News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

A hidden gem of a Redan
« on: June 05, 2009, 06:51:24 PM »
this is the 180 yard 3rd hole at Silver Spring in Ridgefield, CT

Patrick_Mucci

Re: A hidden gem of a Redan
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 06:58:06 PM »
RMD,

I loved the golf course, except for how they wrecked some of the holes when they violently injected the Tennis Facilities.

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 07:18:47 PM »
This is my first post. I was a PGA professional but have not been in the business for over 10 years.  Silver Spring was actually my first assistants job.  What a great little golf course this is.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 07:19:51 PM »
Robert, do you think there's enough front to back and right to left tilt to qualify this as a true "Redan?"

David Druzisky

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:38:23 PM »
Is there a bunker beyond right?

Does the surface sweep up that high on the right at all?

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:10:58 PM »
I should have shot more pictures of the hole that day.  I have several negatives from different angles, but it will be a while until  they can be converted to digital.   The far left part of the green is actually a good foot or two below the top of the bunker.  There is good right to left movement on the green.  Though Peter is a grass growing genius, he does not maintain the course like NGLA, and was very happy with the Rulwich work on #7 because of the drainage and agronomical quality.  Because of maintenance practices, the kicker does not work like it should; however, this should not take away from the quality of the hole's architecture.

George_Bahto

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »
From the information I have about Silver Springs, Charles Banks was hired to design and build the course. He died before the work began and it was completed by Robert White (1931-1933 ..... Banks died in 1931), a good friend of Macdonald and Raynor, and he built the course “somewhat” to Banks’ plans.

I have a lot of info on the course and will ck it when I get a chance.

About the “tilt” of the green: Unlike Raynor and Macdonald Charles Banks seldom tilted his Redan severely front to back. He even raised his tees much more than his mentors, reasoning he wanted the player to see more of what he faced.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 03:09:08 PM »
George Bahto,

I really like his Redan at The Knoll, especially with the spine in the green, it's quite unique.

I also like his Redans at Montclair, Hackensack and his reverse Redan at Forsgate.

Is the quarry hole at Rock Spring a Redan ?

George_Bahto

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »
Pat - the Quarry hole at Rock Spring (#3) is a very unique Redan by Banks - 187 or so (originally) played over a corner of a deep pit to a typical (Banks) Redan  green - great site for a a par-3 green

here again, Patrick, that green is not tilted a lot (if I remember correctly)

Banks' Redan at Montclair does tilt a lot more than most Redans he built
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Paul Jones

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 06:21:24 PM »
I really like the Redan at CC of Charleston - hole 11
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back