News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Maryland

Re: David Duval, Dead Last
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2009, 07:19:11 PM »
Baker-Finch may well have lost the ability to play well on tour, but as recently as last year he was saying he was playing off +6 at his club in Florida. So he can still play.

I once watched him hit a slice off the 1st at Terrey Hills in Sydney that cleared the carpark and came to rest on the 13th fairway. He went and found it, bombed it back over the driveway, hit an iron on and calmly two putted for par ;D

Baker-Finch is on GHIN.  His current handicap is +4.6 which just shows how good the touring pros are and how crap we are.  I'd take Duval giving a shot a hole against just about anybody on this site on a US Open set-up course (stroke play only, I'm not that stupid....)

Just one more person John Smoltz has to beat!

17 green certainly wasn't boring today!  Kenny Perry and Andrew McLardy (in the same group) both had lengthy putts from down below on the right, KP left it 15 feet short, AM hit it 10 feet past.  Phil and DD both missed the tee-shot in the same place, hit good pitch shots, and missed putts of about 3-feet from opposite sides of the hole.  Phil was right on the verge of taking 8 putts aggregate on 15/16/17, as it is he took 7. 

The strategy on 18 did need to be something into the 100+yd range where the player could hit a shot to the middle of the green and aggressively spin it back to the hole...the 40-50-60 yarder's were just too delicate given the situation.  Most players hit driver -- JB Holmes hit a big pull but from what I could tell he was about pin-high, sure looked like that drive would have been in the greenside bunker had it been on that line.

Kudos to David Duval, this just may be the spark that gets the fire lit.  I was squarely in the camp that he was d-o-n-e, thinking I was wrong...good for him.

Doug Wright

« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »
PS DD was the only guy I saw in the last groups (other than Glover who made the right play under the circumstances) to make the proper play on 18. He hit 3 wood, which challenged the bunkers and appeared to have left him 100 yards or so out. Unfortunately, he hit it just in the first cut off the tee, and that limited his ability to spin the ball.

His violent lip out on 17 was cruel and also cut back big time on the finishing drama.

Great comeback for the guy who now calls Cherry Hills CC home.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

John Moore II

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2009, 08:01:57 PM »
Baker-Finch may well have lost the ability to play well on tour, but as recently as last year he was saying he was playing off +6 at his club in Florida. So he can still play.

I once watched him hit a slice off the 1st at Terrey Hills in Sydney that cleared the carpark and came to rest on the 13th fairway. He went and found it, bombed it back over the driveway, hit an iron on and calmly two putted for par ;D

Baker-Finch is on GHIN.  His current handicap is +4.6 which just shows how good the touring pros are and how crap we are.  I'd take Duval giving a shot a hole against just about anybody on this site on a US Open set-up course (stroke play only, I'm not that stupid....)

Whoa, I didn't see this one before. Lets go. Get Double D out to the course, we can play #2, Oakmont, anywhere available. I'll take 18 shots and play him. I'll shoot no higher than 85, can he shoot no higher than 67? That would be good fun.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back