News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Paul Lawrie banned from his club...
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

TEPaul

Re: Paul Lawrie banned from his club...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:40:29 PM »
Steve:

If you ask me the real snake in the grass in this whole situation has got to be the old flask and all the way around---with Kenny, the super, with Paul Lawrie, the Open Champ, with the club owners et al-----the whole sheebang! Only problem is the old bottle doesn't apologize, it just sits there the next day and says: "Go ahead sucker, try me again to see if you will ever win a battle with old John Barleycorn!"

Sam Maryland

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:47:53 PM »
Wow, that's a shame.  I only know two people that know Lawrie well and they say very good things about him.  Too bad it got into the public domain.  Guess the greenskeeper will have to apologize about his comments on Paul's playing ability if they are really going to set it all straight.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:01:02 PM »
The article is vague on what the criticism were of the greens.  It would be interesting to know.

Kenny's reply was low. He must've pressed the issue with the owners at al. Which seems awfully petty.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Damon Groves

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 11:32:35 PM »
for critical comments about the greens:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Out-of-bounds--Open.5259734.jp

The club needs to get over it. If they are as great as they think they are then they should be able to withstand a little criticism.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 12:27:41 AM »
for critical comments about the greens:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Out-of-bounds--Open.5259734.jp

The club needs to get over it. If they are as great as they think they are then they should be able to withstand a little criticism.

Chopper says the greenskeeper needs to harden up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EY7lYRneHc

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:52:48 AM »
Am I missing something, or did he get punted for sending one text criticising the greens?
And they want him to apologise to them?

Mark_F

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 04:15:43 AM »
Perhaps Lawrie sent the text whilst he was actually on the course. 

Glad to see that Open champions aren't treated any differently at one of Scotland's Finest Golf Clubs than the ordinary members.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:35:15 AM »
As I say to my kids there are always 3 sides to a story.  His, Hers and the truth!

It is the content of the text that has irritated the club.  This has not come out in the press and I don't think it should either. 

I can vouch for Kenny Harper as being one of the best Supers in Scotland.  He loves his work and is very proud of the course.  It is a difficult course to look after in the Spring but around late May or June time he has it always looking superb.

The course was designed by my partner Graeme Webster before I met him and can be viewed here:

www.meldrumhousegolf.co.uk

It is a fun and challenging inland course that no one knows about as it is private.  The practice area is superb and one can spend hours on the chipping and pitching area.

Brian.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:48:31 AM by Brian Phillips »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 04:38:42 AM »
That's Aberdonians for you... First they blow up MacKenzie's course at Hazlehead and now this!... I should know... I'm one of them....

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 05:15:22 AM »
Interesting to see they haven't rushed to remove from their website the mentions of/plugs from Lawrie.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »
Why anyone would get bothered about being banned from Meldrum House is beyond me .

Pauls side here :
http://www.paullawrie.com/paullawrie/blog.aspx

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:59:26 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Brian Phillips

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »
Why anyone would get bothered about being banned from Meldrum House is beyond me .

Pauls side here :
http://www.paullawrie.com/paullawrie/blog.aspx

Because it is a nice inland golf course with some good holes and a very, very good practice range, chipping and pitching area.  It is in a nice secluded area and the clubhouse is the perfect size for what the club is, a quiet private golf course that doesn't 'normally' get in the press as it doesn't seek to.

I didn't design any of it with Graeme but I really do enjoy playing there and being there.  I love staying at the hotel with it's small whisky bar and supposed 'ghost'.

Have you played it a lot Brian?

Cheers.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Scott Coan

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 01:28:16 PM »
His specific words from his blog...  The club looks quite silly for letting this get so far!

My phone has been red hot with messages of support over the Meldrum situation, apparently they want me to  apologize......apologize for what?   The conversation I had in the pro shop lasted 20 seconds, was not heated and I merely asked why the greens were poor.   My text to Kenny Harper was banter to which he replied with some banter of his own, which I thought was really funny.   To be told not to return is incredible but it will not harm my career one bit.   I would like to thank everyone for their messages of support which have come from all over Scotland...from Edinburgh right up to Dornoch.   No apology will be made and as long as I have breath in my body I will not set foot on Meldrum House soil again.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 02:26:40 PM »
Brian
Considering I live and play golf in Scotland , do you really think I enjoy golf courses that are "nice" , that have "very, very good practice range, chipping and pitching areas" , with clubhouses that are " perfect size for what the club is" ?

To answer your question , I have played it twice , and .....erm ...  :-X

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »
F*ck it .........Meldrum House stands for everything I hate about modern day golf in Scotland .

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 02:53:03 PM »
It is ... a quiet private golf course that doesn't 'normally' get in the press as it doesn't seek to.

If staying out of the press is its MO, the club might need a new communications manager ;D

Carl Johnson

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 08:59:15 PM »
Very strange . . . but interesting to see how gentlemen golfers settle things these days.

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 09:54:43 AM »
Lawrie ended the week well. Hole-in-one at the Irish Open to win a new Audi! ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 08:27:11 PM »
Seems to me that the punishment here does not fit the crime, unless this was a multi-repeat offense.

This is really about treatment of the employees, and most clubs won't tolerate members berating employees - for example, a member berating a waitress for crappy service.  A member ought not do that.  And a club ought not tolerate it.  But when it happens, it's usually a suspension and a probation period, at least for a first offense.

Jesus, if every member who ever said "these greens are crappy" gets kicked out of the club, there won't be any members left anywhere!

There are also clubs where the staff runs things.  I belonged to one that I moved away from 15 years ago and never missed.  Could that be the case here?

DMoriarty

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 08:29:06 PM »
Lawrie ended the week well. Hole-in-one at the Irish Open to win a new Audi! ;D

If he criticizes the ride, will they take it away from him?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back