News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Devon_Craig

Belmullet Golf Club, gobsmacked
« on: May 13, 2003, 04:37:39 PM »
Hello

I'm a weary travler from Iowa (play mostly Harvester GC) visiting cousins in Ireland. I was hoping to play Ballybunion, Portmarnock, Lahinch, and Old Head, but things didn't work out. Rather, they worked out much better than my original plan. My cousin insisted I visit Enniscrone, Rosses Point, Belmullet (Cairn), and Connemara, however. What an unbelieveable golfing experience.

The only downside was that I nearly broke my back lugging my wet gear around with me in the bag. Waste of time; it only rained once! Very lucky, looking out at the weather today. Hailstones, although I'm informed this is not typical.

I have never ever experienced anything like Cairn (have I spelled this right?) in Belmullet. It's unlike any other golf course I 've played. The architect seems to have resisted the obvious temptation to route the course allong the vallies between dunes, instead choosing a less obvious routing. While playing the course, you can see the holes that could have been built, but what presents itself is something much more special.

The fairways are much wider than the other links courses that I've played. There is no wild rough by the side of the fairways. In no wind, it was tricky, but not overly difficult. When the wind blew the second day I played, it was an exhillerating test. The penalties for missing the fairways, however, can be severe. I can't commend the designer highly enough. How he managed to introduce such subtilty in a course with such heaving dunes is beyond me.

Enniscrone and Rosses point are also brilliant, althoug not in the same category as Cairn (maybe Enniscrone). Breathtaking scenery, brilliant golf. Connemara has one brilliant nine, and one average one. There is a third nine I didn't play.

Can't wait untill I get to play there again (cousin is a member of Cairn, so it looks likely) He also pointed me in the direction of this site, whish I hope to look in on from time to time.

Until later

Devon from Dubuque.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mike_Sweeney

Re: Belmullet Golf Club, gobsmacked
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 04:52:05 PM »
Devon,

It is Carne, and I too share your enthusiasm for Carne. I arrived last summer and the wind was howling. The girl in the proshop looked at me like I was crazy when I said I traveled all the way from New York to play, and a little wind was not going to keep me off. I hit irons all day to keep the ball low. I can't even imagine what I shot, and had the time of my life. I really have not played enough overseas to rank/rate it, but I can simply say it is well worth the very long trip to get there. Yes, the greens need some work, but that is overshadowed by the routing through the dunes.

PS it is an Eddie Hackett course who also did Enniscrone, however Enniscrone has some new holes by Donald Steele.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 09:45:24 PM »
Devon-
I have not played Carne (Belmullet), but I have played Rosses Point and Enniscrone. You are visiting a very special part of this world! Glad you are enjoying it.
If you work your way further north, past Donegal, there is a very nice course called Naran & Portnoo, that is worth playing.  
When you get back to the US, you might want to take a look at the current issue of T&L Golf magazine (Annika S. is on the cover). It has a nice article about the golf courses in NW Ireland.
DT

Devon_Craig

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 02:28:11 AM »
Thanks Mike/David

I had heard of Eddie Hackett, but just forgot the name. A member told me that 14 of the holes in Carne were just "found" by Hackett but he had to move heaven and earth for the other 4. I would not be able to tell which, which is a good endorsement of the designer, don't you think?

The greens were fine when I was there, condition-wise. It's very hard to hole a put on them because the undulation are quite subtile. My only criticism is that I prefer large undulations on the greens for fun; this also gives me an excuse for missing puts.

The blind shots there are a thrill, in particular the second time around. You can almost always see the landing area; if you hit the landing area you have an open vista to the green.

The back nine is amazing. Every hole. The 17th and 18th in particular. 18 is sink or swim.

I'm in Dublin now before I hit the skies for home, but I will look into Nairn nad Portnoo next time I am over.

Devon

Jack_Marr

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 04:15:58 PM »
Well done Dev, a leanabh mo chroi. Spread the word.

As you know, I don't need convincing. I'm like Victor Kiam - I was so impressed,  I bought the course, or became a member at least.

go n'eirigh an eitlean, leat, le cabhraig Dea.
John Marr(inan)

Norbert P

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 07:23:14 AM »
I love to hear people love that place.  It is deep in my heart as a favorite.  Any news on the third nine dream?  

Jack, How's the whiskEy documentary going?  
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

billb

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 08:01:41 AM »
There is an excellent book called "Links of Heaven" which has lots of material about Eddie Hackett and the many fine courses he has designed in Ireland. He sounds like a fascinating man! The book also contains a detailed account of how Connemara got built.
The web site http://www.irishgolf.com/ has some excerpts from the book.
On my Ireland trip in 2000, we played Enniscrone, Donegal (Murvagh), Rosses Point, and Nairn and Portnoo.
Alas, we did not make it to Carne.
We could see some new holes being built in the dunes at Enniscrone, they looked excellent. I assume they are open ?
Donegal and Rosses Point were just okay....wide open, pull out your driver and blast away type courses. Fine courses, I just prefer the in the dunes, lots of undulations, a few funky holes, type of links golf.
N&P was pretty cool....some marginal holes, but some of the afore mentioned funky links golf.
Ballyliffin is pretty close to this area and well worth a visit!
Bill

tmb

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 11:17:09 AM »
Played Carne, Connemara and Enniscrone last September in absolute benign conditions. I have to fully agree with all your comments. I'm still dreaming about the 17th at Carne. A great uphill par 4 that looks left to right but plays better right to left.
The 16th at Enniscrone is an absolute test of a par 5. Connemara finishes with two par fives that play completely. different. Can't wait to return. These courses are an absolutely underplayed. Thank goodness they're not close to Shannon.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2003, 11:21:39 AM »
Slag

They are starting the third nine this summer. They've raised the money and everything, and I didn't have to pay a levy. I don't know who's designing it, but there is certainly enough excellent dunesland for an outstanding nine.

The whiskey documentary will not be going ahead for the time-being. Peter Mulryan wrote a script for a documentary - but his employers (RTÉ) will not go ahead with it. It was subsequently turned into a book called the Whiskies of Ireland, which I would highly recommend.

The only chance I have is if an independent film-maker will take it on. It will be made one day, whether I'm involved or not, hopefully.

In the meantime, get youself a bottle of Redbreast Pure Potstill, if you can get your hands on it. It will make you want to make a documentary yourself.

Bill

Enniscrone has dramatically improved since the introduction of the new holes. I recommend you get back and play it.

Also, if you like the dunes, you'll love Carne.

Jack

John Marr(inan)

Norbert P

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 07:46:35 AM »
Thanks Jack,  I found Redbreast on the web, only the shipping was more than the whiskey. I think it's cheaper to just fly to Ireland and buy a case.  I think you earlier suggested Greenspot, as well.  Next time I'm there I'll douse my tonsils in it.  

Is the third nine going to be part of the existing 18?  What I mean is, will it be situated so one can play 18 by playing either 9 of original and 9 of new?   It's good to hear that they are expanding.  When I was there, I had a fearful feeling that it wasn't making any money to sustain itself.  (Doctor says I have the 'worry gene' and that I shouldn't worry about it.)

Slainte'

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jack_Marr

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 09:34:10 AM »
I am not sure, but I think that due to the area of land they own, it will probably be a loop to the clubhouse. This means you could play it with either of the other nines. This is just my guess.

I know there is mixed feelings about golf courses with alternate nines...

Redbreast is like a mature Greenspot. Both come highly recommended.

go n'eirigh an bothair leat.
John Marr(inan)

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 05:34:59 PM »
Jack,

When you find out the architect, please let us know.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back