News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Re: short survey.
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2003, 08:09:07 PM »
Name, Handicap and Home Club.
Daryl Boe, 7.0, Musgrove Mill GC, Clinton, SC

Describe,

1.  Whats the toughest hole on your home course? why?
Assuming you mean "hardest for me, not by handicap rating" it is #8 a 404 yard par 4.  On the card it is actually the #5 handicap hole, but I find it to be quite intimidating from the tee.  Although the fairway is wide enough to land a 747 on it, there is a lake that must be carried that runs diagonally down the left hand side, and any shot that misses right of the cartpath on that side will end up in the Enoree river that runs down that side.  I call the hole double jeopardy because your brain knows that you simply cannot have a drastic miss either direction.  The second shot is required to carry a waste area left of the green.  There are holes that should be harder on paper, but I have a higher stroke average on #8, it just seems to be a tough hole for me.

2.  Whats the easiest? why?
the 12th is a 157 yd par three (that is the 18th Handicap hole) that plays over a ravine between the tee and the green nestled into the opposite hillside.  I am comfortable with the tee shot, and have good history here to back it up.

Also,

3.  What is your toughest personal scenario off the tee?
i.e  Water down the right, wind off the left etc etc narrow fairway?
I am pretty good with water down either side I can usually play the appropriate draw or fade that guards against either trouble taking one side or the other out of play.  As mentioned above my nemasis is water down both sides that reguires me to hit a dead straight shot.  I tend to want to draw or fade most shots and often hit them straight, but when I am required to hit it straight I will hit one of the two and get myself in trouble often.

and finally,

4.  Whats the toughest shot in golf for you to execute?
If I had to choose one I guess I would say a long iron or fairway wood to a target that has severe trouble left if I hit a little hook.

Looking forward to hearing the results.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

James Edwards

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2003, 06:15:08 AM »
Thank you to everyone.

Its a tall order, but if we can get 100, it will make the results easier to calculate.

if not, no real problems.

regards

james
@EDI__ADI

ForkaB

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2003, 07:59:32 AM »
Rich Goodale, Royal Dornoch, 5.7 (USGA index equivalent 4.7)

1.  Hardest hole.  2nd,  180 to a "volcano" green.  Miss the green and you are toast--virtualluy no chance of a 3 and the real possibility of a big number if you didn't bring your short game with you on the day.

2.  Easiest hole.  1st.  330 with no trouble off the tee unless you duck hook it or sky it right.  Generous green that is relatively flat (for Dornoch).  Very possible to get up and down if you misshit you 2nd.

3.  Nightmare tee scenario is narrow with death to the right.  I generally hit my tee shots pretty straight, but have a disturbing tendency to come off them if under pressure.

4.  Hardest shot.  The hole in one.  (Thank you, Groucho.....)

THuckaby2

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2003, 08:02:56 AM »

Rich Goodale, Royal Dornoch, 5.7 (USGA index equivalent 4.7)

Does your handicap go to decimals over there these days, Rich?  If so, why?  

These are honest questions... I am legitimately curious.  I really thought your handicaps were whole numbers.

TH

ps - any reports on the weekend events?  

ForkaB

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2003, 08:52:58 AM »
Tom

The UK "decimalised" about 15 years ago.  You have an actual handicap (e.g. 5.7) which goes up and down by tenths depending on your score in medals and a "playing" handicap whcih is the rounded up (or down) result.  Slope doesn't count, but as Dornoch is officially sloped at 138, my equivalent USGA index would be 4.7, just like you!

The weekend was superb.  I'll let others comment first, though, out of modesty......

THuckaby2

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2003, 08:59:00 AM »
Thanks, Rich.  So does it always just round to the nearest whole number?  IE, you are now always a 6 at every course, but are a few good rounds away from always being a 5?  Or does it depend on the SSS at each course?

This is sounding so much more and more like than unlike our beloved USGA handicapping system so despised by you, I am getting really confused at what we ever argued about!   ;)

As for the weekend, screw modesty.  I want some highlights and anecdotes.  Send via email or IM if you're that modest.  Gotta live vicariously, you know...  ;D

TH
tom.huckaby@clorox.com

ps - as for being the same as me, the day you ever GET strokes from me is the day I give up the game.  I believe I need 3 a side if we ever do play a match.  ;)

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2003, 09:12:12 AM »
William Cosgrove
Oakbrook Golf & Country Club Tacoma, WA

1) Toughest hole is 400+ par 4 dogleg left.  OB is possible off of tee to the right.  Summer club choice is either 3 wood or 2 iron.  Landing area is an upslope leaving a long iron from an awkard lie to a raised green.

2) Easiest hole is #1.  A slight dogleg left 485 yard par five.  Easily reachable for me in dry months.

3) Toughest tee shot is a narrow left to right shot.  My natural shot is a draw and it takes a pretty good effort to get the ball to move right consistently.

4) Uphill lies are my toughest shot.  Particularly if it requires a long iron.  I am unable to get out of my own way and pull the ball.  Exacerbating my natural tendency to hook the ball.

Gary_Nelson

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2003, 11:54:32 AM »
Gary Nelson, 6.4 index, Meadowbrook CC, Northville, Michigan

1.  Toughest hole?  Why?
#4.  Par 4, 440 yards.  A difficult hole because of the uphill second shot to a shallow green.  The elevation change adds a club or two so I'm typically hitting 4 and 5 irons to the green.

Bailing out right on the approach leaves a severely downhill chip shot.  Coming up short and left leaves the ball in the rough on a severe uphill slope.  

2.  Easiest hole?  Why?
#3.  Par 4, 317 yards.  No fairway bunkers.  OB down the left side.  2-iron from the tee and a wedge to the green.  Usually an easy par.

3.  Toughest scenario from the tee?
Long carry over water/wetlands.  The fear of failure overwhelms my good swing thoughts.  

4.  Toughest shot in golf?
Long (30 yard +/-) bunker shot.  I will hit it fat and leave it in the bunker or I will pick it clean and the ball will fly way over the green.   :-[

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2003, 06:47:31 PM »
John D. Bernhardt 4 Oakbourne CC Lafayette La
5 a strong long par 4. It demands a well struck and placed tee shot. The 2nd shot is to a green that is guarded on the left and rear by a lake and the right by a tough trap. There is a tree 50 yards short on the right side of the fairway. there are also stands of trees in the left and right rough in the landing zones.

4th a short par 3 that is both short and has a wide easy landing area on the green 50% of the time.  the hole is much tougher with a back right pin or center back placement.

A shoot tee shot like 18 at ANGC. You really have to focus and make a good swing.

A long iron (2,3)that has to land softly to hold the green. Thank goodness for the 5 wood which takes that shot out of the game now. lol

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2003, 07:21:37 PM »
Pete Lavallee, Index: 4.5, home course: Balboa Park Golf Club, San Diego Ca.

1.)  Toughest hole:  #16, 555 yard par 5 into the prevailing wind. The hole doglegs left off the tee with a pine tree in the right center of the fairway 260 from the back tee, just before the hole turns abruptly to the left. The entire left side of the hole is a deep canyon that is played as a lateral water hazard. Anything yanked off the tee is lost, but you only pay the stroke penalty, dropping where the ball crossed the canyon edge. The instinctive play is to play a draw to the right center to avoid the canyon, and leave yourself in the gap between the canyon edge and the tree. Push your shot just slighty and you put yourself right behind the tree and have to manufacuer a shot. Any second shot that draws and hits he left half of the fairway kicks off the right to left slope into the canyon, so you often find yourself trying to cut the shot around the tree off a lie with the ball much higher than your feet. A lower level of unmaintained canyon, on the right side from the 300 mark to the green, is there to catch the shot hedged against the lost ball on the left; your ball can be found and played, but with a blind shot off unfriendly terrain. Fairly easy long and narrow green with a bunker front right and two grass bunkers to the left.

2.)  Easiest hole:  #15, 320 yard par 4. The hole is an L-shaped dogleg, 240 yards straight out, then the hole takes a left hand turn for 75 yards to a fairly flat green. The left side is a grove of Red Gum trees, that tempt the golfer to go straight over them to the green, about a 275 yard carry. Even if the attempt fails you'll have a punch shot through the trees, which have no branches on the lower 20 feet, to the green.

3.)  Toughest tee shot:  Any tee shot with the wind howling left to right.

4.)  Toughest shot to execute:  Being a tall player with short arms, any shot where the ball is below my feet gives me the most trouble.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

James Edwards

« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2003, 04:29:44 AM »
49 different posts..  i suppose 1 more then, or 50 more (in my dreams)
@EDI__ADI

Will E

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2003, 07:32:33 AM »
HDCP. 0ish
HM. CLUB Barton Hills, AA MI
Toughest- in relation to par, #11 235 yds. tough green to hit with bunker right and slope from left towards bunker making it a tough green to putt even if you do hit it.
Easiest- in relation to par, #4 360 yds. pretty easy tee shot with a green that feeds the ball to the pin.
Toughest Tee shot- wind from left, trouble right
Toughest to execute- 40-60 yd fairway bunker shot

Brock Peyer

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2003, 03:55:04 PM »
Brock Peyer, 8, I am not currently a member anywhere but of the courses that I play regularly in Atlanta, I play Reunion Golf Club the most.

1.  Hardest hole - 2nd Hole dogleg right, uphill, about 430 from back tees (I don't look at yardage too much), deep rough and sidehill lie on left, deep fairway bunker on right and then a chasm of nothing.  Second shot uphill to a shallow undulating green.

2.  Easiest hole - 11th hole, par 3 downhill around 130 or so to a undulating green, easy par, not the easiest birdie.  

3.  Toughest sceanrio - I hit a straight shot to slight fade with my driver but I would love to be able to hit a high hook from time to time.  I usually will hit a 3 wood on dog leg left holes.

4.  Toughest shot to execute - I am having trouble hitting my 7 iron 200 yds like on TV, actually, 5 footers.

Bryan_Pennington

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2003, 09:02:33 AM »
What were the results (reason) of this exercise?

billb

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2003, 04:19:36 PM »
Bill Brownrigg, index 7.1, not a member anywhere, Riverdale Dunes is the closest I have to a home course.

1.  Whats the toughest hole on your home course? why?
#11, 530 yard par 5. Off the tee: pond right, big mounds with furry grass left. Fairway slopes left to right, any kind of fade usually finds water. A safe 3 wood leaves about 280-300. The pond ends at the 150 yard post, but is replaced by a nasty bunker. The mounds on the left cut deep into the fairway here, making it very narrow. You could launch some kind of wood, but another pond starts up about 100 yards from the green. The best play on the second shot is a 4 or 5 iron, leaving a wedge of some sort. The green is tiered with a huge bunker left and water right. Oh yeah, there are almost no level lies anywhere in the fairway. Thank you Tom Doak!

2.  Whats the easiest? why?
#9, 485 slight downhill par 5. When the Nike Tour played here it was a par 4. There are a couple nasty bunkers left of the fairway and a huge mound next to the green but the hazards are easy enough to avoid. Any decent drive and you can have a go at the green in two.

3.  What is your toughest personal scenario off the tee?
Medium length par 4 with a tight landing area, no room for driver, with a hazard to the left. I have a tendency to snap hook the 3 wood.

4.  Whats the toughest shot in golf for you to execute?
Mid length bunker shot: 40-80 yards, the fluffier the sand the harder the shot.

DMoriarty

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2003, 05:29:34 PM »
David Moriarty, 12 Index, Rustic Canyon.
1. Hole 14, 480 yds par 4.  Forced Carry of 230 to make fairway, Cape Hole left.  Difficult depth perception on approach.  Anything short, moving slightly left will bound into the hazard.  
2.  Hole 3. 319 yds par 4  Driveable par 4, but plenty of desirable bail out.
3.  Trouble left, wind to the left, off an elevated tee box slanted to the left.  (Im left-handed.)
4.  30 yard bunker shot out of soft sand.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2003, 06:27:57 PM »
Name, Handicap and Home Club.
Tommy Naccarato-15.2-Rustic Canyon Club

Toughest-#14 is the toughest, but since David M. has already hi-lighted it, I'll say #16 which is just as tough. Pull the drive, and your SOL. The rest is the luck of the draw in hitting the right balance of up-slope/down-slope/side-hill lies for as very long downhill approach.

Easiest-Right now, if I had to pick one it is either the 8th or the 15th. On the 8th, it all changes with the pin placements. Front left, it becomes a much tougher hole. Back right.....well, the David Kelly will attest to my ten-putt there. No fooling! But the middle and front right pins are less demanding. On the 15th, They seem to really enjoy playing right middle green a lot. It's a less demanding placement then say the entire front or the one placement in the very back. If there was one thing that bothers me th emost about Rustic Canyon, it is the clumsiness of this green in relation to the tee. For the middle and back tee, the green needs to be further right and back. It would open the hole up much better, and it could be a really challenging placement really right, bringing the back bunkers further into play, as well as the sort of steep drop-off right of the green.

Also,

What is your toughest personal scenario off the tee?- The long carry over water with extreme penalty for laying-up. It exposes my weakness of driving length of carry. I hit a low running tee shot with the Greed Stick.

Whats the toughest shot in golf for you to execute?- Same as above.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2003, 06:52:50 PM »
Mike Erdmann, 4.7 index, Creekside Golf Club (Salem, OR)

Toughest hole:  Probably the par 3 17th, which requires a 185 yard carry over wetlands to a firm green.  With my pretty low ball flight, I just can't hold the green all that well, even using a soft, higher spin ball.  Once I've put it beyond the green off the tee, then I'm chipping downhill to the pin, which always gives me fits.

Easiest hole:  Par 5 16th.  Though it's a pretty tight drive off the tee with tall fir trees on both sides of the fairway about 150 yards off the tee, for some reason I stand on that tee box every time with confidence and seem to bang it right up the middle without fail.  It's completely psychological, and I only wish I had that feeling standing on every tee.

Toughest personal scenario off the tee:  Water/OB on the left in the landing area.  When my swing's not on, I get a little quick and the draw turns into a pull or a hook more than I'd like.

Toughest shot to execute:  A 3/4 wedge shot from the fairway.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2003, 07:08:50 PM »
Bill McBride, 14 hdcp, Pensacola CC, Pensacola CC

Toughest hole - #13, 404 yd par 4 recently remodeled by Tom Fazio (go figure).  The fairway narrows the longer the tee ball, and the small green is hard against a bulkheaded pond front left that wraps around the green.  Bunkers short right and pin high right that play downhill toward the pond.  The Q-school guys were laying up from the 430 tee.  Actually, the hole which consistently yields the most double bogies for me is #2, a 155 yd par 3 with a miniscule, saucer-crown shaped green of maybe 2000 sq ft.  No bunkers.  Pond right up to the front.  Sharp fall off all around the green.  That early in the round, it's easy to miss pin high and play chip across the green.  Did I mention the green is one of the fastest on the course.  We just re-rated and #2, which has a 195 tee, had the second highest average score on the front nine.  So now it's #3 handicap. Don't know many other short par 3's that have that low a handicap.

Easiest hole - should be #2.  Actually, it's #1, a fairly easy short par 4 starter, 345 yds with a small green with the most contoured green on the course.  It's easy if you keep the shot below the pin after hitting the fairway off the tee.  

Toughest driving scenario - I used to think it was dogleft cape hole where I have a tendency to come over the top and pull hook into the water.   Aargh.  After a round in strong winds at Cypress Point where I hit two terrible tee shots straight down wind because I couldn't stay still long enough to hit the ball solidly (#10 and #17), I now think the hardest tee ball is that strong wind down wind.  But the cape hole left is the hardest in normal conditions.

Most difficult shot - varies, usually just the routine short iron, but the 80 yard wedge has been particularly vexing of late.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

JAHogan

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2003, 07:43:11 PM »
John Hogan, 12.9 index, Interlachen

1)  Toughest hole

#12 is a 540 yard par 5 that initially curves downhill to the left with a water hazard on the right side.  Green is elevated with heavy bunkers in front and a steep dropoff behind.  Thrilled to not spray my drive right (normally a hooker, but...) take a 6 and move on.

2)  Easiest hole

#5 is a 155 yard downhill par 3.  Heavily bunkered, but pretty straightforward.  Green is reasonably large.

3)  Toughest tee shot scenario

Sharp dogleg right tee shots just don't suit my eye.  I mostly play right to left, so I always feel a little out of synch on a left to right hole.

4)  Toughest shot to execute

Anything off of an upslope.  Seems to exaggerate my right to left tendencies.  Have hit too many terrifying pull hooks off of an upslope.

Water to the left also seems to have a magnetic effect on my game.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2003, 08:12:34 PM »
Tim Weiman
Handicap: 8
Dream Course: Cashen , Ballybunion Golf Club, Ireland

Toughest Hole: #17 (about 500 yards, par 5) plays along and over looking the beach. Both the tee shot and the approach shot are usually played into a fierce left to right cross wind. I’m always afraid to make one of two mistakes: either pull hook smothering my shots towards the beach or coming out of them and hitting a weak high fade which is usually death.

Easiest Hole: #12 (about 200 yards, par 3) This hole is not the original RTJ put high up on sand dune where first time visitors can’t even imagine a golf hole once existed. It is one of two holes on the course that usually plays down wind and there is relatively little trouble around the green.

Toughest Personal Scenario off Tee: Left to right cross wind with trouble both left and right.

Toughest Shot: Bunker shots with downhill lie – truthfully, I’ve never been able to play this shot.
Tim Weiman

Brian Phillips

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2003, 12:18:11 AM »
Brian Phillips
Handicap: 9.8
Borregaard Golfbane, Norway

Toughest hole: #7 Par 4 432 yards
Penal carry over water in front of the tee.  Out of bounds all along the right hand side of the fairway.  Trees tighten up on left hand side of green as well as water hazard parallel and behind green.  Very tough driving hole as well as tight approach with a long iron or wood.  Most people lay up and chip and putt.

Easiest hole: #2 Par 3 130 yards
Large green with two slight tiers.  Two bunkers in front of green only in play if the flag is in the fron and you want to get close but otherwise easy par and a nice start to the round.

Toughest personal scenario off the tee: Out of bounds on the right or left with a wind pushing the shot towards the OB.

Toughest shot: Trying to two putt from 50 feet.  I am an awful putter.

Brian.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back