News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Barry Stern

Golf in Northampton, MA
« on: August 30, 2015, 11:19:19 PM »
Turning to you all as a treasure trove of info on where to play.  I have about 3 1/2 hours as-soon-after-sun-rise-as-possible this coming Sunday morning; any recommendations?  Thanks in advance.

Dan_Callahan

Re: Golf in Northampton, MA
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:37:41 AM »
If you don't mind a 40ish minute drive, one of the best public courses in Mass is The Ranch (in Southwick).

There are two very good Donald Ross courses out there, both private.

The Orchards is the home course of Mt. Holyoke College. They hosted a Women's Open about a decade ago.

Longmeadow CC hosted the US Am about 15 years ago and is hugely underrated.

Last, The Ledges has a few decent holes. Not great, but you could do worse.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 09:56:58 AM »
Go to Crumpin-Fox, it's about 30 minutes north, just 2 minutes off Interstate 91, in the town of Bernardston, on the VT border.
The Ranch is good, but I would split 10 rounds 7-3 in favor of CF, which also is closer to Northampton.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:19:38 AM »
That's interesting you would take Crump over the Ranch. I'd be more like 8-2 in favor of the Ranch. Last time I played Crump, the conditions were awful. And it has maybe the worst first hole-last hole combo of any highly regarded course I've played. 

For what it's worth, I'd take the Orchards and Longmeadow over both of them every time.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 05:04:31 PM »
Bring an extra pair of socks.  ;) 

The 9 hole Amherst GC (Walter Hatch/r.Geoffrey Cornish) is close, fun, inexpensive, and an easy walk.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:10:42 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Eric Hammerbacher

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:34:23 PM »
I used to live in Easthampton, and I'd go with The Orchards also.   That way you could stop after the round for pizza at Village Pizza in Easthampton. 

When I go back up though, the first course I'm playing is Northfield Golf Club at the Northfield/Mt. Hermon School.  It's an easy 9-hole layout designed by Alex Findlay in 1901 and the current course dates from 1912.  I used to play so many rounds there, and it's short, shaggy, cheap, walkable and fun...just the way I like my golf in New England.
"All it takes, in truth, for a golfer to attain his happiness is a fence rail to throw his coat on, and a target somewhere over the rise." -John Updike 1994

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 12:24:13 AM »
Longmeadow I would imagine will be hard to get on but you should be able to get on the orchards!

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »
I'll second Amherst CC a very quirky 9 homer from the late 1800. It has really shaggy fairways which help keep it from being overpowered by the modern clubs and balls.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Barry Stern

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 10:01:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for these helpful replies.  Working on the Orchard, but may ending up with the Ranch as an alternative.  I'll let you know how it turns out, so thanks again.

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 07:44:25 AM »
I think Crumpin Fox is the best choice on the public side with Westover Golf Course in Ludlow as a Plan B. Westover was originally an Air Force course designed by Orrin Smith and now owned by the Town of Ludlow. Cheap with some very good holes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back