News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Willie_Dow

Short Courses
« on: May 16, 2009, 08:10:52 PM »
Some may recall my interest in developing an old layout on Buzzards Bay, MA, at Salters Point.  In 1914 the early recreation plan laid out nine holes for about 50 homes overlooking the bay and a salt pond.

What are the economics of building short courses ?

Adrian_Stiff

Re: Short Courses
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:05:20 AM »
Some may recall my interest in developing an old layout on Buzzards Bay, MA, at Salters Point.  In 1914 the early recreation plan laid out nine holes for about 50 homes overlooking the bay and a salt pond.

Willie I can only speak from a UK perspective but perhaps it is US relevant. As a construction 9 holes costs 50% of 18 in most respects, its roughly half the time and half the materials, you can probably get an inside price on materials for 18 and save a couple of %. Irrigation is fairly expensive for a 9 hole, maybe the first 9 costs 75% and 25% for the add on, the pump house, computer, main frameworks are high costs. Also its hard to have half a car park, half a tractor, half a pro, your service costs to put the electric is still high, etc etc so the run costs go up, sadly at best you only get 50% the income of a 9 holer and people prefer 18 hole courses mainly. A 9 holer can work best if it is linked to a driving range or other facility where, the half pro, half car park situation can be absorbed economically into the other operation.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Willie_Dow

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »
Thanks Adrian for your thoughtful analysis. 

We are somewhat ahead on irrigation with a number of wells and an old stone tower which was used to supply water to the summer homes.  The east side of the course is about five feet above the west side, and this would offer a header and drainage for winter cleanout.

I'm somewhat reluctant with your comment that "people prefer 18 hole courses mainly".  I'm finding that the upcoming generation is devoting less and less time for golf, with so many activities on the family plate.  A short round might actually see an increase in demand.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 10:01:17 AM »
Thanks Adrian for your thoughtful analysis. 

We are somewhat ahead on irrigation with a number of wells and an old stone tower which was used to supply water to the summer homes.  The east side of the course is about five feet above the west side, and this would offer a header and drainage for winter cleanout.

I'm somewhat reluctant with your comment that "people prefer 18 hole courses mainly".  I'm finding that the upcoming generation is devoting less and less time for golf, with so many activities on the family plate.  A short round might actually see an increase in demand.

Willle a round of golf is 18 holes and most (but not all) people consider playing 18. I take your point with time/modern needs 9 holes can be enough for some, the main problem in having just 9 is you will exclude some people who wont want to go round twice, plenty of things you could do to perhaps spice that up though in the design with diff, tees perhaps even a couple of alternate greens, but you will loose some. Commercially your income will only ever be 50% of what you could expect from a full course you can get twice the volume. Making money from golf is marginal and I always feel 9 hole courses inhibit your chances of making money, equally a 36 hole unit does not require twice the staff, can use the same clubhouse, greenkeeping sheds etc. How many acres do you have?
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:46:59 AM »

Willie, if this is an old layout, can it be reclaimed / renovated or does it have to be built from scratch?  Would the old layout be interesting and on challenging terrain?

What are the demographics?  is there readily accessible and affordable daily fee golf nearby already? 

I can remember playing a lot of fun golf with my dad on the Mare Island (Vallejo CA naval shipyard) nine holer with two sets of tees in the 1950s.  Given modern time and cost constraints, I could see that being appealing if there's a good practice area and kid friendly atmosphere.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
Adrian:  We have about 105 acres of useable land for golf.  If we dredge the pond along the South Beach (look up Salters Pond on google earth - zip 02748) we could probably add 50 acres.  But with our budget for golf it is a long stretch at this time.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:44:09 PM by Willie_Dow »

Willie_Dow

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 12:04:38 PM »
Bill :  We are already in the reclaiming mode, as much of the course was washed out in the 1938 Hurricane.  I have a great picture of a shot to the fourth green across the corner of the pond which would offer a great par four back towards what is now woods, a new #5, bordering the pond.  Can you get this on Google Earth ?

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »
Adrian:  We have about 105 acres of useable land for golf.  If we dredge the pond along the South Beach (look up Salters Pond on google earth - zip 02963) we could probably add 50 acres.  But with our budget for golf it is a long stretch at this time.
You obviously know the land but could you not get 18 holes on the 105 acres, it is suprising if you have 6 short holes (they can occupy about 1 acre each) you can get a fun course. I am just completing an 18 holer on 70 acres, it's tight in a few places and the next tee literally adjoins the previous green on 9 occasions but it will be fun and you will get round in 3 hours. 5540 yards par 68, 3 par fives, 7 par threes, just 2 par four holes over 400. Commercially an 18 holer has a much better chance, and economics was strongly mentioned in your opening thread. I'll go check google.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »
Adrian

Did you note that I changed the zip code for Google Earth ?  I was confused by Florida zip - sorry.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 08:58:53 PM »

Willie - have a read of the Research Report on Growing the Game prepared by Frank Thomas - it may be of interest to you.

http://growingthegame.org/

Cheers - Lyne

Trey Stiles

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 11:09:54 PM »
Willie , I had the mgt contract on an old , tired muni that was just over 100 acres ... We engaged Tripp Davis to reroute / redesign ... Tripp did multiple 18 hole routings ... Turned an old 6000 yd course into an interesting 6700 yd design ... We even fit in a short game warm up area ( no range ) ... The city loved it , and engaged Tripp to do a full design ... Got about 80% thru the process and the self appointed " golf expert " councilman  killed the project.

Bottom Line : You can get a decent 18 hole entry level course on a small , well proportioned , flat site without a range ... You might never get a US Open , and it might not appeal to the upper echelon golfer , but it can be done.

Greg Murphy

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 10:09:51 AM »
The economics of nine hole courses are a lot better than many assume. If water and power are readily available and there is existing road access to the site, a nine holer can be built for under 60% of an eighteen holer. As Adrian notes, you can't build half a pump house or purchase half a control system, but you can halve your pipe and wire and drainage elements which make up the lion's share of the irrigation budget. On the revenue side, players are willing to pay 60-70% of an eighteen hole rate for the opportunity to play nine. On the expense side, the right people need to be found. Find a superintendent who likes to be on the ground rather than behind a desk and a versatile pro (or manager) not averse to managing all aspects of the operation, from budgeting to ordering to banking to player service to teaching to flipping the odd burger or serving a beverage from time to time. They're out there. The whole operation can be made surprisingly lean and flat. Although rounds capacity during the busiest times can't match half an eighteen holer, expenses can be managed to below half in slower times.

Finally, it's a mistake to equate "nine" to "short". The scale of a nine holer can be and should be made every bit as big as an eighteen holer.

hick

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 07:35:08 PM »
willie, is the land for the course near nonquitt on the map which is a nine holer, or closer to the south. thanks, Mat

Willie_Dow

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 10:48:26 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging comments !

Mat - Salters is south of Nonquitt on the entrance to Buzzards Bay, next to Mischaum Point. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back