News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Willie Campbell & Myopia
« Reply #1750 on: January 28, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »
TMac,

Good enough questions.

As to Weeks, he did say there was some speculation, but also listed several specific holes he apparently knew the origins and changes to, and noted that there are some that they really don't know where they were.  To me, saying what he specifically knows and what he doesn't adds to credibility.  I listed above the holes that he writes are known to have existed, and you will note that they are shorter than was current.

It is a matter of opinion whether saving any of Willie's holes and/or hole corridords is impressive or not.  It just is what it is.

As to Cornish, it probably has nothing to do with him specifically laying out any course near Boston.  He actually lists 32 early North American designers, most of them Scots who had multiple course designs in the US.  He says scores of others designed only one course in that era.  Cornish calls Williie Davis and the Dunns the pioneers and lumps Campbell in there with the other 25 or so Scots.

So, again, it is a matter of opinion as to how important Campbell was relatively speaking, with Cornish's differing from yours.  That said, I tend to agree with you that all of these early guys may be worth some study.

BTW, I will agree with you that Mike is trying to hard to make a point of the Campbell article - while true that the courses in 1902 were no longer Campbell courses, it doesn't change whatever happened and whatever his involvement was earlier.  

EDIT:

TMac,

I will also "cut you off at the pass" by saying that I know your premise is that all those guys were lumped together by earlier historians, which you think is an omission whose time it is to start correcting, and I agree.  Thus, posting a dozen year old piece that lumps 32 early designers together does nothing more than prove your point to be true.  Again, I agree.  You are trying to look deeper into each of these guys than Cornish's survey of early golf writings (and his commentary) purported to do.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 03:40:32 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1751 on: January 28, 2011, 04:07:19 PM »
Tom MacWood,

That article was syndicated and appeared in many papers.

We've had a lot of discussion here about relying solely on news articles on attribution questions, and much like those earlier gossip columns that contained all sorts of silly errors this article paints a very poor, wholly incomplete picture that is worse than useless for determining course authorship.

Imagine if all of the records and reports of Leeds had been lost over time...someone finding that article online would bring it here and try to make the case that the 1902 Myopia course that hosted US Opens was all the work of Willie Campbell.

Similarly, and more to my point about Windeler, have you ever seen a modern account outside the club history book that credits anyone except Campbell and Flynn?  I sure haven't.

So our two sources saying Campbell laid out Myopia are error-ridden gossip columns and then reminisces from his widow eight years later after his death when she wasn't here in this country when it happened.

So, I still believe that Campbell helped with the course but those are not exactly iron-clad proof by a long shot.

DMoriarty

« Reply #1752 on: January 28, 2011, 04:28:48 PM »
Jeff Brauer,

I missed the part above where you accuse me of implying that Cornish was a blathering idiot.   Another example of you making things up.  And Campbell was not "just one of the boys" in America in 1894.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1753 on: January 29, 2011, 12:52:33 PM »

The original 6-hole course was laid out in the Spring of 1893, not 1892. Willie Campbell laid out a new 9-hole course in 1894, and lengthened it in 1895. In January or February of 1896 (it was reported in the March issue of The Golfer) the golf committee - Quincy A. Shaw, Laurence Curtis and Geo. E. Cabot - sent out a circular to the membership that the present course was inadequate. They proposed new land be secured and the course expanded to 18 holes at a cost of $20 per member. I don't know if it went to vote, and if it did the result, but I do know the course was not expanded until 1899, and beginning in 1896 QA Shaw and Herbert Leeds, Brookline's two best golfers, were playing at Myopia. In March of 1896 it was announced Campbell would not be rehired at Brookline, and by the summer of '96 he was the pro at Myopia.

According to a 1914 article in Golf Illustrated, written by John G. Anderson (regarding Francis Ouimet & TCC) it appears the circular was shot down, which may explain the exodus to Myopia. 

"But in 1895 so much enthusiasm was rampant that plans were made to buy the Baker estate and convert the nine into an eighteen-hole links. Early the following year a circular was issued asking that 200 members subscribe an amount not exceeding $20 each. The response was disappointing and nothing was done. However, the matter was not dropped and two years later, January 18, 1898, to be exact, the club appropriate $42,000 to buy land and construct the course. there was countless difficulties to be overcome, the land was woody and patience combined with hard work accomplished wonders and on October 7, 1899, the new eighteen-hole course was opened with a match between Alec Campbell and John Jones." 

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1754 on: January 30, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »
Call me a masochist, but this is one possibility for the layout of the original nine hole course at Myopia, based on a few assumptions;

1) The names of the holes would indicate that the first hole and final four are pretty well known.

2) The idea that golf was played on Dr. Hopkins land

3) The name of the second hole being "Miles River", leading me to believe it would have played towards the river, and towards today's 4th green.

4) The statement by Weeks that a shortened version of today's 8th hole was in play.   He claimed it was the second hole but I think he was incorrect.   

5) A picture I've seen recently that shows clearly that the land that today is very heaviliy treed to the right of today's 4th and 5th holes was simply open pastureland.   

and finally...

6) The statement by John P. May that the original course played at 2,025 yards.

All locations are meant to be approximated, based on some separate Google Earth measuring.

Bring on the Tongs!  ;)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #1755 on: January 30, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »
Dear Mike,

Thanks for still using MS Paint 0.9 beta on your Windows 2.89 box.

Sincerely,

W. Gates and P. Allen

;)  :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1756 on: January 30, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »
Dear Joe,

Thanks for increasing our Market Share.   Now even Kyle Harris has one of our devices.

Sincerely,
Steve Jobs

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1757 on: January 30, 2011, 02:53:53 PM »
I was continuing my read of Geoff Cornish's "18 stakes on a Sunday afternoon", a collection of golf architecture related writings over the last 100 years.  One piece is from a 1999 Golf Journal article, which states in passing that Beaver Meadow Golf Course in Concord, NH is proud to have its course by legendary Willie Campbell in an untouched state.

Geoff lets this pass without additional comment, but when I Googled the course, many websites give him credit for a 1965 design or redesign, although most say it was open in 1896.  Nothing in the photo suggests an untouched Campbell course.

So, it raises the question in my mind....are there any greens or features done by WC that are truly untouched?

TMac, do you know of any from your research?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1758 on: January 31, 2011, 09:22:17 AM »
Anyone.....anyone?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1759 on: January 31, 2011, 09:33:31 AM »
Jeff,

I'm not sure, is the short answer.  

Probably the one that has the best chance would be the green on today's par three 7th at TCC, which seems to be a Campbell hole that survived and that most accounts mention as the oldest green out there.   Tom MacWood believes some other holes there may have survived but we haven't yet had that discussion in-depth...if I understand him correctly he may also be thinking about today's 2nd green, 14th green, and 17th green, although I'm not sure if it's more the green that survived or the holes.

At Myopia...hmmm...if it was indeed designed by Campbell then the greens that might be original in my mind would probably be today's 8th and possibly today's 11th, although it was played from near the 10th tee originally.   I believe most of the others we know about have changed either location or construct.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1760 on: January 31, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »
Mike,

Thanks. It would be cool to know.  That USGA article did comment on how hard it is to substantiate those type of claims as being untouched.  But, I will take a look at the TCC aerials when I get a chance. I recall thinking those couple of greens looked pretty old fashioned at TCC while attending the Ryder Cup there. 

As discussed in the Rees Jones thread, it appeared he kept the fill pads when reworking the bunkers there.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1761 on: January 31, 2011, 10:22:55 AM »
Trying to guess what the original nine looked like is an exercise in futility IMO, especially considering the speculation is based largely on Weeks suspect book. I'd be surprised if the original nine ran off the Myopia property as Weeks suggested. Three of Mike's holes are on land owned by Hopkins. Also the seond hole was known as Kennels, Mike's second hole is no where near the kennels.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1762 on: January 31, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »
Trying to guess what the original nine looked like is an exercise in futility IMO, especially considering the speculation is based largely on Weeks suspect book. I'd be surprised if the original nine ran off the Myopia property as Weeks suggested. Three of Mike's holes are on land owned by Hopkins. Also the seond hole was known as Kennels, Mike's second hole is no where near the kennels.

Tom,

Actually, the first hole was known as "Kennels" and while the course generally is nowhere near the kennels, the first hole (today's 2nd) went out towards them.   Believe me, I could hear them barking when I was on this green and the next.  

It was a short, 300 yard version of today's 2nd hole.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1763 on: January 31, 2011, 10:27:31 AM »
Tom,

I agree that Mike's guess is probably flawed, as it is useless (but fun) to try to figure out where it went.  I recalled the second hole being called Kennels from your earlier post.  The only interest I would have in such a routing is, as above, to see which 2-3 fill pads might be Willie Campbell fill pads for greens, so if I ever get there again, I could see what some real Willie Campbell work might look like.

I would not be surprised if some holes did run on Hopkins land, though.  I know you posted earlier that "it made no sense" and it probably doesn't, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen that way!

BTW, do you know of any WC features left at any golf courses, or just holes still routed in the same corridors?  If not, I understand, and if so, thanks in advance.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1764 on: January 31, 2011, 10:37:15 AM »
Mike
Your first hole is no where near the kennels.

Jeff
Since we don't know which holes are Campbell's and which holes are Leeds' it is impossible to know for sure if any of his features survived.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:48:24 AM by Tom MacWood »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1765 on: January 31, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »
Tom MacWood/Jeff,

While I agree my hypothetical routing is subject to criticism, and an attempt at stimulating discussion, I certainly wouldn't agree that it's an exercise in futility.

We know the names of the holes, and even David agrees that the first hole and last four holes are roughly as I outlined.

I'm also not sure why you say my first hole is nowhere near the Kennels? (see below)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1766 on: January 31, 2011, 12:28:55 PM »
Mike
Your 1st hole is 250+ yards from the kennel. Your 1st hole is the current 2nd hole, the next hole, the current 3rd, is today called Kennels. That green is near the kennel.

Feel free to speculate all you want, but IMO speculation upon speculation is an exercise in futility.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1767 on: January 31, 2011, 02:38:37 PM »
If first was called Kennel and was existing No. 2 (perhaps with a shorter green near the fw bunkers) and no. 8 was no. 2 and the next holes were called Bullrush and Alps, which put them in the same place as the holes of the same name on the Long Nine, and the fifth was said to turn to the clubhouse, and the sixth had a pond, and if we presume that Weeks is right in his descriptions of the early nine, then

Orig. Nine   Current
1   2

2   8

3   9

4   9t to 11 green

5   12 (approx)

6   Called Pond –
a.  From Ex. 12 Green to Ex. 5 Pond, or
b.  Down to Ex. 4 Tee where there was a pond

a. Reverse of Ex. 4 or
b. Reverse of Ex. 3

a. From Ex 4 Green to Ex 7 Green, or
b. NLE, but between current 2 and 8

9   13 (probably not across road, since first tee was not across road)

If so, they MAY have these existing original greens –

2 - (although I believe it may have originally laid near the fairway cross bunkers and been shorter)
11, (but it would have to have been used at 90 degrees to what it is today
12 Likely
13 (less likely since the original first tee didn’t cross the road according to Weeks, so there would be no reason for 9 green to have done it
7 although that green would depend on the first routing being used from my speculation above.

I would have to go there to know for sure, but there is my fun attempt at the potential routing.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1768 on: January 31, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »
Tom,

Where are you seeing that today's par three 3rd hole is called "Kennels"? 

DMoriarty

« Reply #1769 on: January 31, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »
Call me a masochist, but this is one possibility for the layout of the original nine hole course at Myopia, based on a few assumptions;

1) The names of the holes would indicate that the first hole and final four are pretty well known.

2) The idea that golf was played on Dr. Hopkins land

I've never seen anything reliable which indicated where Dr. Hopkin's land was located.  I have my doubts that Weeks has this correct on this issue, but am willing to consider information confirming his description

3) The name of the second hole being "Miles River", leading me to believe it would have played towards the river, and towards today's 4th green.

The current third hole plays toward the river.  The current 4th hole plays along side it.

6) The statement by John P. May that the original course played at 2,025 yards.

This statement has never been verified in any way, shape, or form.  It contradicts other sources, such as the one you posted on the other thread, but of course you ignored the part.

Can anyone confirm the location of the Hopkins property?  I've measured all sorts of ways, and I have trouble finding a definite 51 acres that the club could have purchased.   And why would they purchase 51 acres for what amounts to between 10 and 20 acres of golfing land, depending upon how one measures?  In contras,t the parcel of land west of the clubhouse where most of the expansion took place seems to be about 50 acres.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:50:24 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1770 on: January 31, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »
David,

Are you saying the Hopkins property depicted on page 43 of Weeks as 51 acres isn't an accurate depiction?

Reading page 42 again, it is a second mention that Hopkins allowed play on the fringe of his estate. I doubt Weeks quoting whoever would get it wrong twice.  At the same time, it sounds like the original course was just barely on Hopkins land, not all the way out to where four and five sit now.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1771 on: January 31, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »
David,

We know who John May's source was...he made it very clear in the book.

Similarly, we know who Edward Week's various sources were...again, he lists them all in his book.

Could you tell us who the sources were for the anonymous gossip colunnists who told us there were two links at Myopia, that the Myopia opening day tournament was held at Essex CC in Manchester, who told us that HC Leeds only started playing in spring 1894, and who told us that Willie Campbell laid out Myopia about ten days before it opened for play? 

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1772 on: January 31, 2011, 10:34:33 PM »
Tom,

Where are you seeing that today's par three 3rd hole is called "Kennels"? 

I have no idea what they call it today, that is what they called that hole in the 1900 Golf Guide and the 1902 US Open.

DMoriarty

« Reply #1773 on: January 31, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
Jeff Brauer,

It could be that the 51 acres were to the northeast of the property, as described by Weeks, but as I said I have my doubts.   Rather than take Weeks word for it like you guys do on everything, I simply asked if anyone has any actual supporting documentation for Weeks claims about the purchase.  By your post it seems you don't, but instead cite Weeks as if Weeks obviously had all his ducks in a row.

David,
Reading page 42 again, it is a second mention that Hopkins allowed play on the fringe of his estate. I doubt Weeks quoting whoever would get it wrong twice.  

What are you talking about?  I am not aware of and Weeks "quote" about the 51 acre purchase.   There is no such quote on page 42, and no such quote on page 32, where Hopkins property was also mentioned.

Why claim he is quoting when he isn't?   It seems you are trying to imply he must have a firm basis for what he wrote when he gives no such indication.  

At the same time, it sounds like the original course was just barely on Hopkins land, not all the way out to where four and five sit now.

It is pretty apparent that Weeks was guessing when it came to the original nine holes, because says as much:  "The actual layout is a matter of speculation . . .."  He is also flat out wrong in his description of the holes.   That article I posted lists the names of the original holes, and they do not jibe with Weeks description.  Weeks has the current 8th as the second hole, but the second hole was called "Miles River" yet the current 8th was no where near miles river or the hole later called Miles River.   Weeks described the 3rd-6th as bullrushes, alps, valley and pond, but these were likely the 6th through 9th holes.   In other words, he leaves out three or four holes, and includes one that may not even have been used!   If he is secretly quoting someone like you claim, then I would question whether that someone knew what they were talking about either.  

In fact, it seems that Weeks is simply reciting the first six holes of the supposed long nine from Bush's account, changing the yardage on the first hole to further reflect Bush's comments!  

But Bush's account of the supposed long nine is also questionable.   As has already been discussed and his own comments indicate, his account was written well after the formation of the course, and when one compares Bush's account to those written closer to the time in question, inconsistencies become apparent.  For example, here is the description of that initial nine according to George Sargent, from the May 1898 edition of The Golfer:

The golf course of the Myopia Hunt Club, on which the open championship of 1898 will be played, is said to be the longest nine-holevcourse in the country. Experts have pronounced the links the best natural golf grounds in America. The playing length of the grounds is 2865 yards. The first tee is on the side of a hill, from which the player drives over a road, a built-up bunker into a wide field, where good lies are almost certain. A brassy shot over a bunker, and a short approach will bring one to the green, which is in a hollow. The distance is 380 yards, and the bogey is four.
  From the second tee the drive is up a slight elevation and alter a brassy shot over the brow of the hill a full iron shot brings one to the green, situated on a knoll. ]oe Lloyd, the open champion, has reached the end of the green on his second shot and made the hole in four, although from the tee to the hole is 425 yards.
  One short hole—100 yards—is found on the course, but it is a clever one, although it has been done several times in two strokes. The tee is built up in the middle of a swamp. making a topped ball cost dearly, and the hole is in a depression beyond the swamp, paying a premium for accurate play.
  "The Alps," as hole number four is called, is one of the best holes of any course in the country, being much like "the Maiden" on the course in Sandwich, England.  The distance is 250 yards and two rolling hills are to be covered.  Some of the longest rivers my carry a ball over both hills and make the hole in two, but a short drive will drop in a hollow between the hills, necessitating an iron play to the green, which is then out of sight beyond the second hill.  
  Number five, "the Valley" hole, is 300 yards, and the drive is down a narrow valley, from a tee on a high elevation. With a cleek shot the player may come to the green, which is a wide one, and by careful play hole out in three, although four is creditable play. The hole must be played with good direction, as there is a high hill on the right and a marsh on the left.
  Among the traditions of the Myopia Hunt Club, one of the most highly-prized relates to the sixth, or "Pond" hole. The tee is at the edge of the pond, over which the player drives. The distance is 250 yards and the green is on a hill beyond the pond. The hole has been done in three, a long drive carrying the ball to the edge of the green, but most players drive over the pond with a cleek, and use an iron to the green. Sometimes, as in the tradition mentioned, the ball goes into the pond, followed by unsmothered curses.  History relates that in the early clays of Myopia golf, one enthusiastic tyro drove three golf balls into the pond and then sent his caddie to the clubhouse for a fresh supply. Opening the box brought by the caddie he drove the whole dozen in succession into the untroubled pond, and then returned to the clubhouse, his feelings relieved and the third commandment unbroken.
  "The Orient," as the seventh hole is called, is 400 yards and has been done in three strokes. A well-placed bunker calls lor a good second shot, and after this is passed the approach to the green is easy.
  Hole eight is the longest in the course.
510 yards, and it takes three full shots to come up to the green. A bunker penalizes a topped ball from the tee, and a high bunker and cop will punish a short second stroke.  Twice this hole has been done in four strokes but most players are satisfied with a five on the card.
  At the ninth hole, which is 250 yards a bunker entraps any badly driven ball.  As the drive is downhill there is a long roll, and several times, aided by the wind, the hole has been done in three, the drive being to the edge of the green.
[/i]

Comparing this description to the Bush description, a number of the distances are off, most notably, Bush described the fifth hole (now the twelfth) as 400 yards, while Sargent claims it was 300 yards.   Others are off by 20 to 40 yards, and a number of prominent features mentioned by Bush aren't by Sargent.

Back to the 51 acres.   Measure it yourself.   Take a look at that map on page 43 and compare it to an aerial (you can still see some of the fence lines, such as a corner near the fourth green and measure it yourself.   Admittedly, it is a bit tough to do given the vague course of the river, but so far as I can tell it is not even close to 51 acres.  

But measure it yourself.  And then measure the property on the other side of the clubhouse where most of the expansion took place, and tell me which one seems to be 51 acres.  

Mike Cirba,

Apparently you (and your sleazy mentor who is obviously chirping in your ear) don't have the foggiest idea of what it means to provide proper sources to support one's claims.  Generally referring to a library and some guy who was a member doesn't cut it. Not even close.  For you to pretend that it does exposes you as either incredibly naive or dishonest.

You do know who George Sargent was, don't you?   Well he lists the course at quite a lot longer than Mays did about 70 years later.

The right thing for you to do is admit that you really don't know how long the course was -- I'll gladly admit this myself.  But surely you will go on grasping to something someone wrote 70 years later because it supports your point.   Bush league.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:48:24 PM by DMoriarty »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1774 on: February 01, 2011, 08:45:48 AM »
David,

With all due respect, would this be the same George Sargent who claimed Willie Campbell laid out nine holes at The Country Club in 1893?

In any case, I'm not sure why you are comparing Sargent's description of the Leeds designed "Long Nine" that was going to host the 1898 US Open versus the original 9 hole course at Myopia that John May tells us was 2050 yards long?     We KNOW it changed from the original, and very significantly as you point out.

It was even longer by the time the tournament was actually held.   As documented, Leeds continued to try to toughen the course through this period, and the yardages for the tournament were as follows:

1 Kennels 380 Yards
2 Prairie 428 Yards
3 Bullrushes 135 Yards
4 The Alps 220 Yards
5 The Valley 400 Yards
6 Pond 300 Yards
7 The Orient 347 Yards
8 High 500 Yards
9 Home 260 Yards

Total 2970 Yards.

Now, where have I seen that number before??   Hmm....wasn't that the number you claimed that the 1899 article said the original course at Myopia was built at?

Hmmm...how did I know that was in error and dismissed it?

You've just proven it.   Thanks.

btw...John May was so happy with his sources he made special mention of them in the 1974 book, as I noted previously.

I'll take inside club sources, records, and documents over gossip columns that have been proven to be hugely erroneous any day of the week(s).  ;)

Tom MacWood,

I'm not sure what you're talking about...as noted above, the 1st hole in 1898 (and of the original course), which is along the corridor of today's second hole was named "Kennels".   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:47:29 AM by MCirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back