News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

A pilgrimage to North Berwick!
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:01:28 AM »
After quite a few failed attempts to play there, I finally managed a round at North Berwick recently!

I was well aware of some of the more famous holes (or infamous holes, depending upon your opinion?) like 13, 15 and 16, but had no real idea what most of therest of the course had in store for me? It is for this reason that although there have been many pictures of the famous holes posted here, I thought I’d put up some of the pictures I took of the whole course.

I had visited North Berwick before, but without my clubs, so I new where the car park was located. We therefore parked around the corner and walked, much to the moaning of my playing partners, who didn’t understand why till several hours later when we stood on the 18th tee!

This is the view of the starters hut and the ‘underground’ pro shop (could put a grass roof on that one to help it blend in, or is that just the eco friendly architect in me talking?)

Looking back over the raised up 18th green with the car park beyond

Hole 1
Point Garry (Out)
323 yard Par 4
I get the impression that this is not a well loved hole on here. However, I actually thought it a good introduction into the character of the course and liked the hole, though my birdie three may have something to do with that? North Berwick is the sort of course where a mid iron tee shot to lay up short of the public path to the beach, followed by a short iron to a huge but blind green, is just a perfect start. As an alternative you can have a crack at the green if you are long enough, or finish up on the beach if you fall short and right! Its exactly the type of quirkiness that makes this course something special.

This is the view of the tee shot

This is the pretty much blind approach

The big green with its left to right slope

Hole 2
Sea
432 yard Par 4
So having been eased into the round, how about test of your driving on the second? That’s exactly what you get here, with the challenge being to bite off as much of the beach as you can, driver in hand, beach waiting to the right again. Here is the view from the tee.

View of the approach from the left side showing the contours of the fairway.

An interesting question arose after one of my playing partners decided to spend a bit of time on the beach, from where he hit the green and made his par. As it’s a lateral water hazard that is so much in play, do wise locals plan to tee off around low tide, so that if they make a mess of their drive here they still have a shot?

Closer view of the green, showing that there is actually room behind the short right bunker to run a ball in

Hole 3
Trap
460 yard Par 4
A good solid long par 4, with a dry stone wall crossing the fairway. This wasn’t in play when we played but I imagine if there is a strong wind behind it may make some of the bigger hitters think about laying back from it?

The only bunker on the hole (and I manage to find it!)

Hole 4
Carlekemp
178 yard Par 3
Now we start to get into the holes of the course that were unknown to me. The big distraction on the tee here is not the green up ahead, but the view across to the Redan as they share the same tee. However, once finished being distracted, this is not a bad par 3 itself. The green starts off pretty wide on the lower front tier but gets narrower towards the higher back tier, with bunkers to either side.

Hole 5
Bunkershill
370 yard Par 4
A short medium length par 4 with several bunkers in play from the tee, so its all about finding the fairway, though it wasn’t that clear from the tee what the best line was.

View of the green, with its little but deep pot just short right

Hole 6
Quarry
160 yard Par 3
This par 3 plays over an old quarry as the name suggests, to a large green where a two putt is probably not a certainty. Though in case you think I had a case of the three putts, I managed to get it down in two.

Hole 7
Eil Burn
354 yard Par 4
Another shortish par 4 and this time the challenge is up at the green as the tee shot looks pretty uninspiring though there is a lone bunker on the right

You have to hit your approach over the wee Eel Burn running across the front of the green, but the green looks big enough so you can easily err on the side of caution and go a bit long. Its then when you get to your ball, that you realize that a huge green like this with plenty of slopes, is like the previous hole, not a guaranteed two putt. And I know from experience in this case! Add to all that, unless you have hit a very big drive, you can’t see the burn or the front of the green

The view from a little closer to the green

Looking back at the green from the 8th tee

Hole 8
Linkhouse
506 yard Par 5
The first of 3 par fives and they are all within 4 holes of each other. No real trouble for the tee shot, though there is an old style cross bunker not far from the tee which I think has been recently reinstated as it doesn’t show up on the aerial photo?

Plenty of bunkers though around the layup and the green.

Hole 9
Mizzentop
520 yard Par 5
The ground began to change a little on the 8th, being a little more flat and a touch more meadow like under foot, and this hole continues the trend. I believe they run through what was previously farmland until it was aquired by the golf club for the course to be extended in 1932, thus creating this cluster of par 5s near to each other to lengthen the course.

Though the land may be flatter than some of the rest of the course, the challenge is still there, in the form of two bunkers sitting in the middle of the fairway, with a narrow strip between them and the out of bounds. Shades of the 6th at Carnoustie and Mr Hogan’s favourite spot. If you are as good as Hogan, you can thread your tee shot through here to give you a chance of reaching the green in two, otherwise it’s a layup.

View from short and right of the two fairway bunkers

View of the green for your approach should you decide to lay up, showing the green sitting up on the dune ridge

…and finally for the front nine, looking back down the hole

Hole 10
Eastward Ho!
171 yard Par 3
The distraction on this par 3 is not the bunkers around the green, but the view of the linksland you have just played out along and the view of the beach off to the left

Hole 11
Bos’ns Locker
548 yard Par 5
Again, you are distracted by the view over the Firth of Forth from the tee

And the dune ridge on the left and bunkers on the right make for a tight drive

Quite a tricky green this one, long, narrow and running from left to right

Hole 12
Bass
397 yard Par 4
In his Confidential Guide, Mr Doak tells us that this is a simple but effective par 4, however I think it has been changed a little since he wrote this, with the bunkering from the tee changed into a cluster of pots on the left hand side of the corner of the dogleg

View of the green from just past the bunkers

That ends the run of holes that many will not be familiar with, but now we are heading back into the territory of the well known holes, Pit, Perfection, Redan, Gate, Point Garry (In) and finally Home.

Hole 13
Pit
388 yard Par 4
What a great par 4 this is! “No one builds them like this anymore” is probably what you will say after walking off the back of the green? But whether it be as golfers or course designers, we should all perhaps be embarrassed that we have allowed the game to develop in such a way, that we are unlikely to see holes of such simplicity and character being built ever again?

The tee shot, doesn’t need to be huge, but the closer to the two fairway bunkers on the left, the better

Having managed to stay up the left hand side, you get a view of the green, nestled in behind another old dry stone wall. This is the view my brother had

I had actually come up just short of the bunkers in the left rough, and had the advantage of looking virtually straight up the green. What I also noticed was how the green sits on a narrow strip of land between the wall and the beach, with many people wandering along the edge of the beach, oblivious to the small white objects about to be hurtling in their general direction!

And here is the green, surrounded by dunes back and left with the drystone wall to the right

Finally, looking back down the hole, the pilgrimage was worth it for this hole alone, and yet there is still more to come…

Hole 14
Perfection
376 yard Par 4
Not sure if its perfection, but its probably not far off? Main trouble off the tee is actually the 4th green off to the right. There are then two fairway cross bunkers sitting at the base of a dune ridge that runs across the hole, making the approach blind.

And its here that we then realise the beauty (and perfection?) of the blind golf shot, as we walk over the ridge to see the green before us with yet another stunning view behind!

Hole 15
Redan
190 yard Par 3
Probably the most copied hole in the world? Its certainly one of the most talked about on here. As I knew how to play it, I was pretty chuffed with my low drawing 3 iron that ran just off the back of the green leaving me a 20ft putt or so, but perhaps the biggest disappointment on the tee here is that you don’t actually get a view of the green from the tee, as there is another dune ridge probably about 40 yards short of the green, with a couple of bunkers just below it

However, the view from just past this ridge makes it very clear what you either should have done, or will do next time, run one in from right to left, and you will avoid the bunker short left, and those way over the back right which you can’t see in this picture

Looking back up the green from behind, its actually quite a big green, but I wonder how many different hole positions there are with all that slope? Not that it matters though as you want to play it to a back left position as it was meant to be played!

Hole 16
Gate
379 yard Par 4
A drive over another dry stone wall with the choice of laying up short or going over another wee burn, keeping your shot up the right for the best angle in

The bunkers short left don’t really come into play, but with all the undulations in the green, it naturally seems to set up for another low running right to left shot

THAT hollow in the middle of the green!

And looking back from behind the green. The real challenge can be seen here is that there is a small ridge just short right of the green that will slow up any undercooked approach shot, and also that the green sits diagonally to the direction of play but the hollow is perpendicular to your approach

Hole 17
Point Garry (In)
428 yard Par 4
Afraid the main thing I remember about the tee shot is how many people there were wandering over the links! But then it was Easter Sunday and a beautiful day, but still it made the 10th at St. Enodoc look empty…

This is the approach to the green sitting up on Point Garry, with the first green beyond that. It must have been a real brute many years ago when it was played to the first green!

Very wide cross bunker short of the green

And a view of the green

Hole 18
Home
278 yard Par 4
You probably wont want this round to stop, but it has to at some point and like the first, with which it shares a fairway, the 18th also doesn’t seem to get much love. This is probably because it’s a short 4, that with wind behind can be driven by even modest hitters. Though there is plenty to love here… The challenge of not hitting a dreadful slice into the car park, the hollow short right of the green which your approach has to run through, and it feels like you are finishing off almost in the centre of North Berwick town itself? The similarities with the 18th at The Old Course are obvious, though this one is much easier, and its perhaps that which adds to the mental challenge. It really should be a birdie, shouldn’t it?

And its very own Valley of Sin with the recently refurbished clubhouse behind

Finally I nipped back into the starters hut to thank the very friendly and welcoming chap in there for such an amazing course to play round. I also took a picture of the old course map they had in there, which I think a few of you may be interested in. I don’t thinks there is a date on it but its before the 1932 extension out at 9, 10 and 11…

I’m sure most of you are all familiar with many other aspects and history of the course, but I could add more details if anyone is interested. Also, I’ve just read up in George Peper’s 500 World’s Greatest Golf Holes that he lists 7, 9 and 15 in there. Nice to see one of the more unknown holes getting recognition, but though I love the green on 7, it’s a fairly bland drive, so is it top 500 material?

Anyway, hope you enjoyed those pictures and I look forward to your comments.

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:39:01 PM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tony_Muldoon

Re: A pilgrimage to North Berwick!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 05:28:40 AM »
Great Report  James.  Sun shining, must have been a blast.

Where is the traditional picture of the Bass Rock gleaming? :D

That Map is most interesting because it shows the 16th green and ditch as it was. I.e. before it’s current green shape. This has been discussed on here before but that map is interesting as it shows in good quality the change from this

Change to

I’m not sure if the drawing is the same as the one reproduced in the various histories but it shows much greater detail (I’ll check tonight).  Further proof it’s Architecture and not a natural found feature.

Anyone know when Hutchinson was there?

Let's make GCA grate again!

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »
James, sweet photos..thanks so much!
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 12:23:47 PM »
Terrific tour.

A couple of comments:

1.  The greenside bunkers on 12 seem to destroy the strategic interest Doak talked about in his book (I think it was Anatomy of a Golf Course).  I thought the green favored an approach from close to the bunker but your picture seems to indicate otherwise:

2.  The bunkers next to the wall on 13 were not there when I played the course.  It is unclear to me whether they add anything given that the choice off the tee has always been whether to hug the wall for a better angle or play away from it.  What do people think of this change?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 12:26:32 PM »
Excellent photos and commentary, James.  Vis a vis the 2nd, your friend's line is indeed a favoured one, but you have to get your distance control right (as he did) lest you end up in one of the shallow tidal pools.

Tony

Major Hutchinson was there in 1932 to extend out to what is now the 9th and 10th, but as I mention in the new World Atlas of Golf, his holes were turned into a bombing range in WWII and the holes played today were completely reconstructed afterwards only partly to his plans.

Rich

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 05:41:55 PM »

2.  The bunkers next to the wall on 13 were not there when I played the course.  It is unclear to me whether they add anything given that the choice off the tee has always been whether to hug the wall for a better angle or play away from it.  What do people think of this change?

That's an interesting point.  From my memory there was only one bunker there?

Rich I was reffering not to the Major, but to the shopkeeper.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:44:25 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 05:49:53 PM »
Excellent photos and commentary, James.  Vis a vis the 2nd, your friend's line is indeed a favoured one, but you have to get your distance control right (as he did) lest you end up in one of the shallow tidal pools.

I played the second hole the same way the first time I played there in 2004, en route to Painswick.  It's a lot easier off the sand, I recall hitting driver - six iron.  Every other time I've played the hole I've gone left and it's two woods from over there.

James, great photo tour.  Gotta love the way the Bass Rock keeps popping into view!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:29:55 PM »
Awesome photo tour.  All my pics are pre-digital, so it's great to have these.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »
James,

Brilliant photo tour - and what a day for your round!

The lovely rumples, natural mounding and stone walls throughout the course are just spectacular.

I love how many of the courses in the UK have wee burns running in front of greens and across fairways. Unlike at many courses in the states where they seem so contrived, these just meander across the land splitting up short grass from green, or fairway from fairway with a very clean look. I think it is much more natural and penal of course because there is little to no rought that will stop your ball from wandering in.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »
As per Alan Jackson;

Strath 1876-78
Dunn  1888-89
Anderson  1889-1892
Hunter  1892-94
Hutchison  1904  (1894-1904??)
Sayers    1905-1931
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 01:58:11 AM »
Brilliant photos and tour is right.

Very similar too....
This gentleman, Rihc, also made a par from there:

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

SPDB

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 10:52:50 AM »
A question I've always meant to ask but haven't -

What is the history of the green that sits in between the 8th and 11th holes, just behind the 12th tee?

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »
Glad you all like the photos. Thanks for your comments. It was a stunning day, certainly helped by taking the money off my brother!

Just looking through Mr Doaks Confidential Guide and he mentions that only a mother could love the first, so to go against his opinion probably devalues mine around here  ;D As I said before, he also mentions the 12th and the simplicity of its design. Looking at the aerial photo on Live Maps it appears to be as it was when Tom described it. A fairway bunker on each side and the closer you get to the left one, on the corner of the dogleg, the easier the shot in as the greenside bunker is to the right. The cluster of bunkers on the corner don't make much difference but the new bunker short left certainly completly changes the strategy of the hole. Anyone know who did the recent work? As an extra note, there is one fairway bunker left of the 13th on the earial, rather than the two that are there now.

I'm no expert with regards to SPDB's question, but the aerials also made me wonder if the large practice green behind the 12th tee, is the old 10th green as seen on the old map I posted? I'll try and post an aerial tomorrow.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 10:58:27 PM »
James:

I did not look at your thread at first, because I know the golf course very well and figured I would not learn much new, but I had never seen the pre-1932 map of the course (only Darwin's pre-1932 description), so that part is fascinating to me.  It shows very clearly that #16 was not the "Biarritz" green, and that they used to play #17 back to what is now part of the first green.  I had no idea that the sixth was originally a double green, nor that The Pit was only 250 yards to begin with.  The changes made to #12 and #13 as part of the course lengthening were quite an improvement.

I suspect you are right that the "practice" green out near the far end of the links is one of those old original greens ... that would be very much the Scots way.

As for the bunkers on #12 and #13, some of them were being added around the time my crew was living in North Berwick and building The Renaissance Club.  We'd have helped them for free if they'd asked ... but we might not have agreed to put them where they wanted them.  I am not sure that the bunker short left completely changes the strategy of #12, you still would rather come in from the left than deal with the tilt of the green from right to left after a wide-right tee shot; but by the same token I am not sure any of the bunkers really improve the holes.  And I wonder who the heck is making the decision to make changes out there?

James Boon

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 08:37:18 AM »
Here is an extract of the aerial photo showing where the practice green is and also the old bunkering to the 12th.

From this I'm not sure if the whole of the practice green was the old 10th, maybe just the western end of it? Also, it hopefully helps highlight the simplicity of the design, and if you look back at the photo of the 12th green, you can just see the right to left slope, off the back of the short right bunker. So though its the only way I've played the hole, I agree with you Tom, that it doesn't seem like the new bunkers have added anything to the hole?

Also looking at the old map I noticed that the current cross bunker on 17 used to be one of the paths down to the beach. And also looking at the "explanation" there is no mention of par (or bogey) for any of the holes, perhaps showing us that these older courses really aren't about par at all, and also the total yardage is listed in miles and yards!

Cheers,

James

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 08:51:50 AM »

James,

Thank You!! Excellent!! Shame on me for not taking the pilgrimage sooner. NB is how golf is ment to be.

Anthony

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 05:54:02 PM »
Ohhh Yeeess.  Very fine indeed James!

I knew of all the little tid bits about how the course was except one.  Look at the tee for #1.  Its well left of where it is now and practically in front of the clubhouse.  Also, I had assumed that the shared 1/17 green was played the other way.  #1 to the front of the green and #17 to the rear of the green.  Finally, has the 18th green been pushed back?  The map below would seem to suggest so.

I still think the course is better off with combining the 1st and 17th greens (perhaps slightly reduced in size) and making the 1st a par 3. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:16:35 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brent Carlson

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 12:46:26 AM »
James,

Phenominal.  What a day to play the course - blue skies - ahh.  A true links that every golfer must experience.  It's nice to see the clubhouse back in shape. 

Is the East Course related to the West in any way?  I've been told it's not as good as the West but not many courses are.

Thanks for the pics James.

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 03:04:19 AM »

I also noticed a few things on this map.  First, there is a wee mound on #15 called Redan short of the green.  I wonderwhat the significance of this is. 

Second, the tees for #s 4 & 15 aren't shared.  They are in totally different places.  It looks like the 4th was moved to join the 15th.  Furthermore, it looks as if the the 15th tee was pushed to the far right end of the tee with the 4th taking the position of the 15th shown on the map - slightly altering the angle of the 15th tee shot to bring the left bunker into play more.   

Third, it looks as if the 3rd green is hard against a wall with a dune protecting the front side - forming a bowl type green. 

Tony, do you have the entire map you can post in total and in manageable sections like this section?

Ciao

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:07:29 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 03:35:03 AM »
Sean,

You think that's a mound called Redan?  It looks to me like a bunker, since it appears to have been shaded in like the areas called Duffers, Kaimend and Lamb and unlike Middle, Rocky and Hillside.

Mark

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 03:39:42 AM »
There are a lot of interesting tidbits on that map... But one of the most interesting to me is that the current Childrens Course was once the Ladies Links.

The Childrens Course is THE best pitch and putt I have ever come across. It is to North Berwick what the Himalayas putting green is to St Andrews.... Beg, steal or borrow a child to get on it because you won't get a game without one...

James Boon

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 03:46:32 AM »
Sean,

Looks like a bunker to me as well, but I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time!)

And the 3rd green is still pretty close to the stone wall to the right, and I think the dune trap front right, probably became the current bunker there.

I love the way that from an old map like this you can see that what was probably a natural feature like that dune, has become the bunker that we play today. Same in the case of the path to the beach across the 17th as I mentioned earlier, and it looks to be a similar case on the map, with the 2nd green and its front right bunker?

Cheers,

James

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 03:49:49 AM »
Sean,

You think that's a mound called Redan?  It looks to me like a bunker, since it appears to have been shaded in like the areas called Duffers, Kaimend and Lamb and unlike Middle, Rocky and Hillside.

Mark

Mark

You are probably right.  

A few other weird deals.  

The second green appears to be behind a road leading to a dune ridge.  

Look at #16 green, a ditch is nearby which presumably would have caught karooms off the plateau green.  Do folks think that single plateau is the current back portion of the green?

I want to see the entire map.

Ciao

James Boon

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 04:03:01 AM »
Sean,

Are the four sections of the map in my original post not enough for you or have I misread?

;D

James

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 04:15:56 AM »
Sean,

Are the four sections of the map in my original post not enough for you or have I misread?

;D

James

James

Interesting, my screen doesn't show the sections as you describe.  I can see two sections from later posts.  Could you post the map as one piece and perhaps the two sections which I can't see - presumably of the far side of the lnks and maybe the 1 & 18?

Ciao

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back