News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Smolens

Re: Tom Doak and his bunker style
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »
Anyone else wondering if we all have too much time on our hands to be debating the name of the roadrunner's arch nemesis  ???  Mr. Doak gets the prize, however.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »

PCCraig

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »
I would say at Lost Dunes the most interesting thing about the fairway bunkers is that they mostly add to the visual experience and many times are not really in play with anything but a poorly struck drive. (Mind you I have only played the tips and even still I'm not the longest hitter in the world, but not the shortest either).

Perhaps a good example of this is 7, with the (very cool) bunker off the tee making the hole look tighter than the gigantic fairway behind it would let you believe. And the tee shot on 12 with the two huge bunkers framing the landing area and laying out the strategy of the hole.
H.P.S.

DMoriarty

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »
David M:  I would not be likely to turn to "geometric" bunkering because I am a big believer that a golf course ought to look like it belongs in the landscape.  Fewer bunkers, yes; simpler bunkers, maybe.  I am really out to build good golf courses more than I'm out to prove any particular point.

Makes sense.  If I was building a course (having one built) I'd want the same thing.   

However, I have been thinking that someday when we get a really blank-slate site (whether it's just flat or industrial or something), that I would love to build a course that doesn't look much like a golf course at all, but plays like one.  I would likely need to collaborate on that with a landscape architect who doesn't play too much golf, so I can be the "shot values and strategy" guy.

This is perhaps a bit more what I had in mind with the question.   This would be very interesting, especially if the course was really a kick to play.   I have a hard time imagining the developer who lets you do it though.   

The feature I have always found most interesting about the bunkers built by TD's crew and a few others is that the inside of the bunkers are actually contoured to the land, so that the inside of the bunker will have internal slopes and movement.   IMO this not only blends better and makes the bunker feel more natural, it also provides for more interesting bunker shots.   

Is this feature found in many golden age courses?   If so which ones and by whom?   Or is it a more modern contribution to quality gca?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 02:29:29 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

DMoriarty

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »
whoops.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back