News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: Kings Putter 2010
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 11:50:54 AM »
Perhaps, as consolation, I will get an advance copy in the mail.  

No prob. All you have to do is get another ace... :)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 11:56:19 AM »

Back in 1967, whoever dreamed they'd get to Superbowl XLVIII?  ::)

Back in 1967 who would have thought we would have a president from Chicago?

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 12:18:15 PM »
Kyle and Patrick,

Big kudos to you guys for stepping up to the plate on this one.  I'm also available to do any grunt work if needed: phone calls, spreadsheets, harrassing folks, you name it.  ;)

I surely hope I can make 2010 as I was very bummed to miss this years especially in light of not seeing Big Bird (Garland) and Ernie (Anthony) being paired for so many rounds.   ;D

P.S. I can also head up the effort to convince Melyvn to make his 1st journey to the states.  We'll make sure to set aside half a day so he can play Lincoln Park and gawf "as it was meant to be".

Mike Benham

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 12:18:48 PM »
IN ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »
3) do something to speed play, perhaps an ABCD scramble for one of the rounds.

Jon, Was there Slow Play at the KP by the GCAers? If so, I am shocked, shocked...

Slow went out the window on the 3rd tee at Rustic, and we moved into extreme crawl mode. Kind of like the salamander they're trying to save by not allowing golfers into the environmental areas. California is trying to save all the weeds they can.

Most shocking was the bulk of the players ignoring the architectural interest of this highly downwind 300 yard par 4, trying to drive the green, erstwhile discussing Gray's wardrobe and his mommy not showing up.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Ben Sims

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 12:27:37 PM »
Gray,

As requested, Momma Sims will be in attendance at KP 2010 and should be dispensing sound golf architectural knowledge as well as fried chicken and sweet tea. 

As for me, I'll just be augmenting NorCal.  I'm in.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 12:36:17 PM »
Perhaps, as consolation, I will get an advance copy in the mail.  

No prob. All you have to do is get another ace... :)

Which is as likely as getting even a minimal return on my Microsoft investment, though I hear that such things come in threes.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 12:37:46 PM »
BTW...I know it's way early... but has SITE been thought of?  Of course this can be kept secret - and likely should - but I do have some ideas, if the organizers are interested.

And one thing past experience also shows is that it's easy for way early to become too late.

;D

Patrick Kiser

Re: Kings Putter 2010 New
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 12:40:09 PM »
Jon,

I knew you loved my brand spanking new vintage Twins Enterprise Padre hat.  It was the twinge in your eye and corner smerk that gave it away.  Got it just for those LA fans (e.g. TH, Tommy, and you?).  Even Pete L. who's a Boston Sox fan couldn't resist complementing me  ;) .

Tommy couldn't hold back his frustration for too long and around the 3rd or 4th hole at Rustic he gave me the business and his game went south from there.  All part of the plan  ;D .

Since you guys love this hat so much ... I've got a few with your names on it out the door.  Just IM me with your addresses.  Sorry ... one size fits all for this.

If TH dares to show up with an LA hat ... then I'll definitely bring the Pads cap.  Otherwise, I'll be wearing my NorCal hat.

Mike,

Damn it!  I thought IN meant OUT.  I'm totally confused now.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:16:01 AM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Anthony Gray

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 12:40:36 PM »
IN ...

I am so disapointed in you Mike!!

Anthony

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
Tough for me to remain aligned with NORCAL team and also show my team sports allegiances...

But at KP I, I did just that.  Wore a Dodgers t-shirt underneath a Hawaiian shirt for one of the rounds.  It seemed right at the time.

;D

BTW I have no hard feelings for Padres or really any NL West team.  We tend to worry about teams that give us real competition. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 12:43:19 PM »
Gray,

As requested, Momma Sims will be in attendance at KP 2010 and should be dispensing sound golf architectural knowledge as well as fried chicken and sweet tea. 

As for me, I'll just be augmenting NorCal.  I'm in.

64 posts in two days and his MOM is coming to the KP. What's not to love about this guy. Welcome again Ben. I even bet you have several pairs of orange golfing pants in your closet.

Anthony

Rob Rigg

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 12:49:01 PM »
Kyle,

I know you'll keep it walkable - I'm a strong tentative in!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 12:53:04 PM »
We tend to worry about teams that give us real competition. 

Touché...
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Ron Csigo

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »
Have you ever had an attendee from NY/NJ for the Kings Putter?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Ben Sims

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 01:02:17 PM »
Gray,

My internet gets turned off today for my move.  I'll have to bum at a friend from my squadron's house so I can complete your task.  As for Mr. Kiser (the wingman); it's more proper in aviation speak to reply to any transmission you make..."two".  Not "wingman".  

As for venue's.  I know you've all done a KP at Pasatiempo.  But it's really great.  And I think Urbina fully finished the bunker redo since you've all played the KP there. Of course, the OC and Cypress aren't bad either I'm told. ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 01:15:56 PM »
Gray,

My internet gets turned off today for my move.  I'll have to bum at a friend from my squadron's house so I can complete your task.  As for Mr. Kiser (the wingman); it's more proper in aviation speak to reply to any transmission you make..."two".  Not "wingman".  

As for venue's.  I know you've all done a KP at Pasatiempo.  But it's really great.  And I think Urbina fully finished the bunker redo since you've all played the KP there. Of course, the OC and Cypress aren't bad either I'm told. ;D

Hmmmm.. pretty darn cheeky for a newbie not yet attender to be suggesting venues!

;D ;D

Just kidding.  It's all good.  Of course Pasa works and there is the full restoration to see, but we've been there twice already.  And if you have a way to get approximately 40 guys on Olympic and Cypress for a weekend, I'm sure Kyle and Patrick will be all ears.

;)

Have we ever had east coasters for this?  Sure we have... back in the day there was quite a bit of national representation... dare I mention the name of the great Geoffrey Childs?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 01:35:17 PM »

Before the next KP I want Kyle tested for "the cream and the clear" because I don't think that was was sunscreen in that BALCO bottle. And I want Garland tested for the bird flu.

Anthony

Ben Sims

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 01:52:42 PM »
Mr. Huckaby,

I seem to remember that word, cheeky, from my deployment to England last year.  Now I know those girls at the bar were DEFINITELY talking about me...damn!

I didn't mean to be barking venues.  I was just putting in my two cents for Pasa.  I asked my father-in-law for his daughters hand in marriage on the back veranda of The Tap Room.  So I hold that course in high esteem. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »
Mr. Huckaby,

I seem to remember that word, cheeky, from my deployment to England last year.  Now I know those girls at the bar were DEFINITELY talking about me...damn!

I didn't mean to be barking venues.  I was just putting in my two cents for Pasa.  I asked my father-in-law for his daughters hand in marriage on the back veranda of The Tap Room.  So I hold that course in high esteem. 

Well I was born in Los Angeles and now live in San Jose, so cheeky is not a term I often use.  It just seemed appropriate here.
 ;D

As I say, it's all good.  And given your history with Pasatiempo, well I believe I have found the first participant here who holds it in HIGHER esteem than I do.  I have a very very strong love for that course that goes way back. 

So it's not for lack of esteem for the course that I responded as I did... more that we have done this event twice there as it is (as I say) and that well... having organized this several times myself in the past... well.. there is more that goes into this beyond quality of course.  For one, outside of some inside help, groups can't go off on weekends before 11am (and even with that help it's dubious one kicks the members off the morning on a fine spring day).  That rather hurts the logistics.  It's also darn expensive now, far more so than traditionally this event has been geared to (courses that are great but also inexpensive).

All this being said, if the boys did set this up for Pasatiempo and managed the logistics, I doubt anyone would complain. Just knowing a the history as I do, and having done events there for this and other friends... well... I wouldn't suggest the boys even try.

But as I say also, you had no way of knowing any of this, so no hassles man.

;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2009, 02:05:33 PM »
Mr. Huckaby,

Ben,

I'm a veteren to the site and have been posting for a L O N G time. Not sure but I might have been one of the original members....so make all the suggestions you can. If people complain just tell them you know me. As for Pastime I would love to play it. I got engaged at Pebble Beach one time so Pasatiempo and Pebble Beach would make wonderful venues for the KP, I just don't want to here "Throw Mamma from the Clff" references from Garland.

Post on young man ... POST!!!

Anthony

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:07:05 PM by Anthony Gray »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »
Never suggested he shouldn't post, Anthony.  And I did mean this all in a very light-hearted spririt.  I was surely not complaining about anything Ben wrote.

The history of the event is just helpful to keep in mind when suggestions are given, and the realities of courses just do remain well.... real....

So... these things must be kept in mind lest undue pressure - and later crap - fall upon the organizers for not acting on some suggestions.  You can guess why I'd say this.

;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2009, 02:15:21 PM »
If this becomes a mom's tournament, then I'm out.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2009, 02:16:05 PM »
Never suggested he shouldn't post, Anthony.  And I did mean this all in a very light-hearted spririt.  I was surely not complaining about anything Ben wrote.

The realities of courses just do remain well.... real.... and this must be kept in mind lest undue pressure - and later crap - fall upon the organizers.

;)

Tom,

We all know your post was playful.  Everyone knows I'm the only one that is discouraged from posting. ::)
  Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2009, 02:18:57 PM »
If this becomes a mom's tournament, then I'm out.

I think a mother-son KP is way overdue. If Lynn can bring his child than Momma Sims can bring hers.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back