News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Pearson

Third round in Maui...Where to play?
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:20:29 PM »
I'm getting married in Maui in October, and golf is my consolation prize.

My first two rounds will be at Kapalua Plantation and Wailea Gold; where should I play my third? Based on my research, I'm leaning toward Kahili GC because:
  • I'd like to keep it local with a Robin Nelson track; and
  • Kahili seems far less contrived than its pricey neighbor, King Kamehameha; and
  • Wailea Emerald is an option, but I'd prefer to get out and play somewhere else on the island; and
  • The Dunes at Maui Lani is appealing, but reviews suggest the conditioning is routinely suspect; and
  • I've read nothing overly positive about the two Kaanapali courses and Kapalua Bay; and
  • Makena is now private, so unless someone on here has a connection, that option is likely out.
I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

Steve Green

Re: Third round in Maui...Where to play?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:27:55 PM »
Hop on the boat and go play the two courses on Lanai. 
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Chris Pearson

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:37:09 AM »
Given the time constraints (and the woman), that's not going to be an option for this trip. I wish it were; I'd love to go to Lanai.

Frank Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 09:41:31 AM »
I really enjoyed Makena.  It's quirky, but has some great holes and magnificent views.

Ahh..disregard my Makena rec.  When did it go private? 

Chris Pearson

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:44:33 AM »
I think Makena was shut down in 2011, purchased by private interests in 2012, and has been under renovations ever since. From what I understand, 18 holes are open right now, and I think another 9 are being renovated.

The course looks fairly stunning. I wouldn't be surprised if, when finished, it will be the second-best course on the island.

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »
Another great option is to play twilight at Kapalua Plantation.  I did that a couple of times with my son when we were staying at the resort.  You will not finish but you will get in at least nine holes and enjoy an incredible view in beautiful evening light.  Your wife can meet you for dinner as the sun sets if she does not play golf, thereby minimizing the time she is on her own.  I think the rate was $75 when I was there a few years ago with kids playing for free.  You can use the money you save to buy your bride a massage and she will be gleefully occupied while you play.
Skip Kaanapli.  The course is mediocre and very expensive.  I would rather play nine at Kapalua Plantation for $200 less. 

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 10:47:59 AM »
Chris -
We were just there in March and went over to play King Kamehameha which was a really pleasant surprise.  I've never really found much of interest on Maui aside from Plantation and this was a lot of fun.  It is private but you can get on as a reciprocal or via their "Guest for a day" program.  http://www.kamehamehagolf.com/guest-for-day.php.  Golf course was in good shape and it was pretty quiet out there.  You won't be disappointed. 
Congrats and have a great trip!
Brad

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 12:12:24 PM »

Agree wholeheartedly. Is the "Challenge" (mountain) course back open again?

Chris DeToro

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »
Congrats--I was there in January and it did not appear that Makena was open then.  Kapalua is great though.  I hadn't heard much about the other courses on Maui, so I spent less time playing there than on Kauai.  The Wailea courses looked alright though

Ben Sims

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 01:00:14 PM »
Play Kapalua Plantation once for the views, shots, and nostalgia. After that, drop the clubs.

Hike to the Iao Needle, snorkel a bunch, jump off the rocks by the cliff house at kapalua, surf, rent a paddle board and try your hand at that. Drive counterclockwise around the northwest side to Kahakuloa and get some of Julia's banana bread. Get macadamia pancakes at The Gazebo. Stop by the Fish Market Maui in Honokowai around 2-3pm and get the freshest fish they have (likely just an hour or so off the boat) and go next door to Maui Brewing Co and grab a growler of Coconut Porter. Go to a beachside outdoor grill and watch the sun go down with great local beer and fresh ono sizzling as your lovelier half beams. She'll appreciate you more and you'll earn credits with her to spend on way better golf courses once you're back on the mainland.

Michael Essig

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 02:35:40 PM »
FWIW, there is always "da game;" the daily skins game played on Maui.  It used to be played only on the Kapalua courses, but I think it now moves around.  Search this website (I tried and failed to find the link) that discusses the daily game further - max handicap, etc.  I haven't played in the game in a decade, but I will be this September when I am staying near Lahaina.  Great way to play with excellent golfers; I wait to play on the day when they are at the Plantation course.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »
Chris -
We were just there in March and went over to play King Kamehameha which was a really pleasant surprise.  I've never really found much of interest on Maui aside from Plantation and this was a lot of fun.  It is private but you can get on as a reciprocal or via their "Guest for a day" program.  http://www.kamehamehagolf.com/guest-for-day.php.  Golf course was in good shape and it was pretty quiet out there.  You won't be disappointed. 
Brad

+1 --I really enjoyed my round there
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Chris Pearson

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »
Interesting votes for Kamehameha; it looks more open than Kahili, and this suits my typically-errant game.

And a massive thank-you goes out to Ben Sims, whose suggestions have already added to our itinerary. I'm looking forward to Fish Market Maui and that Coconut Porter; we're staying about 1/4 mile away during our first few days on the island.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 11:06:44 PM »
Chris,

My family has a place in Honokowai, right in between Kaanapali and Napili, which is just before you get to Kapalua. Look, the first thing you need to understand is driving on Maui is like driving in Ireland (or scootering in Bermuda). It may only be two inches on the map and short in terms of mileage, but a good rule of thumb is to double your travel time.

My public email is gibpap@aol.com . . . . . .  the first thing we have to establish is which side of the island you are staying on - or are you moving around? West end near Lahaina?? Wailea? Kihea? Planning on going all the way to Hana?

Want a little granola and ganja in Paia? How about the full muni experience (worth it) at Waiehu just up from the airport? 

You want great food in a romantic setting or a high priced, low vibratory clip joint for idiot tourists?

Just shoot me an email - but whatever Ben Sims tells you, take it to the bank.

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:38 AM »

Agree wholeheartedly. Is the "Challenge" (mountain) course back open again?

The former "Experience at Koele" Mountain course is supposed to open in winter or spring. I played there on the day before it closed, there was some serious tree removal in progress on the back/upper 9. It will be renamed the Koele Golf Course after the Nicklaus team renovation is done.

A third vote here for the King; there's decent pricing through Maui Golf shop. Great shape, fun course, very uncrowded weekdays.  I've played there my past 3 visits and will go back.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:29:27 AM by Mark Provenzano »

Ben Sims

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 07:58:14 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for the gratitude. I don't know if I deserve Gib's endorsement, but I'm glad I got it. Our home base in Maui is Napili. I judge vacation success by how many times I'm required to wear footwear. If I'm really on my game, then I'll have to forego bare feet less than five times in 8 days. So consider me an outlier.

But I'm dead serious about the golf. Skip it. The ocean beckons. There's not a single golf hole on the island that trumps seeing honu in her natural environment or catching your first wave.

Congratulations on your nuptials.

mike_beene

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 12:07:02 AM »
I would base it on where I was staying.It is a long way from Walea to Plantation.You are playing my two favorites and I would replay one of them or play Emerald. The Bay has two pretty holes and then is a disappointment

John Crowley

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 10:13:05 AM »
Chris -
Brad

+1 --I really enjoyed my round there

+2   I have played the "King" a couple of times over the years. Very good course and usually very good condition. Plantation also has be a top consideration.
John

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 03:29:39 PM »
The Kimg course is a real sleeper. It is stunning with its bicoastal and mountain views. It is windy but the course sets up to be played along the ground. kahili is ok but spend the extra dollars and play the King.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Chris Pearson

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 07:03:03 PM »
Loving these responses—a big thanks to everyone!

And Gib, I'll be sending you an email soon :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back