News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: "The finest four consecutive holes on any course in the world"
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2009, 10:33:13 PM »
North Berwick 13 - 16.  Ahh, the quirk!  ;D

mike_beene

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2009, 11:14:35 PM »
Playoff course at St Andrews 1,2,17,18. # 3 through 6 at Muirfield-fun play through the keyhole,a beautiful par 5 with a two tiered green with elevation change vertical to golfer and the breathtakeing 6th with its turn toward the archerfield woods.

Mark_F

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2009, 04:21:53 AM »
15,16,17, 18 Commonwealth.

An excellent par three preceding three varied par fours with different tee shot hazards and three very different greens that ask a lot from your short game if you miss them.

Almost as good as 8-11 at St Andrews Beach...

John Spraggs

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2009, 08:36:13 PM »
Of the courses I have played
#1 - #4 Pine valley
#1 - #4 Spyglass

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2009, 11:06:44 PM »
I've always liked 4-7 at Sunningdale (Old) but it would probably be a choice between it and the stretch of 4-7 at RMW

Sentimental favourite for me is North Berwick (West) 14 - 17

I have to include "the Pit" in mine at North Berwick = 13-16  ;)

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »
Pinehurst #2 (2-5)

Maidstone - #8-11

RCD - #1-4

Ballyneal #7-10

Jamie Barber

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2009, 03:57:23 AM »
I agree with the shouts for RCD.

At Deal I rate 14-17 better than 15-18 (never cared much for the 18th but I really like the 14th)

mike_malone

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2009, 10:17:05 AM »
Now that we have made changes that recover the intended playability # 12 through #15 at Rolling Green are extremely fun to play , particularly for their variety of shots required. It probably now exceeds #7 through #10 on the same course.
AKA Mayday

JESII

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2009, 10:21:17 AM »
Now that we have made changes that recover the intended playability # 12 through #15 at Rolling Green are extremely fun to play , particularly for their variety of shots required. It probably now exceeds #7 through #10 on the same course.

By a mile...

Drew Standley

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
Having just played Prairie Dunes this last Saturday, I would have to say 6-9 are pretty fantastic.  

Warwick Loton

« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2009, 10:27:51 AM »
Mike and Matt

What if we take the Composite routing that gives us these West holes in order: 6, 7, 10, 11.  6 obviously the same, the questions then are:
do you prefer 7 to 5?
do you prefer 10 to 3?
do you prefer 11 to 4?

I could get behind 10 over 3 and 7 over 5 (that might take a few pots in the clubhouse), but 4 am could roll around and I probably wouldn't take 11 over 4.  Intellectually, 11 tee has a lot to offer, especially relative to 4's flaw and as a mirror to 6's dogleg.  But the 2nd to the 4th: that's one awesome opportunity!

Mark I couldn't agree with you more.

MM

So many good options, but what about the RM Composite sequence 5W, 6W, 7W, 10W?
With two par-3 holes and nothing over 400m, that's a lot of exciting golf in little more than 1,000 yards - and when slick, three of those holes provide potentially terrifying putts for those who get too cute.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2009, 10:49:57 AM »
I am rather surprised that nobody has mentioned the last four at Sand Hills...or a stretch that would include number 12 at Ballyneal.
Also the stretch 8-11 at Royal Troon is pretty damn good.
12-15 at Royal Birkdale as well....
those mentioned at Pine Valley and Merion get a huge thumbs up from here as well.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2009, 10:57:11 AM »
Jk. I'd pick 5-8 @ Ballyneal. 10-13 aint no slouch either. Scrw difficulty. 

Adam -- I was trying to think which holes I would pick, too. 10-13 is brutally hard. I like 5-8, as well. But, I think I'd take 6-9 first (I just love the 9th) and then I'd go with 3-7. I love the tee shot on four and the tiny third is wonderfully done. Of course, that's getting pretty nit picky.

At Sand Hills, I go with 17-2 -- you never just play that place one. Prairie Dunes is 7-10. Pinehurst #2 is 3-6. I'd pick 7-10 at Pebble just slightly over 6-9. And the start of the back nine at Pasa is thrilling at 10-13, though 13-16 is a wonderful stretch as well.

Emil Weber

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2009, 03:32:01 PM »
You may not know the course but holes 15-18 at Frankfurter GC, Germany are great holes.

The 15th is a par 5 that can be reached in two if the the drive carrys a ridge.

The sixteenth is a downhill, 185 yard par three which is probably the most beatiful hole on the course.

The 17th is another reachable par 5 but the tee shot is completely blind - testin the nerves near the end of the round. There are severel great options if you lay up, depending on the pin position.

The finishing hole is played from a highly elevated tee with a magnificent view of Frankfurt's skyline. It's a really tough finish at 450 yards from the back tees.

You will soon see a profile of this course in the 'my home course' section  :)

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »
15 - 18 at Friars Head are pretty special for me.

Sean_A

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
I can come up with loads off the top of my head:

8-11 Turnberry
3-6 Dornoch, Cruden Bay and Lahinch - I really don't know which I prefer
14-17 TOC ( a bit of a no brainer!)
13-16 North Berwick (but I really hate to leave out 17!) - gotta support Ace
6-9 Pennard (could chuck in 10 & 11 as well), Co Down (I can't really choose between the two) - Tobacco Road came to mind as well
12-15 Burnham
15-18 Burnham - thought of Beau Desert as well
1-4 St Enodoc - thought of Tenby as well
5-8 Co Down
9-12 Hoylake

I keep going through my favourite inland courses and the long stretches just don't seem to compare even at Merion.  I spose this is one reason I much prefer links to other types of courses.  

I will chuck out the ties and the ones which just don't quite measure up.  That leaves five.  

14-17 TOC
13-16 North Berwick
1-4 St Enodoc
5-8 Co Down
9-12 Hoylake

TOC: I am not sure #14 holds up very well these days, but I have to give it the benefit of the doubt.  15 certainly pales in comparison to 16 and 17.

Co Down: Well, I am kicking out TOC's run and just can't see Co Down's being better.

Hoylake: #s 10 and 12 are very similar and I am not sure 11 is competes with some of the others in these stretches.  

That Leaves 1-4 St Enodoc, a classic opening sequence of holes which gives the player all the thrills he could wish for and a world class short par 4

OR

13-16 North Berwick.  Another thrilling ride with one of the most unique hazards (the wall at Pit) and greens (#16) in the game.  Ironically, Perfection is certainly the weak link of the bunch, but I am not so certain it is any more flawed than St Enodoc's 3rd.  At the end of the day, North Berwick also has one of the most iconic holes in its Redan and that has to be what seals the deal.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

PCCraig

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2009, 05:25:24 PM »
#11 - 14 at Shoreacres is as good as it gets in Chicago.

Also, #15 - 18 at TCC are fantastic as well.
H.P.S.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2009, 05:34:52 PM »
2-5 Olympic-Lake. 
 2 - uphill par 4 w/ blind tee shot.
 3 - long, downhill par 3
 4 - Dog-leg left. 
 5 - Dog-leg right.

Sean Leary

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2009, 05:41:47 PM »
Having just played Prairie Dunes this last Saturday, I would have to say 6-9 are pretty fantastic.  

7-10 and 8-11 are pretty great as well, especially if you want to include a par 3.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2009, 05:43:20 PM »

7-10 and 8-11 are pretty great as well, especially if you want to include a par 3.

I was going to say the same thing.  And just in case starts on #10...  17, 18, 1, and 2 would make for a great stretch.

Ben Sims

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2009, 11:21:32 PM »
Whew!!

There is some amazing stretches on this thread.

I am sticking with 10-13 at Pacific Dunes.  I've never played Augusta, but I've been there for 3 different practice rounds back in the late 90's.  I think 10-13 at ANGC or even 12-15 could be mentioned here. 

Believe me when I say that 6-9 at Old Mac may trump them all for sheer architectural interest. Long #6, Plateau (or Knoll, I forget) #7, Biarritz #8, Cape #9.   

Michael Robin

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2009, 02:03:50 AM »
Ben, you are right about OM. 15 -18 will be All-World, 10-13 will be All-World, and 1-4 might just be All-World. Ok, 6-9 too could be All-World.

Smells like Tom and Jim might have done a lot right there.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »
I can come up with loads off the top of my head:

8-11 Turnberry
3-6 Dornoch, Cruden Bay and Lahinch - I really don't know which I prefer
14-17 TOC ( a bit of a no brainer!)
13-16 North Berwick (but I really hate to leave out 17!) - gotta support Ace
6-9 Pennard (could chuck in 10 & 11 as well), Co Down (I can't really choose between the two) - Tobacco Road came to mind as well
12-15 Burnham
15-18 Burnham - thought of Beau Desert as well
1-4 St Enodoc - thought of Tenby as well
5-8 Co Down
9-12 Hoylake

I keep going through my favourite inland courses and the long stretches just don't seem to compare even at Merion.  I spose this is one reason I much prefer links to other types of courses.  

I will chuck out the ties and the ones which just don't quite measure up.  That leaves five.  

14-17 TOC
13-16 North Berwick
1-4 St Enodoc
5-8 Co Down
9-12 Hoylake

TOC: I am not sure #14 holds up very well these days, but I have to give it the benefit of the doubt.  15 certainly pales in comparison to 16 and 17.

Co Down: Well, I am kicking out TOC's run and just can't see Co Down's being better.

Hoylake: #s 10 and 12 are very similar and I am not sure 11 is competes with some of the others in these stretches.  

That Leaves 1-4 St Enodoc, a classic opening sequence of holes which gives the player all the thrills he could wish for and a world class short par 4

OR

13-16 North Berwick.  Another thrilling ride with one of the most unique hazards (the wall at Pit) and greens (#16) in the game.  Ironically, Perfection is certainly the weak link of the bunch, but I am not so certain it is any more flawed than St Enodoc's 3rd.  At the end of the day, North Berwick also has one of the most iconic holes in its Redan and that has to be what seals the deal.

Ciao

Sean
I wouldn't disagree with you giving the verdict to North Berwick 13-16 but you imply there are no inland stretches of holes good enough to even make a (long) shortlist.

How about 10-13 at Alwoodley?
10 is a doglegging par 5 upon which Mackenzie is reckoned to have modelled the drive on 13 at Augusta
11 is a tricky par 3 where you don't want to be above the hole
12 is a par 4 with a blind carry over gorse from the tee
13 is a long par 4 required two good long straight shots to find the green

Alternatively 11-14 at Notts?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2009, 06:50:39 PM »
I was doing some reading just now and came across this quote, attributed to Gary Player. My questions for the treehouse are:

1. Which course and which holes on the course he is referring to?
2. What are the four best consecutive holes in the world in your opinion?

#14 - #17 Troon North Monument (new layout)
#6 - #9 Troon North Pinnacle (new layout)

Any 4 hole stretch at We Ko Pa Cholla or Saguaro.  What a wonderful place!

Ben Sims

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2009, 07:10:02 PM »
Mr. Wolfe,

I concur regarding Saguaro.  However, I don't feel that Cholla should be in the category as "any" four hole stretch being the best in the world.  Saguaro, for me, was a continuation of the modern return to old school playability and fun with strategic interest.  C&C did a remarkable job of including features that challenged me from the tips, but remained fun for the aging German couple that I played with that day.  I thoroughly enjoyed the 6-10 stretch of holes and would include it in the top 10 of stretches I have played (yes its five I know).  It is a course that defends the "new-old school" architectural model--using width, lots of short grass around greens, and undulated putting surfaces--with vigor.

Cholla however, for me, played a lot like many of the new upscale daily fee courses in the 1990-present genre.  It was tougher no doubt.  I understand that appeal.  But I doubt "Mr. and Mrs. Aging German expat living in Phoenix" enjoy Cholla near as much as Saguaro.  I played Cholla in EXACTLY the same score as Saguaro--by the way--in case if you were wondering if I was jaded by how tough it was.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back