News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Willie Campbell & Myopia
« Reply #375 on: December 02, 2010, 03:11:30 PM »
In the meantime, since it seems to be only Week's book you have some access to, I suggest you read the entire Chapter III that is entitled "Golf: Herbert C. Leeds and the Long Nine." In it you will see various references to the Long Nine and the timing of it including the fact that it was done and ready to be reviewed and approved by the USGA apparently in 1897 for its scheduling for the June 1898 US Open.

DMoriarty

« Reply #376 on: December 02, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »
In the meantime, since it seems to be only Week's book you have some access to, I suggest you read the entire Chapter III that is entitled "Golf: Herbert C. Leeds and the Long Nine." In it you will see various references to the Long Nine and the timing of it including the fact that it was done and ready to be reviewed and approved by the USGA apparently in 1897 for its scheduling for the June 1898 US Open.

I don't have the Myopia history, but I don't think this is quite right.  My understanding is that Myopia was not approved as the site for the Open until the March 30, 1898, Executive Committee meeting.  

At the annual meeting (February 1898) they had decided to separate the two tournaments, but at that time there was no club that had offered to take the Open (although St. Andrews was willing to take it if they also got the Amateur.)   So the clubs punted to the Executive Committee, giving them power to find and approve a club.   Myopia had not been represented at the meeting, and apparently the USGA convinced them to take the tournament.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #377 on: December 02, 2010, 07:43:08 PM »
TEP
This illustrates the problem with relying on a single source of info, like a club history...which is compounded when you add your own unsupported speculation. Since you've not conducted any independent research you are at a disadvantage, you don't know how well researched the club history was, and in this case it wasn't very well researched. Not knowing Willie Campbell's connection to Myopia and to early Boston golf was huge a blind spot for Weeks. Campbell coming to America was a big story in 1894 on both sides of the Atlantic, and his impact on Boston and New England golf was also a very big story, especially in Boston. If Weeks had known that (which would have required the most basic research of looking at the NY Times or Boston Globe) he wouldn't have made so many mistakes. There was no new long nine, the 9-hole golf course in 1896 (prior to Leeds) was the same golf course they played the 1898 Open on. By the way the 1896 course was considered one of the longest golf courses in America.

TEPaul

« Reply #378 on: December 02, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »
"There was no new long nine, the 9-hole golf course in 1896 (prior to Leeds) was the same golf course they played the 1898 Open on. By the way the 1896 course was considered one of the longest golf courses in America."

Tom MacWood:

The nine hole course that Leeds was asked to develop after he became a member of Myopia (1896) was the same nine old course (known as the Long Nine) they played the 1898 US Open on. But it was not entirely the same nine hole course as the original 1894 nine. Some of the holes were in the same places but not all of them and the Long Nine that Leeds developed was considerably longer than the original 1894 nine with a few greens moved and three holes added. Three holes on the original 1894 nine did not exist on the Long Nine and three holes on the Long Nine did not exist on the 1894 nine. The remaining six holes of the 1898 Long Nine (that Leeds developed) on which the 1898 US Open was played were all longer and/or considerably longer than those six holes in essentially the same place on the original 1894 nine.

I wouldn't expect you to understand this because you've never researched the history of the course at Myopia and you've never seen the club and consequently you apparently don't understand the make-up of the property or of the three iterations of courses on it. You would have to both go to the course and study its property as well as its records to understand all this in its entirety.

And it's not really a matter of what Weeks didn't write in his centennial history of 1875, it is what the club's records and archives show. Weeks actually only identified and described six of the original holes of the 1894 nine even though all the nine holes of the 1898 Long Nine are identified and described in his 1975 book.

THIS is essentially what I have asked you to try to explain about ten times on here but you ignored the question every single time. The reason why is obvious----eg you just never figured it out or knew it. If and when you do figure it out I have no doubt whatsoever you will claim the following day you knew it all along. THAT is your MO on here and it is also your problem on here---eg you apparently constitutional refuse to admit that you can possibly learn anything on this website from anyone and particularly me. Don't worry, I don't expect you to admit it; you never have and I don't expect you ever will.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:49:38 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #379 on: December 02, 2010, 08:53:46 PM »
1896               1898
380 -                397
423 -                428
100 -                135
250 -                235
300 -                396
250 -                235
400 -                380
510 -                510
250 -                240

TEP
Here is the course in 1896 and the course that hosted the 1898 Open. Which three holes did not exist in 1898?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:55:23 PM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #380 on: December 02, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »
Tom MacWood:

All true in your last post. Unfortunately neither of those listings was the yardages or all the same holes of the original 1894 nine hole course. No wonder you refused to try to answer or even acknowledge that question I've asked you about ten times over a period of a year or more!! I don't think at this point you even have the slightest idea what I'm even talking about.

Why don't you do all of us all a favor and see if you can visit the place for the first time next year? Once you see it and with my help with the basic chronological research you may begin to figure it out but I won't be betting much on even that!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:03:09 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #381 on: December 02, 2010, 09:03:06 PM »

"Since the beginning of golf at Myopia Hunt club in 1894 the club has essentially had three golf course iterations:

1. The original 1894 nine.
2. The so-called "Long Nine" that was begun in 1896 and used for the 1898 US Open.
3. The eighteen hole course begun in 1898-99 (shown in that plan above) that was used for the 1901, 1906 and 1908 US Opens and happens to be remarkably similar to the course as it exists today.

Was the original nine changed prior to 1896? Maybe you should write your own history.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:08:55 PM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #382 on: December 02, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »
Tom MacWood:

You may want to do a bit of work on the semantics of that first sentence. On your second sentence, essentially I did just that; I consult with Myopia anyway and I am its contact for the USGA Architectural Archives. I did explain to them that three of the holes of the original 1894 nine were not exactly identified or described in Weeks' book other than their general area (confirmed by the club records). Interestingly enough they may've actually returned in some form at least when Leeds created the entire eighteen hole course that was used for the 1901, 1906 and 1908 US Opens!  ;)

I hope you are finally learning something but don't worry I won't be expecting you to admit it. The reason it all may've happened this way is actually really interesting regarding the entire history of Myopia Hunt and then Myopia Hunt club that featured hunting and polo up to twenty years before they agreed to include golf.

The dynamics are interesting as hell (also included in the club records) but they were certainly not unusual for clubs that evolved as Myopia did. There were a few others with very similar dynamics. Best examples including Meadowbrook, Piping Rock etc.

The world of the horse and its sport and recreation----the world of golf----strange and disquieting bedfellows at first that ended up eventually co-existing and probably not the least reason being the automobile was on the horizon right around this time!  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #383 on: December 02, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »
"Was the original nine changed prior to 1896?"

Tom MacWood:

No, the original 1894 nine was not changed PRIOR to 1896; it begun to be changed in 1896 or shortly thereafter when Herbert C. Leeds came from the CC of Brookline to Myopia Hunt club and was asked to change it; which he did into what has long been called the "Long Nine" on which the 1898 US Open was played; the first US Open that was separated in time and place from the US Amateur!

Actually, the primary reason the US Open was separated in time and place from the US Amateur in 1898 is historically very, very interesting. Can you imagine what that primary reason was, Tom MacWood? Has your "independent" research ever given you any inclination into why that may've been?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:28:33 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #384 on: December 02, 2010, 10:47:35 PM »
Specifically how did it change?

DMoriarty

« Reply #385 on: December 02, 2010, 11:09:39 PM »
Not sure if Tom MacWood has posted these before or not, but here are two more snippets about the beginning of golf at Myopia, both from the Boston Evening Transcript.

From May 19, 1894, suggesting that the course had not yet been laid out.

From June 23, 1894, indicating that Willie Campbell laid out the course and also providing a number of details, thus suggesting that the information came from someone involved with the course. (This almost always seems to have been the case with these newspaper blurbs.)

Note also that the article lists the names of the holes.  Three of the names (kennels, bulbrushes, and pond) were still in use in 1898.  Two other of the names (and their relative order) somewhat correspond to names from 1898 (hills-alps and dale-valley.)  Four of the names were different in 1898 (Miles River, shooting box, track, and school vs. the orient, high, home, and prairie.)  

I also recall one blurb indicating that the course was changed for the 1895 golfing season.  If so, is it possible that changes these changes created the "long nine" before Leeds even joined the club?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #386 on: December 02, 2010, 11:20:59 PM »
I'm not sure if some of the names came in and out fashion, but Miles River was used in 1900 and 1908 for what is the current 4th. That is a pretty good hole.

TEPaul

« Reply #387 on: December 03, 2010, 12:25:49 AM »
"Specifically how did it change?"

Tom MacWood:

But that is precisely what I asked you about a dozen times over the last year or so. If you can't even attempt to answer THAT how can you continue to claim on here you know much of anything about the architectural history and evolution of Myopia Hunt Club?

What you need to DO is to stop asking others endless questions about the clubs and subjects you pretend to know something about or just give it up.

ONCE AGAIN, Tom MacWood, what are the differences between the holes of the original 1894 nine hole course of Myopia and the 1898 Long Nine that Leeds designed and on which they held the 1898 US Open? How many hints do I need to give you before you even begin to figure this out?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:27:47 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #388 on: December 03, 2010, 12:48:57 AM »
"Note also that the article lists the names of the holes."

David:

You are on a ROLL! In the last week you are good----really GOOD!!

I have actually never seen that article you just posted but JUST LOOK at the name of the ninth hole on that original 1894 nine!!! It both makes and confirms my point about the most significant difference between the original 1894 nine and the 1898 "Long Nine" that they held the 1898 US Open on!

Have you figured out why? Do you have any idea YET? I'm pretty sure Tom MacWood doesn't and he may never understand it until someone takes him there and explains it to him like one explains to a child Santa Claus does not really exist!

I just knew it! The Myopia records from 1894 and 1895 allude to it-----eg golf was not to be near hunting or particularly polo OR the clubhouse-----and consequently where did the original 1894 nine end? It ended right next to where it began (the present 2nd hole) on the POND HOLE!!!!!  ;)

Thank you so much for that article. I've never seen it before and it completely explains what I've explained to Myopia in the last two years about where their 1894 original nine hole course ended.

NOW, where were those three holes on that  original 1894 hole nine that are unaccounted for?

Can you read the chapter "Golf: HerberT C. Leeds and the Long Nine" Tom MacWood and get some inkling about what this is all about? I've asked you this ten times and you still haven't figured it out. Why is that buckoo?  ;)

Are you able to accept YET what it means that you have never been there, never seen the course or the property and have never seen any of the club's records from back then? Do you really think you can understand a golf course's architectual evolution without that? Do you really think you can figure that out from your Ivory Tower through just newspaper articles?

Now, Tom MacWood, for the twelfth time, WHERE do you think those unaccounted for three holes on the 1894 original nine hole course WERE????  ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:03:06 AM by TEPaul »

DMoriarty

« Reply #389 on: December 03, 2010, 01:08:39 AM »
TEPaul,

Interesting theory Tom, but take a look at the photos I posted on the previous page, particularly the first photo.   It is from the 1898 open and is labeled "View from the First Tee."

As you know, I've never been to Myopia, but the pictured hole seems to correspond to what is marked as the 2nd tee on the later maps.   If so, then as of the 1898 Open the first tee was still not next to the clubhouse. 

TEPaul

« Reply #390 on: December 03, 2010, 01:30:34 AM »
David:

All I can say in response to your last post is it sure seems you have neither been to Myopia nor understand the particulars of the three iterations of its golf course!

You know, you asked me a pretty good question on this thread about what would I think if I was in your position on this subject of Myopia. At this point, I would say it is very necessary for you to actually see the golf course. I've said the same to Tom MacWood in the past but that is definitely not going to happen. He will never get off his ass and leave Ivory Tower, Ohio. But if he did, I doubt Myopia would accept or entertain him at this point. That club is not quite as naturally accommodating as we and Merion and MCC are, you know?  ;)

But if you want to talk to me on ths thread about Myopia, please feel free to do so.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:54:04 AM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #391 on: December 03, 2010, 10:06:17 AM »
"Note also that the article lists the names of the holes."

David:

You are on a ROLL! In the last week you are good----really GOOD!!

I have actually never seen that article you just posted but JUST LOOK at the name of the ninth hole on that original 1894 nine!!! It both makes and confirms my point about the most significant difference between the original 1894 nine and the 1898 "Long Nine" that they held the 1898 US Open on!

Have you figured out why? Do you have any idea YET? I'm pretty sure Tom MacWood doesn't and he may never understand it until someone takes him there and explains it to him like one explains to a child Santa Claus does not really exist!

I just knew it! The Myopia records from 1894 and 1895 allude to it-----eg golf was not to be near hunting or particularly polo OR the clubhouse-----and consequently where did the original 1894 nine end? It ended right next to where it began (the present 2nd hole) on the POND HOLE!!!!!  ;)

Thank you so much for that article. I've never seen it before and it completely explains what I've explained to Myopia in the last two years about where their 1894 original nine hole course ended.

NOW, where were those three holes on that  original 1894 hole nine that are unaccounted for?

Can you read the chapter "Golf: HerberT C. Leeds and the Long Nine" Tom MacWood and get some inkling about what this is all about? I've asked you this ten times and you still haven't figured it out. Why is that buckoo?  ;)

Are you able to accept YET what it means that you have never been there, never seen the course or the property and have never seen any of the club's records from back then? Do you really think you can understand a golf course's architectual evolution without that? Do you really think you can figure that out from your Ivory Tower through just newspaper articles?

Now, Tom MacWood, for the twelfth time, WHERE do you think those unaccounted for three holes on the 1894 original nine hole course WERE????  ;)

TEP
I don't know, please tell us, or if you wish turn this thread into some kind of childish game. You often turn these threads into a free for all when you are not confident of your information, and that seems to the be the case here.

Here are some of the reasons your theory that a new Long Nine was built by Leeds starting in 1896 is off.

1. The names of the holes, the yardage of the holes, and the total yardage of the course remained virtually the same between 1896 and 1898.

2. There is no reference to any changes to the course in newspapers or periodicals in 1896 and 1897. The first mention I have found was in the The Golfer magazine April 1898 when it was reported Myopia was building a new nine which would make the course 18 holes. There were similar reports in Boston and NY papers in 1899.

3. Leeds only became a member of Myopia in the later half of 1896, and Willie Campbell was still the pro at the time. It is completely illogical that the club would turn to a brand new member, with limited golfing experience, when they had one of the foremost experts in the world (and without question the foremost expert in America) at their doorstep.

4. I have not found reference to anyone referring to the Myopia course as the Long Nine in newspapers or magazines, and believe me there was a lot written about the course. It was considered a long 9-hole course by the standards of the day, but the idea there was separate nine hole course built called the Long Nine to replace their current 9-hole course is goofy.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:37:08 AM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #392 on: December 03, 2010, 10:46:07 AM »
"As you know, I've never been to Myopia, but the pictured hole seems to correspond to what is marked as the 2nd tee on the later maps.   If so, then as of the 1898 Open the first tee was still not next to the clubhouse."

David:

That's correct. As of the 1898 US Open the first tee was still not next to the clubhouse. In the 1898 US Open the first tee was what is today the 2nd tee. When Leeds developed the full eighteen hole course that was used in the 1901 US Open the present first hole was in play. You can see its green in your third photograph on the preceding page (the photo caption reads "The First Green. David Brown putting").

By the way, there are some other photographs of Myopia in The Golfer of 1898. That magazine was the official publication of the USGA (and some other associations). As you know I don't know how to post photographs and such on here. Do you have access to that magazine?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:49:00 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #393 on: December 03, 2010, 12:33:02 PM »
"TEP
I don't know, please tell us, or if you wish turn this thread into some kind of childish game. You often turn these threads into a free for all when you are not confident of your information, and that seems to the be the case here."

Tom MacWood:

This is no childish game and either is this thread which started well over a year ago and was started by you, I might add, in some attempt to prove  Willie Campbell laid out the original 1894 nine at Myopia in the spring of 1894 rather than the three Myopia members (Appleton, Merrill and Gardner) who the club's records of that time record laid out the original nine holes in the early spring of 1894.

I have asked you about a dozen times to try to explain where all the holes of the original 1894 nine were. You have refused to attempt to answer that question about a dozen times over the last year and more and the reason has been obvious----eg you just don't know because you've never been to this golf club or researched its early history at the golf club via the club‘s own records from that time. I have merely asked you to answer that question to establish the fact that you either do or don't know where some of those holes were on the original 1894 nine hole course.

So now we know that you didn't know, and apparently still don’t know judging from your last post of today, and that that was the reason you refused to attempt to answer that question a dozen times in the last year and more.

Therefore, I will explain to you where those three holes were (albeit not exactly what they were because there is no known record of what they were extant today that I’m aware of or that Weeks was aware of) that have heretofore been unaccounted for on the 1894 nine by everyone other than me (I explained this to Myopia a year or two ago).

Those three 1894 holes were almost entirely on Dr S.A. Hopkins property and they are named in that article above "Miles River," "Shooting Box," and "Track." From "Track" the next hole was "School" which is today the 8th hole and was the 2nd hole on Leeds' "Long Nine" which was used for the 1898 US Open. There were no holes in play on the Long Nine on Dr S.A. Hopkins property. The three holes that replaced those three unaccounted for holes on the original 1894 nine (Miles River, Shooting Box, Track) on the Long Nine are "Orient", "High" and "Home"----#7, #8, #9 on the Long Nine and #14, #15 and #16 on the eighteen hole course Leeds developed and was used for the 1901.

Again, this proves you really have never understood Myopia’s architectural history and the differences between the original 1894 nine hole course and the Long Nine that Leeds developed and was used for the 1898 US Open. It appears you still don’t understand it or refuse to accept the facts of Myopia’s early architectural history! However, there it is above for you to consider and hopefully understand. But if you still choose to deny it I’m frankly not aware of anyone who cares if you deny it.

By the way, although Dr S.A. Hopkins’s land was used for some holes on the 1894 nine, his land was not used for holes with the Long Nine. However when Leeds developed the eighteen hole course in 1899 and 1900 the club bought Dr. Hopkins’ land and it is today the green end of #4, #5, #6 and most of #7!

So, there you have the three iterations of the courses of Myopia Hunt Club from 1894 until today----eg 1. The original 1894 nine laid out by Appleton, Merrill and Gardner (apparently with Campbell helping them somehow after it was routed), 2. The Long Nine developed by Herbert Leeds and, 3. The full eighteen hole course developed by Leeds, in play in 1900, and the same course in its entirety that is still there today.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:42:29 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #394 on: December 03, 2010, 01:34:37 PM »
TEP
First of all Squire & Co did not layout the course in the Spring 1894. On March 13 the Myopia Hunt Club decided to build a golf links at their annual meeting held in Boston. Willie Campbell arrived in Boston the first week of April (brought to America by WB Thomas, a member of Myopia and other Boston clubs). In June it was reported Willie Campbell laid out the Myopia course and it officially opened on June 18.

You seem to be saying the original 1894 golf course was partially on land the club did not own. The club had 200+ acres at their disposal but for whatever reason they ventured off to an adjoining property. Where did you come up with this information? What year did they decide they better get off Dr. Hopkins' land?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:37:14 PM by Tom MacWood »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #395 on: December 03, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
David,

On May 13th, 1894 the Boston Daily Globe had a similar report that made clear that the location for the course had been determined but the holes had yet to be "laid out".

the summer at Hamilton.
-A flock of sheep will soon provide a
picturesque feature Irt the landscape at
the Myopia hunt grounds In HamUton
The sheep will serye a utilitarian end
at the same time. They will be pastured
over the tract on which the golf links
will be laid out, and win crop the sur
face close and smooth; This links will
be so situated as to^ allow spectators to
view.from an elevated point the work of
the players over the whole course. Golf
play will probably begin June 1.
-Dr Henry C. Spauldlng and family

Mike Cirba

« Reply #396 on: December 03, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »
Incidentally, Willie Campbell was the pro at Essex Country Club when he first arrived on these shores, moving to The Country Club in the fall of that year.

On April 15, 1894, it was reported;

In Hamilton.
Messrs J. Watson Merrill, R. M. Ap
pleton and W. A. Burnham of the Myopia
Hunt club's committee on field sports, have
been appointed as a sub committee to take
Measures for the introduction this season
of the game of golf at the Kennels.

That same day it was reported;

The season at the Essex county club at
West Manchester will begin about .lune 10.
Among' the new features in field sports
will be introduced the same of golf, instruction
in which will be imparted to club
members by Prof Campbell.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #397 on: December 03, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »
On June 17th, 1894, it was reported;

Mr Herbert Leeds, who went to
Bar Harbor last week with his mother,
h a s returned to town, but will go back
l a t e r . While there he looked over the
ground at Kebo valley, and arranged
for the new game, golf, which promises
to be the favorite game of the season
t h e r e . The facilities for playing it at
Kebo a r e very good. Mr Leeds is quite
a n enthusiast over the sport, as, too, is
his nephew, Mr E. S. Goddard.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #398 on: December 03, 2010, 02:56:36 PM »
June 10th, 1894,

•Bunker Hill day will be observed
at the Myopia hunt by the initial games
in two newly laid out golf links. The
expert players who will take part are
Mr W. B. Thomas, Mr R. M. Appleton,
Mr A. P. Gardner and Mr T. Wattson
Merrill.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #399 on: December 03, 2010, 03:11:58 PM »
Sept 18, 1894

Champion Willie Campbell will leave
the Essex country club for the Country
club of Brookllne on Oct 1. He will instruct there during the following month
and then sail for Europe.   He has an engagement with the committee of the
Pau links in the south of France for the winter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back