News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Krume

Archerfield ~ which one
« on: October 20, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »
The Fidra or the Dirleton.....what would your preference be and why. From what I've managed to see of the Fidra, it seems to resemble, maybe ever so slightly Hillside, which is not a bad thing yet the Dirleton from what I can see seems slightly contrived with all the mounding/gorse running alongside the fairways. Is this correct or am I just being stoopid

Marty Bonnar

Re: Archerfield ~ which one
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 05:17:15 PM »
Sam,
Honestly? Neither.
They're both very average at best.
Drive a couple of miles in either direction and have the most fun it's possible to have on a golf course.
Hell, drive next door and see some Doak!
Cheers,
F.

Modify: The Clubhouse facilities and staff are, however, outstanding. The breakfast is great!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:19:37 PM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Greg Gilson

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 05:21:28 PM »
Marty took the words right out of my mouth.

There is nothing wrong with the Archerfield courses and the estate itself is lovely. However with HCEG (access dependent), Renaissance, Gullane & ...especially, NB walking distance, I would play 20 rounds at the others before I made the effort to choose one of the Archerfield courses.

BTW, if forced to choose, take Fidra.

Sam Krume

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 05:27:14 PM »
playing Renaissance on Saturday, friends a member at Archerfield(haven't seen them in ages so hence the reason playing) and then I think Dunbar. Was thinking about NB but the pound is plummeting, don't you know..

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 06:48:34 PM »
playing Renaissance on Saturday, friends a member at Archerfield(haven't seen them in ages so hence the reason playing) and then I think Dunbar. Was thinking about NB but the pound is plummeting, don't you know..

Sam,
There's plenty of East Scotland GCAers who can sort you out with access to way better options than Archerfield. I can offer Leven if you can make it over the Forth!

Cheers,
F.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 07:10:44 PM »
I'd actually disagree with Greg. There's LOTS wrong with the courses at Archerfield.
Firstly, the place has called itself Archerfield LINKS. Neither of the golf courses is a Links in any way, shape or form. If anything, the courses suffer from a distinct lack of identity. They swan around the landscape, Ill-defined and poorly detailed. Holes follow holes with little identity and few interesting great features. There's some incredibly jarring landscape elements which, to me, only reinforce a total misunderstanding of landscape design on the part of the designers.
I've resisted posting photos, or indeed an opinion, in the past, because, despite my criticisms of the golf courses, I actually like the place. It's a joy to visit. Maybe an opportunity missed.

F.

Oh, PS: Defo try the mini Scotch Pies at the turn. They're sensational!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:19:32 PM by Marty Bonnar »

Greg Gilson

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 07:19:49 PM »
Not that I would advise against playing Dunbar....it's a neat place, a fun course & friendly team. However, for the GBP20 +/- extra Green Fee I would be pegging it up at NB every time.

Sam, I know that was not your original question...so, again, if you ask an opinion of Fidra or Dirleton...I would play Fidra.

Sam Krume

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »
Greg...I couldn't agree more but the thing is, Dunbar is going to do the round at their winter rate where as when my friend called NB they stuck to their guns and asked for £105 even though the following day it drops to £75(winter rate). Totally understand them sticking to visitor green fee rates because THEY ARE NB.

Marty...really appreciate the feedback reg courses at Archerfield. I will speak to the guys about this and many thanks for your offer reg Leven. Archerfield was a choice for 2 reasons. 1) My pal is a member 2) I always believed it was somewhat difficult to get on a decent course on a Sunday, as is the case down here in London
Also on a previous post, got slightly burned when asking about where to play. A number of people assumed that I was looking for an introduction, yet this was never the case. So no more asks where to play..

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 07:42:43 PM »
PM me!

Steve Salmen

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »
I've played both courses and do not remember any holes.

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 05:56:38 AM »
Sam

I've only played the Fidra and didn't find it nearly as offensive as Marty. The front nine through the trees was easily the better half and I actually thought a lot of it but the back nine does as Marty suggests have a severe landscaping/shaping issues. Turf wise, I don't recall much but certainly don't recall it being bad in any way.

Niall

Sam Krume

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 06:25:47 AM »
many thanks for all your responses. it seems that I should possibly give Archerfield a miss!!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 06:35:57 AM »
No comment.

F.

PS Clicking on this pic will take you to the album.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 08:16:54 AM »
Marty

Looks like a right pair of tits!

It looks amateurish from a shaping and design point of view  ;D

Cheers
B

No comment.

F.

PS Clicking on this pic will take you to the album.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 08:31:14 AM »
I have never played Archerfield but agree there are many wonderful options in the immediate area.  Having said that, to the extent's Sam's FRIEND HAS INVITED HIM TO PLAY HIS HOME COURSE, I would hope Sam would do the right thing and enjoy that round while also experiencing the other pleasures nearby!

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 09:31:07 AM »
Personally I think Archerfield is definitely worth a play if you haven't played it before and even if you had. Sure, it might not be the best in the area but far from hideous, and as Keith says, you are playing as a guest.

Marty/Ben

What exactly offends you in that photo ? Is it the mounding relative to the surrounding flatness of the general terrain, or is it the shape of the bunker relative to the mounding, or combo ? If this feature was on Huntercombe would it be any more palatable to you ?

Niall

Michael Graham

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 12:48:24 PM »
I'm not going to get into the wider merits of Archerfield vs the rest of East Lothian.

To answer Sam's question. If you are only playing one course at Archerfield then you would be better playing the Fidra. Yeah it's no comparison compared to NB or Gullane but the front nine has some pretty cool holes. Things get less interesting from the 12th when you leave the trees but it's definitely worth a play. Even more so if you have been fortunate to be invited by a member.

David Jones

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 03:07:07 AM »
Hi Sam,

I am a member at Archerfield. While it may not wow you architecturally I am fairy confident you will have a very pleasant day's golf.  Both courses are fair and there are enough holes to keep you interested on the way round.  It's not Muirfield or the Renaissance but to be honest I've not got the game to play those every week. They've done some nice shaping to the bunkers over the last year with the advent of a new green keeper and there's plenty to like there.

To answer your question (!) I would say, on balance, the Fidra.  It is more open from the tee (despite the trees) and has a great variety between the trees and (yes manmade) dunes.  However, they have been struggling with the greens a little this year and Dirleton will be in better condition. Dirleton is by no means a waste of time playing with a friend of a Sunday morning so don't worry too much if you end up playing there!

You will get a warmer welcome here than pretty much anywhere in the area bar North Berwick and I'm pretty sure you'll leave with a smile on your face. Somehow I manage to endure playing here pretty much every Sunday so may see you there.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 03:50:47 AM »
Niall,

The sand and the mounding are not in harmony it looks rather artificial and an afterthought possibly to save budget or rush through the construction

Here are some examples what could have been done

Option 1 - mounding to relate to bunker outline

Option 2 - splashed up bunker a bit like natural dune like bunker - the grass could grow on the top lips

Option 3

Grassy hollow with no sand - its quite an effective hazard and less control on the ball spin

Option 4

A pair of bunkers to reflect the original mounding shaping but slightly modified

Personally I think Archerfield is definitely worth a play if you haven't played it before and even if you had. Sure, it might not be the best in the area but far from hideous, and as Keith says, you are playing as a guest.

Marty/Ben

What exactly offends you in that photo ? Is it the mounding relative to the surrounding flatness of the general terrain, or is it the shape of the bunker relative to the mounding, or combo ? If this feature was on Huntercombe would it be any more palatable to you ?

Niall

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 05:06:16 AM »
Nice work Ben.

Maybe it was just the golf cart Marty found offensive!
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 06:51:54 AM »
Ben

Thanks for that. All three look fairly standard options (with perhaps the exception of the grass bunker), if you don't mind me using that phrase. Option 1 looks like a bunker Hawtree put in on the right side of the 14th at Gailes which has similar terrain. For me, its the roundness and flatness of the existing bunker that irritates, not so much the bank which in no way attempts to blend in.

David

Good for you for sticking up for Archerfield. Until I read your post and Michaels post I thought I'd been hallucinating about my game there.

Niall

Sam Krume

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
good to hear all the responses...for and against. From all the responses regarding which to play, it seems the general consensus is that the Fidra comes out as the pick of the two but that all seems irrelevant know as since my original posting my pal has since bailed(family shite to do), but he will be joining us at Renaissance. Is it know worth looking else where or do we still try the Archerfield experience as we can still get on.

David Jones

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 02:15:48 PM »

If you aren't playing North Berwick then you really should try and get a game - here's a link to some of my thoughts - http://www.ukgolfguy.com/north-berwick .  It is a wonderful place to play golf and you shouldn't miss the opportunity seeing as you are so close.  If you can't get on there then it depends what else you have on your itinerary really.  Gullane 1 is the next best (after Muirfield obviously) in the locality.  A lovely traditional links course. Personally, I've not gelled yet with the Renaissance - it is a brute - so you may need some respite after that!

I would play Gullane and North Berwick before Archerfield but if you have them sorted then give Fidra a bash.  I have a friend I play with who is 73 and every Sunday we play at Archerfield.  He is also a member at Luffness and Dunbar and plays three rounds a week equally split between the 3.

I heard a quote the other day which made me think a little - 'Great is the enemy of good'.  A curse in this game.......

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back