News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg McMullin

Re: "The finest four consecutive holes on any course in the world"
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »
I may be wrong but I haven't seen any Canadian courses mentioned here. May I put forward the following:
Cape Breton Highlands Links 1 to 4 and 15- 18.
In both cases the variety of shots required make the hole memorable.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2009, 07:13:33 PM »
Pebble 6, 7, 8 & 9

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Lester George

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2009, 08:49:06 AM »
A few of mine would be:

6-9 Pebble

15-18 Seminole

15-18 Elizabeth Manor

5-8, 1-4, 14-17 Old White

Lester

Jason Topp

« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2009, 11:16:48 AM »
The Old Course 11-14

11 - most copied hole in the world
12 - One of the most enjoyable and memorable anywhere
13 - the least charm of the bunch but still an interesting challenging test
14 - probably the most studied hole in the world.

2 birdie/eagle chances, 2 difficult holes.  par 3, 4, 4, 5, match is almost always still in doubt at that point in the round

I take 11, 12 and 13 over 15, 16 and 17.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2009, 11:21:55 AM »
1-4 at Dornoch

If you get through there with your wits intact you are either good, lucky, gormless or some combination of the three.

Shane Wright

« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »
Bandon did right by maximizing the land for more than just 1 or 2 courses but

5-6 Bandon Dunes
11-12 - Pacific Dunes

would have been an amazing run for one course.  Probably would have been my tops.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
C'mon folks, #12 at Pac Dunes might be the dullest hole on the course...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Kalen Braley

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2009, 04:36:56 PM »
C'mon folks, #12 at Pac Dunes might be the dullest hole on the course...

Unless he meant to say 10 and 11...

Ben Sims

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »
Michael,

I consider PD 12 the yin to 18's yang.  It might be the most sublimely subtle hole on the course.  And smashed in between the bold and powerful 11 and 13, its a perfect 10 minute respite until you get to its very tough to hold and read green.

henrye

« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »
Really strong stretches:

9-12 Sunningdale Old
9-12 Tryall
14-17 Deal (I also don't think 18 is that strong a finisher)
13-16 Jasper

Bob Barriger

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »
While I am a member at Wolf Run and play 12-15 on a daily basis, it is a stout stretch of well-designed golf holes and can stand up with any stretch of 4 golf holes IMHO.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2009, 09:54:09 PM »
RD- 3-6

RNK- 5-8

CMD

Stan Dodd

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2009, 01:11:46 AM »
Royal Aberdeen 1-4
 1 Great thrill teeing off in front of the members lounge and a good tough start.
 2 Great links par 5
3  tought par 3 into prevailing wind
4 Solid links hole in the dunes.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2009, 01:50:50 AM »
Michael,

I consider PD 12 the yin to 18's yang.  It might be the most sublimely subtle hole on the course.  And smashed in between the bold and powerful 11 and 13, its a perfect 10 minute respite until you get to its very tough to hold and read green.

Ben

I hear ya clucken big chicken, but this is a thread about the best four hole stretch, and by your own admission, #12 at PD is a "respite" hole.

Within the flow of Pacific, it is a peach, but otherwise I do not think it is one of the best 13 holes on the course... 

Ben Sims

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2009, 03:35:31 PM »
Michael,

In the words of Robert Goulet, "Quick, staring contest, go.......you win.  You always do."

I know when I need to eat crow.  By using my own language against me, you point out that just because a hole has flow, doesn't mean it's great.  I still argue that there is no way Mr. Doak could've justified having another seaside thriller as 12.  It would've required only that #4 be reversed to #12 and vice versa. But then that great mid front nine crescendo would've been lost. It is the best 4 hole stretch I've ever played, so I'll leave it at that.  3-6 at PD is pretty damn good too, but another par 5 that crosses the plain (#3) is stuck in there. 

Fuuny you mention the big chicken.  That's a landmark for directions and maneuvering in north Atlanta.  As in, go 5 miles and turn left at the Big Chicken.  Takes me back to my childhood...

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2009, 06:14:07 AM »
I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread but -

Holes 13, 14, 15 and 16 at New South Wales are worthy of nomination.

Holes 4, 5, 6 and 7 at Newcastle (I think they've got a vote) are good but not THE BEST ever.

Having played Royal Melbourne West yesterday, if there's a better stretch than 3,4,5 & 6,
I'd love to see it. It might not have an oceanside setting, but in terms of pure golf architecture,
it can't get better than that.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Sean_A

« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2009, 06:26:15 AM »
I can come up with loads off the top of my head:

8-11 Turnberry
3-6 Dornoch, Cruden Bay and Lahinch - I really don't know which I prefer
14-17 TOC ( a bit of a no brainer!)
13-16 North Berwick (but I really hate to leave out 17!) - gotta support Ace
6-9 Pennard (could chuck in 10 & 11 as well), Co Down (I can't really choose between the two) - Tobacco Road came to mind as well
12-15 Burnham
15-18 Burnham - thought of Beau Desert as well
1-4 St Enodoc - thought of Tenby as well
5-8 Co Down
9-12 Hoylake

I keep going through my favourite inland courses and the long stretches just don't seem to compare even at Merion.  I spose this is one reason I much prefer links to other types of courses.  

I will chuck out the ties and the ones which just don't quite measure up.  That leaves five.  

14-17 TOC
13-16 North Berwick
1-4 St Enodoc
5-8 Co Down
9-12 Hoylake

TOC: I am not sure #14 holds up very well these days, but I have to give it the benefit of the doubt.  15 certainly pales in comparison to 16 and 17.

Co Down: Well, I am kicking out TOC's run and just can't see Co Down's being better.

Hoylake: #s 10 and 12 are very similar and I am not sure 11 is competes with some of the others in these stretches.  

That Leaves 1-4 St Enodoc, a classic opening sequence of holes which gives the player all the thrills he could wish for and a world class short par 4

OR

13-16 North Berwick.  Another thrilling ride with one of the most unique hazards (the wall at Pit) and greens (#16) in the game.  Ironically, Perfection is certainly the weak link of the bunch, but I am not so certain it is any more flawed than St Enodoc's 3rd.  At the end of the day, North Berwick also has one of the most iconic holes in its Redan and that has to be what seals the deal.

Ciao

Sean
I wouldn't disagree with you giving the verdict to North Berwick 13-16 but you imply there are no inland stretches of holes good enough to even make a (long) shortlist.

How about 10-13 at Alwoodley?
10 is a doglegging par 5 upon which Mackenzie is reckoned to have modelled the drive on 13 at Augusta
11 is a tricky par 3 where you don't want to be above the hole
12 is a par 4 with a blind carry over gorse from the tee
13 is a long par 4 required two good long straight shots to find the green

Alternatively 11-14 at Notts?

Notts 11-14?  I would take 10-13 personally and I thiknk this stretch is better than Alwoodley's.  I am almost bound to pick a links stretch because links is the best form of the game.  Either way, 13-16 at N Berwick is unmatched in its influence on architecture and its variety.  Don't forget, that if the stretch went 5 holes thru #17, N Berwick becomes even a stronger candidate. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2009, 08:13:55 AM »
Carnoustie

Holes 15 to 18 at No better finish in tournament golf.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2009, 03:16:46 PM »
While not the "finest" I must give a nod to the four finishing holes at Beverly. 

As for the finest, nos. 2 through 5 and 10 through 13 at Augusta National Golf Club are worthy.   In fact 10 through 15 should win top six consecutive holes without a challenger. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Anthony Butler

« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »
I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread but -

Holes 13, 14, 15 and 16 at New South Wales are worthy of nomination.

Thanks for mentioning, Matthew. Never want to seem like too much of homer by mentioning your own club.
With some work on Number 4, it could join 5-7 to make another 4 hole stretch.

15-18 at Winged Foot West is pretty solid. Just ask everyone who finished 2nd at the 2006 Open.
Next!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »
Deal fans I'd say 14-17;

14 - long par 3 well bunkered and quick green
15 - long par 4 classic links hole encouraging a running second shot to a semi blind green sloping away from the player
16 - great short par 5 with one of the best greens in links golf, many a 5 comes from 3 putts
17 - short par 4 to a naturally defended green. Best approached from Vardons Parlour
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2009, 07:03:53 AM »
I can come up with loads off the top of my head:

8-11 Turnberry
3-6 Dornoch, Cruden Bay and Lahinch - I really don't know which I prefer
14-17 TOC ( a bit of a no brainer!)
13-16 North Berwick (but I really hate to leave out 17!) - gotta support Ace
6-9 Pennard (could chuck in 10 & 11 as well), Co Down (I can't really choose between the two) - Tobacco Road came to mind as well
12-15 Burnham
15-18 Burnham - thought of Beau Desert as well
1-4 St Enodoc - thought of Tenby as well
5-8 Co Down
9-12 Hoylake

I keep going through my favourite inland courses and the long stretches just don't seem to compare even at Merion.  I spose this is one reason I much prefer links to other types of courses.  

I will chuck out the ties and the ones which just don't quite measure up.  That leaves five.  

14-17 TOC
13-16 North Berwick
1-4 St Enodoc
5-8 Co Down
9-12 Hoylake

TOC: I am not sure #14 holds up very well these days, but I have to give it the benefit of the doubt.  15 certainly pales in comparison to 16 and 17.

Co Down: Well, I am kicking out TOC's run and just can't see Co Down's being better.

Hoylake: #s 10 and 12 are very similar and I am not sure 11 is competes with some of the others in these stretches.  

That Leaves 1-4 St Enodoc, a classic opening sequence of holes which gives the player all the thrills he could wish for and a world class short par 4

OR

13-16 North Berwick.  Another thrilling ride with one of the most unique hazards (the wall at Pit) and greens (#16) in the game.  Ironically, Perfection is certainly the weak link of the bunch, but I am not so certain it is any more flawed than St Enodoc's 3rd.  At the end of the day, North Berwick also has one of the most iconic holes in its Redan and that has to be what seals the deal.

Ciao

Sean
I wouldn't disagree with you giving the verdict to North Berwick 13-16 but you imply there are no inland stretches of holes good enough to even make a (long) shortlist.

How about 10-13 at Alwoodley?
10 is a doglegging par 5 upon which Mackenzie is reckoned to have modelled the drive on 13 at Augusta
11 is a tricky par 3 where you don't want to be above the hole
12 is a par 4 with a blind carry over gorse from the tee
13 is a long par 4 required two good long straight shots to find the green

Alternatively 11-14 at Notts?

Notts 11-14?  I would take 10-13 personally and I thiknk this stretch is better than Alwoodley's.  I am almost bound to pick a links stretch because links is the best form of the game.  Either way, 13-16 at N Berwick is unmatched in its influence on architecture and its variety.  Don't forget, that if the stretch went 5 holes thru #17, N Berwick becomes even a stronger candidate. 

Ciao

Sean

I wouldn't disagree with you (& wasn't intending to) re picking a links stretch.  I was just trying to think of a heathland stretch which could make a (long) short list.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mike Hendren

« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »
Upon further reflection, nos. 1 through 4 at Augusta are equal to nos. 2 through 5 in my book.  The first is so underrated and so often bogeyed in the tournament - it's got Tiger's number.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

tlavin

« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2009, 10:58:55 AM »
Wow, what a fun thread.  The Pebble Beach, Pacific Dunes and Prairie Dunes nominations are all solid, IMHO.  I wish I had played Sand Hills more often so I could put the foursome together, but I'd be guessing. 

To me, the neatest nominees are the opening four or the closing four.  If you open with the best combination of four holes, you really have a cracker of a golf course (unless it gets bogged down thereafter) and closing with the best stretch is undeniably a terrific trait for a great golf course.  In Chicago, I'd put the final four at Beverly against any other local course.  I think it tops Olympia, Butler and Medinah in this respect.  As for an opening foursome in Chicago, Chicago Golf is hard to top.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back