News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Csigo

Re: Kings Putter 2010
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2009, 03:24:02 PM »
Gray,

My internet gets turned off today for my move.  I'll have to bum at a friend from my squadron's house so I can complete your task.  As for Mr. Kiser (the wingman); it's more proper in aviation speak to reply to any transmission you make..."two".  Not "wingman".  

As for venue's.  I know you've all done a KP at Pasatiempo.  But it's really great.  And I think Urbina fully finished the bunker redo since you've all played the KP there. Of course, the OC and Cypress aren't bad either I'm told. ;D

Hmmmm.. pretty darn cheeky for a newbie not yet attender to be suggesting venues!

;D ;D

Just kidding.  It's all good.  Of course Pasa works and there is the full restoration to see, but we've been there twice already.  And if you have a way to get approximately 40 guys on Olympic and Cypress for a weekend, I'm sure Kyle and Patrick will be all ears.

;)

Have we ever had east coasters for this?  Sure we have... back in the day there was quite a bit of national representation... dare I mention the name of the great Geoffrey Childs?

I would very much like to bring back the east coast representation, bring some new blood and participate in this event if the dates work.  So, for now I'd like to say I'm tentative.  Being a newbie, I'm already starting to get that 'strange' look from the misses about my golfing excursions.  I just don't see the problem.  I'm just flying cross country to golf with a bunch of guys I met in a discussion group.  What's the big deal?!
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2009, 03:27:03 PM »
Ron:

As always with these things the more the merrier!  The whole NoCal/SoCal thing is more for organizational purposes than anything real.  Come on out!

And regarding how to explain this to wives/significant others... well.... did you all know you were "writers/architects/important people in golf it really does me good to meet"?

Well you are, to my wife.

;D

Carl Nichols

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2009, 04:19:15 PM »
3) do something to speed play, perhaps an ABCD scramble for one of the rounds.

Jon, Was there Slow Play at the KP by the GCAers? If so, I am shocked, shocked...

Slow went out the window on the 3rd tee at Rustic, and we moved into extreme crawl mode. Kind of like the salamander they're trying to save by not allowing golfers into the environmental areas. California is trying to save all the weeds they can.

Most shocking was the bulk of the players ignoring the architectural interest of this highly downwind 300 yard par 4, trying to drive the green, erstwhile discussing Gray's wardrobe and his mommy not showing up.

Was the slow play caused by KP participants or was the course just slow that day?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2009, 04:22:36 PM »
I can only speak for the Sunday round at Rustic Canyon (the only round I was there for).. that was just slow all around. Now I doubt the KP participants went any FASTER than the general public that day... but the first tee times were at 10:00am, joining a packed course.  There was only so fast anyone could go that round.

HOWEVER... reports of the time the rounds took on Monday - when there were no such excuses - are pretty disgraceful.  This is oddly not a fast group, however much we all complain about slow play.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »

Part of the reason for the slow play at Rustic was that I had no sunscreen and no shade from the cart and my nose caught on fire on the 13th tee box. It was either the pain from the UK guys from not walking or a skin graph for my nose. I have nice hair so a cap was out of the question.

Anthony

Richard Choi

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2009, 04:43:26 PM »
Being a newbie, I'm already starting to get that 'strange' look from the misses about my golfing excursions.  I just don't see the problem.  I'm just flying cross country to golf with a bunch of guys I met in a discussion group.  What's the big deal?!

That is quite normal for most of us here.

You should have seen the look my wife gave me when I told her that I was flying to Denver to play golf with people I met on-line.

She was like "WHAT???!!!" then after the acceptance, she wanted every minute details of the trip itinerary and phone numbers of all the places. She was pretty nervous until I got home safe and sound. :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:46:00 PM by Richard Choi »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2009, 04:52:13 PM »
Being a newbie, I'm already starting to get that 'strange' look from the misses about my golfing excursions.  I just don't see the problem.  I'm just flying cross country to golf with a bunch of guys I met in a discussion group.  What's the big deal?!

That is quite normal for most of us here.

You should have seen the look my wife gave me when I told her that I was flying to Denver to play golf with people I met on-line.

She was like "WHAT???!!!" then after the acceptance, she wanted every minute details of the trip itinerary and phone numbers of all the places. She was pretty nervous until I got home safe and sound. :)

I can see her point! Once she heard you were hooking up with John Kirk, she had to restrain herself from calling in the Red Cross, the National Guard, AAA, and every other organization known to render help to those in distress.

In Jordan's case his parents just get a lawyer to accompany him on these trips.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ash Towe

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2009, 04:54:39 PM »
You should see the reaction I got when I said we should go to New York for a holiday and play some golf with a person I met online.  We live in New Zealand!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
Kyle:

I humbly suggest the following lineup for next year's event:

Sharp Park
Lincoln Park
Harding Park

All of these have their fair share of architectural interest and quirk.
All of these are affordable and accessible without pulling favors from members.
It's supposed to be about the golf and about the people.

I know I never would have seen Painswick if not for a GCA event.  I would think the Southern Cal boys would learn a lot from the vagaries of the three public venues, and you might get to the heart of whether Sharp Park is worth restoring.  And, last but not least, it ought to be a pretty good home-park advantage for Nor Cal.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2009, 05:57:42 PM »
You should see the reaction I got when I said we should go to New York for a holiday and play some golf with a person I met online.  We live in New Zealand!!

If you got her to agree to that holiday, you are THE MAN!  

What's the flight time from New Zealand to NYC?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2009, 06:17:04 PM »
Kyle:

Sharp Park
Lincoln Park
Harding Park

I know I never would have seen Painswick if not for a GCA event.  I would think the Southern Cal boys would learn a lot from the vagaries of the three public venues, and you might get to the heart of whether Sharp Park is worth restoring.  And, last but not least, it ought to be a pretty good home-park advantage for Nor Cal.

If you could throw Cal Club or Olympic in with those muni's on a Mon. it might be worth the trip, but could you really justify a long trip for just the muni's alone? Harding, ok, but the conditioning and interest factor for Lincoln and Sharp are hard to justify. Maybe Gleneagles and the Presidio?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2009, 06:31:56 PM »
The secret is out! Anthony has been stealing John Daly's pants, cutting them to shorts, and hemming them up.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean Leary

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2009, 06:38:39 PM »
Kyle:

Sharp Park
Lincoln Park
Harding Park

If you could throw Cal Club or Olympic in with those muni's on a Mon. it might be worth the trip, but could you really justify a long trip for just the muni's alone? Harding, ok, but the conditioning and interest factor for Lincoln and Sharp are hard to justify. Maybe Gleneagles and the Presidio?

Tim,

For many, it isn't just about the courses you get "access " to.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 06:43:41 PM »

Sean,

I agree. Tim and I loved Sherwood.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 06:44:43 PM »
See picture above to see the shorts Anthony wore at Sherwood.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »
See picture above to see the shorts Anthony wore at Sherwood.

My face first and now my pants exposed on the site. What's next? Team basketball photo from The Institute of Mines and Technology.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 06:54:51 PM »
I can only speak for the Sunday round at Rustic Canyon (the only round I was there for).. that was just slow all around. Now I doubt the KP participants went any FASTER than the general public that day... but the first tee times were at 10:00am, joining a packed course.  There was only so fast anyone could go that round.

HOWEVER... reports of the time the rounds took on Monday - when there were no such excuses - are pretty disgraceful.  This is oddly not a fast group, however much we all complain about slow play.

Sherwood is not a course anyone is going to race around, lots of trouble and strife out there!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2009, 07:01:28 PM »
Tom Doak's SF idea is interesting in any case.  The downside is this:  group events on those SF munis are VERY VERY VERY hard to set up, particularly on weekends.  We'd also be guaranteed  5-6 hour rounds for each and every round.  Again this I know, from experience.

Tell ya what... YOU COME TO IT TOM and that's where we'll have it.

;D

TH

Tim Leahy

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2009, 07:12:24 PM »
Kyle:

Sharp Park
Lincoln Park
Harding Park

Tim,

For many, it isn't just about the courses you get "access " to.

Sean, apparently you weren't at the KP awards dinner at Sherwood when Tommy challenged the NoCal'ers to come up with a KP with courses as good as Sherwood and the three private courses in Palm Springs. Have you played Sharp or Lincoln lately? Would you invite an out of town guest to come play these courses?
I loved Santa Anita, Rustic and Soule and I played Santa Anita in December when there was no Sherwood draw, but can you compare Sharp and Lincoln to any of those?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ash Towe

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2009, 07:17:31 PM »
Ron,
We got a cheap flight and went via Sydney, San Francisco and Chicago.  All told with the stops about 20 hours.
It was worth it both financially and the wonderful experience we had in NY.

Tom Yost

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2009, 08:31:04 PM »
Tough for me to remain aligned with NORCAL team and also show my team sports allegiances...

But at KP I, I did just that.  Wore a Dodgers t-shirt underneath a Hawaiian shirt for one of the rounds.  It seemed right at the time.

;D

BTW I have no hard feelings for Padres or really any NL West team.  We tend to worry about teams that give us real competition. 

As a native Buckeye living in Arizona, my team affiliations should make it difficult to embrace anything SoCal (especially the Dodgers and Lakers).   But the way I see it for the KP, I'm a free agent, a mercenary.  It's just a job.    ;D

David_Elvins

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2009, 09:03:54 PM »
Of course Pasa works and there is the full restoration to see, but we've been there twice already. 
I can't see Kyle being psychologically ready to organise KP at Pasatiempo anytime soon.

;D Sorry Kyle, hope you are well, look forward to catching up with you again some time)
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 09:57:43 PM »
Thanks to Kyle and to Patrick for taking the reins so early. Let them do their own thing.
I've already met Kyle's mom. I'm always ready for a GCA event. Not even home from this year's KP (I'm in Grand Junction, C0).

FYI Richard Choi was gauging interest in an annual GCA outing at Bandon...and....

Anthony Gray has Socks 2010 at Bandon in August next year. http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38490.0.html

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:36:50 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Robert_Ball

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 11:30:22 PM »
Of course Pasa works and there is the full restoration to see, but we've been there twice already. 
I can't see Kyle being psychologically ready to organise KP at Pasatiempo anytime soon.

;D Sorry Kyle, hope you are well, look forward to catching up with you again some time)

"Body by Kyle" should've hit this shot close since he had already practiced the shot into 5 green....from 4 tee.   ;D

Way to step up guys!  One bit of advice.  Don't take advice from anyone.  Do your own thing and I'm sure it will be epic.   I'm already looking forward to it.

Robert

Rob Rigg

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 11:36:28 PM »
Maybe there can be a mini-KP at Bandon when OM opens, I think there will be enough GCA peeps there to justify it . . .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back