News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kirk Gill

Change of Plan - No Longer Quarry Oaks, Nebraska
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:21:55 PM »
CHANGE OF PLAN

The thread below was based on information I'd received that a family golf tourney would be held at Quarry Oaks Golf Club. Either I was misinformed, or they changed the venue, but word has it that now we are playing at a place called Iron Horse. I really appreciate everyone who commented on Quarry Oaks.........but..........any opinions on Iron Horse? Who was the architect? I can't find any mention on their website..........

My wife's family reunion is this summer at Mahoney State Park in Ashland, Nebraska. While there, the family golf tournament is going to be held at Quarry Oaks Golf Club. In taking a look at the course online it appears to be highly-regarded and nice to look at. I'd be interested in the opinions of those who have played it regarding architectural merit, playability, etc. I'm concerned that it might be too difficult as a venue for a bunch of people who rarely actually PLAY golf. The architect is unfamiliar to me, a fellow named John Lafoy. I'd be interested in more information regarding him and his work as well. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:56:38 PM by Kirk Gill »
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

RJ_Daley

Re: Quarry Oaks, Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 02:18:15 PM »
I've played it twice.  It is a severe walk, nearly impossible to walk due to many hole corridors up and down steep hills, and long walks green to next tee.  It has some nice golf holes, but also plenty of places to loose a ball for those players that are unskilled or infrequent golfers.  The views are nice over the Platte River. 

Frankly, I'd look for an easier and more simple course for that type of outting.  I'd also say it might be a bit high priced for a typical family reunion crowd (at least my poor kin)  ::) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 02:25:35 PM »
I'm with you on that, RJ. My boys would like to play, but at the price they're asking it's going to be just me.

I'd ask what other courses in the area would be better for such an outing, but I believe that the event has already been booked.

Found a thread that included a few pictures of QO, and it does look like a few balls could get lost there. Not so worried about the walk, as I know that the price I was quoted included cart. Natch.
                             -Don Barzini

Jeff Zeagler

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 02:32:12 PM »
I have played the course once and had a great time.  I agree that it is not walker-friendly at all.  I don't seem to recall a lot of forced carries or a ton of sand but it was challenging golf course.  I thought it was quite beautiful with tons of wildlife (deer, turkeys).  In fact, it was not at all what I expected from a Nebraska course.  I almost felt like I was at Barton Creek outside Austin, TX.  Our foursome ranged from 10 hcp - 18 hcps and all had a great time.  Of course, playing from the correct tees is critical regarding playability.

Hope this helps.

Jason Hines

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 02:58:11 PM »
Kirk,

If something changes in your booking, you might be able to play in the afternoon at Ashland Country Club, over time I believe it has gone from private to semi private and is an easy walk.  Courses of comparable caliber around Mahoney if you are looking at another round would be Woodland Hills in Eagle, designed by Jeff Brauer and Ironhorse in Ashland.

I have not played Quarry for a few years, but there are some interesting holes, scenic, etc.  Do take extra balls for the higher handicaps unless they are immune to poison oak.

Shane Wright

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 04:41:12 PM »
I think I am going to disagree with most on this one...I think you should play it Kirk.  Everyone is right, it is a super-difficult walk.  But if you are playing with folks who don't play much, then they are probably expecting to ride anyways. 

The course is difficult, if you are playing the tips, so play the appropriate tees.  But that is going to be consistent no matter where you play. 

It is a really fun course with many very memorable views and holes.  Is it going to win architectural awards....probably not on this site, but I think you would have a lot of fun.  And more than likely, you will probably see some sort of wild life that you wouldn't normally see.   

I'll go against the grain, play it.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:23:51 AM »
Don't know anything about Quarry Oaks but here is a link to the courses of John Lafoy:

http://www.worldgolf.com/golf-architects/john-lafoy.html
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Kirk Gill

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 12:44:15 AM »
Thanks for all the information, gents.

Jeff - I'm hoping that the folks setting up this tourney pick the right set of tees. In the past we've played at some very nondescript courses, and have played from the back, but that's when there was just a set of blues and a set of reds !

Jason- sounds like golf in that neck of the woods qualifies as one of life's Unknown Pleasures.

Shane - I'm looking forward to playing it and have heard that there are nice views and wildlife that might make something like a family tourney enjoyable. I appreciate your info.

Bruce - thanks for that link. Of course, I haven't played any of those courses listed either ! Has anyone played any of the other Lafoy courses?

-Don Barzini

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:12:53 AM »
Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven , God was missing for six days. Eventually, Michael the Archangel found Him, resting on the seventh day.

He inquired of God, 'Where have you been?'

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds, 'Look Michael, look what I've made!'

Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, 'What is it?' 

'It's a planet,' replied God, and I've put life on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance.' 

'Balance?' inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth. 'For example, Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while southern Europe is going to be poor; the Middle East over there will be a hot spot. And over there I've placed a continent of white people, while over here is a continent of black people.'  God continued, pointing to different countries. 'This one will be extremely hot and arid while this one will be very cold and covered in ice.'

The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to an area of rolling hills and prairie on a large land mass and said, 'What's that beautiful garden spot there?' 

'Ah', said God. 'That's Nebraska , the most glorious place on earth.' There are beautiful lakes, rivers, sunrises, sunsets, rolling hills, open prairie, oceans of waving wheat, small waterfalls, monumental rock formations, abundant wildlife, pure white snow in the winter, white fluffy clouds, blue skies year-round, and a place where a person can see millions of stars in the sky at night.  God continued, 'The people from Nebraska are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous and they are going to be found traveling the world.  They will be extremely sociable, hard working and high achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace.' 

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then proclaimed, 'What about balance, God? You said there would be balance!' 

God replied wisely, 'Wait until you see the idiots I'm putting around them in Kansas , Colorado , South Dakota , Iowa , Missouri , and Wyoming .'
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kirk Gill

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 10:01:06 AM »
God replied wisely, 'Wait until you see the idiots I'm putting around them in Kansas , Colorado , South Dakota , Iowa , Missouri , and Wyoming .'

Guilty as charged !

And weren't some of them put in Texas as well? Don't even have to ask about Washington, D.C., although it weren't the Lord that put'em there!
                             -Don Barzini

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 11:24:36 AM »
I'm always dismayed when I see what courses cost in other parts of the country compared with the northeast.  $63 with a cart for a top rated course would not be considered expensive.  For example, Newport National has a 'bargain' rate of $65 for local residents, $125 for others.  If only the midwest had some appeal besides greens fees  ;)

Jason Hines

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »
Cliff, we do, our standard of living is high and we have most of the food. ;)

Adam,

Based on your Nebraska poem, please tell me that you are not planning your week around Husker games?

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »
Kirk -- I've live in Nebraska my whole life and haven't yet ventured to Quarry Oaks. That certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't play it.

I'd recommend Woodland Hills if you get a chance; some of Jeff Brauer's early work. It's probably only a 25 minute drive from Mahoney.

BTW -- John LaFoy is the guy who did the "restoration" of the much-beloved Southern Pines. You can clearly was and where he left Ross alone.

Kirk Gill

Re: Change of Plan - No Longer Quarry Oaks, Nebraska
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 10:59:50 PM »
I edited my first post to reflect the fact that I'm now inquiring about Iron Horse Golf Club. I'd really appreciate any insight anyone might have regarding this course.
                             -Don Barzini

Ben Voelker

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 01:12:39 AM »
Kirk,

I grew up in Lincoln and have played both Quarry Oaks (a number of times) and Iron Horse (once or twice).  I personally think Quarry Oaks is much more interesting and definitely more difficult.  The elevation changes are Quarry Oaks are far more significant and give the course a bit of character, especially 12, 14 and 17.  I found Iron Horse a bit dull in most places, through a new development and not particularly walkable due to a few long walks across subdivison roads.  There are a few holes that are quite intimidating visually (9 and 10 in particular), but I didn't find even those holes that interesting.

Woodland Hills down in Eagle is quite good, but I think it is much more than 25 minutes to get there from Ashland.  I think you are probably talking closer to 45-60 minutes to get there, but I think it is much better than Iron Horse and a bit better than QO.  It again is not very walkable due to a few long treks between holes, but is probably easier done on the feet than the other two.  There are a number of holes I really like there including 4, 5, 9 and 14.

Hope that is helpful, let me know if you want any more info.

Ben

Jay Carstens

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 08:38:05 AM »
Kirk,
Iron Horse is a Gene Bates design, who's a former associate of Jack Nicklaus' and also has done some work with Freddie Couples.  I liked the course (the greens in particular/I'll bet you'll hit a couple of putts during the round that you'll read going the other way.  I'll also agree with RJ that it's probably a cart situation (as is QO), although we've walked both several times. #10's the hole that get's most of the attention and while there aren't any options, I mainly see it as a "gut check" and found it a fun challenge.  You'll feel really good if you can mark down a 5 there!  Anyway, I'd say go play.  A nice member-type course (not long) and not at all what you'd expect in Nebraska.
Jay
Play the course as you find it

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back