having the balls to back it up? At least I don't have to hide behind made up club members to call him out.   All this creep can do is hide behind a bunch of nameless clubbys and attribute to them vague insults obviously of his own making.   As if I give a shit about what he says his "crowd" might have said about me.   As if his merely mentioning that they are members at Merion is supposed to make us shake in our boots and bow in deference.  Give me a break!  If anyone from Merion has anything to say to me, they can figure out how to find me.  Those at Merion didn't ask to be misrepresented by some pompous blowhard to whom they wouldn't give the time of day were it not for his bloodline.

Now watch, the creep will start on about how I have insulted Merion.   I haven't insulted Merion or any member of Merion, save maybe one.  My comments indict no one but him, and while he is wont to forget it he isn't even a member of Merion.  

Plus, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if it weren't for you endlessly trying to defend this creep with your half-assed excuses for his behavior.   All he has done is accidentally mis-trascribe a few quotes . . .  It is all just rumors . . .credibility is a relative thing . . . we all get carried away now an then . . . I don't care how awful he is so long as he is nice to me . . .  He has earned the position of USGA Archivist.   All bullshit, and embarrassingly dishonest bullshit at that.

Not even his ever loyal Mike Cirba is still defending him at this point, but there you are spinning excuses about him about as fast as he can spin yarns about the history of golf course architecture in America.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:29:52 AM by DMoriarty »

DMoriarty

« Reply #1713 on: January 20, 2011, 12:46:39 AM »
Jeff Brauer,

Well look at that.  Just when you thought he couldn't get any lower.   And what a surprise to see you right there with him, yucking it up.  As usual you guys have only a bit of the story and are apparently just using your imaginations from there.  You two are real class acts, that is for sure.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:15:21 AM by DMoriarty »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1714 on: January 20, 2011, 06:30:30 AM »
Did I wander on to bloodfeud.com by mistake?

While you two can post whatever you want to attempt to embarass TePaul, to whatever degree you succeed, it is my humble opinion that you will embarass yourselves more.

Jeff
Based on his past and present behavior I don't think it is possible for TEP to be embarrassed so why drag innocents into this fiasco. I won't stoop to his level, and your level.

Sean_A

« Reply #1715 on: January 20, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »

And I hate to break it to you Jeff, but I'd no sooner turn to you on matters of humor than I would on matters of history.  While you consider yourself quite an expert on both, you are equally ill equipped to deal with either.

David

I don't know, Jeff seems an amiable guy with a good sense of humour.  I for one appreciate his quips and forthright architectural opinions.  I'm not trying to tell you who to run down, but having guys in the industry hanging round this site is a major plus. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1716 on: January 22, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »
Morton J. Henry won the club championship at Brookline and Myopia in 1895, and was runner-up at Essex County. I'm not sure if that was the first official championship at Myopia, or not. He defeated QA Shaw in the Myopia final.

There is an interesting profile of Henry in the December 1895 issue of the Golfer.

"...Mr. Henry was among the first in New England, certainly, and possibly the entire country, to be attracted by the possibilities of the ancient and royal game of recreative enjoyment, athletic exercise and manual skill. He commenced playing on the course laid out by Mr. HH Hunnewell, Jr., at his extensive and beautiful country seat at Wellesley, -- one of the first, if not the first golf links in this section. The novices in golf at the Hunnelwell course formed a self-tutored set of players at the time, and it was two years later, when Campbell was engaged by the Country Club as instructor at Brookline. Mr. Henry is frank in acknowledgment of his indebtedness to Campbell, and also to Mackerell for the proficiency he acquired under their instruction. It will be readily understood that he was an apt scholar when certain fact are stated relating to his fondness for field sports. Mr. Henry is now in the 26th year, having been born August 23, 1870. in Montgomery County, Penn. His boyhood was passed in Philadelphia, and as resident of the Quaker City, it was in the natural order of things that he should develop a fondness for cricket..."

"...The practice of golf which Mr. Henry indulged in at Wellesley was kept up during the autumn of 1893. After that it was a full year before he began once more playing, and when he did it was at the Essex County course, in Manchester. Here during the past summer and autumn he was on of the most constant of the member in work on the green, devoting to golf every moment he could spare from business..."
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:01:07 PM by Tom MacWood »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1717 on: January 22, 2011, 12:05:30 PM »
Tom,

I believe I posted that article previously, but it's a good one...thanks.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1718 on: January 22, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
Mike
Sorry. I don't recall you posting it, and I thought you didn't post from magazines.

Another interesting tidbit, HC Leeds won the first TCC club championship in 1893. I wonder if that was before or around the same time as the winter golf in November and December 1893?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1719 on: January 22, 2011, 12:21:21 PM »
Tom,

I hand typed the article.  More about your other comment later when I have time.  Thanks.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1720 on: January 22, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »
In the last couple of days I picked up two club histories, The Country Club 1882-1932 written by Frederic Curtiss & John Heard and History of Essex County Club 1893-1993 by George Caner.

TCC history is pretty similar to the two later histories, which rely heavily on Laurence Curtis's account in the 1895 article. They have Campbell being hired in 1894 to serve in the spring and autumn. There is no mention of WB Thomas's role. They have Leeds winning the first club championship in 1893 over Laurence Curtis and WB Thomas. Leeds won it again in 1894. The book has Campbell expanding the course in 1894, and just prior to the Davis v Campbell match. The course was lengthened again in 1895. Thats about it for the early years.

The Essex County history quotes an article from the 1893 Manchester Cricket that nine hole course was laid out down the field from the tennis courts toward the summer side of the street, and A. R. Campbell of St. andrews was in charge. The 1893 course was revised the next year, and according to an article written by J. Warren Merrill in 1895 it went from nine holes to eleven. In 1895 an additional 34 acres was purchased, as a result three new holes were built, eliminating three others, leaving a 9-hold course according to the book. Its a little confusing because the author says the 1896 retained the third, fourth, seventh, eighth, first and second hole of the 1895 course. He also gives the impression there was a 1893 course, 1894 course, and a 1895 course. It is not clear. There is no mention who was involved in 1893, 1894, 1895 or 1896.

The author claims Tom Bendelow was an assistant pro in 1896 and was involved in building the greens that year, and may have possibly designed the golf course. He goes on to quote him extensively from an in article in Golfing. I think its possible the author confused Essex County in NJ with ECC in Massachusetts.

Later in the book discusses the first pros at the club, AR Campbell & Willie Campbell. He quotes the Cricket report once again, and has no other info on AR Campbell. He mentions Willie Campbell was induced to come to America by WB Thomas, and the arrangement he had with TCC and Essex County that first year. It quotes another article in the Cricket how Essex had become 'golf mad' since Campbell arrived. In 1895 Campbell was back full time at TCC, and was at Myopia in 1896, and then went to Franklin Park.

I have found one mention of AR Campbell of Essex was in the Boston Advertiser 7/29/1893, but it is AB Campbell, of St. Andrews, not AR. The report claims he will be arriving August 1. I have found no other mention of him, in fact I have found no pro called AB Campbell on either side of the Atlantic. I'm wondering if there was some confusion with the name.  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:58:37 PM by Tom MacWood »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1721 on: January 22, 2011, 02:16:02 PM »
This is from an article (Golf and Golf Clubs, April 1896) in the National Magazine by Arthur Tarbell:

"Golf was played on the links of the Essex County Club at Manchester, Mass, as early as the spring of 1893. At that time a few enthusiasts swung the driver and cleek in unpracticed hands, and putted much dented golf balls into flower-pots that served for holes, in the field close by the scarcely completed clubhouse. At first there were five holes in a star-shaped pattern with much crossing, which mattered little when so few played. Toward the end of the season, however, interest increased greatly and those who at first had come to scoff the remained to play. Next year witnessed extensive improvements both on the clubhouse and on the links. The latter was lengthened and relaid to such an extent that the course rapidly proved itself more excellent than had been anticipated. The opening of the present season was marked by the acquisition of a large tract of new land available for golfing purposes, and the construction of new nine-hole course. The result now is that the Essex County Club has come to be considered on the ranking exponents of the sport in the country."

From the same Boston Advertiser 7/29/1893 article I quoted earlier provisions for a golf grounds had been made; TJ Coolidge Jr, WE Putnam and Lucious Sargent were the committee in charge. Tennis courts had been laid out, as well as polo, baseball and football fields had been arranged. The grounds were laid out under the direction of CE Cotting, TJ Coolidge, Samuel Knight, PE Simpson, and CJ Morse. WB Thomas was on the house committee.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:21:02 PM by Tom MacWood »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1722 on: January 22, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
I found this advertisement January 1896 issue of the Golfer:

Golf Links Laid Out.

An expert Golfer will lay out links at reasonable rates in the New England and Middle States. He has laid out a number of the links in this country, and guarantees perfect satisfaction. Loam, Dressing and Sods supplied. Address for charges,

L.J. & W. J. DOOGUE
298 BOYLSTON STREET BOSTON, MASS, USA

I suspect the expert golfer is Willie Campbell. William Doogue was the long time superintendent of the common and public grounds in Boston. Is this the first golf architect advertisement in America?

DMoriarty

« Reply #1723 on: January 22, 2011, 03:50:32 PM »
I've seen that add quite a few times as well, but never made the connection to Campbell.  I always thought that Doogue was the designer, but thought it odd I had never heard of any courses designed by him.  Campbell makes much more sense.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1724 on: January 22, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »
I should have mentioned the advertisement right about it is also for LJ & WJ Doogue, Florists and Landscape Gardeners. If the expert is Campbell, it maybe one of the first cases of a golf architect and a dedicated construction operation joining forces.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:30:05 AM by Tom MacWood »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back