News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RichMacafee

K.Heath 4th Hole - Masters version
« on: April 23, 2009, 12:41:52 AM »
For the Australian Masters this year at K.Heath the 10th hole will be out of play unfortunately for reasons of traffic movement, which means Mike Clayton's 19th hole will be in play (as the 11th).

What this has allowed is for the 4th tee to be moved back on to what is currently the 10th tee. The small hut next to the 10th tee has been removed (it was due to go soon anyway) so the 'new' hole is now visible.

The 4th is probably KH's weakest hole. A dead straight hole of 357m, it has no pretection against the length of todays pros and has become a drive and pitch hole, with the hazards only in play on extreme North wind days. However, as Mike has pointed out before, architecturally it is a very pure hole with a fantastic green - IF you are hitting anything more than a 9 iron into it.

The hole for the Masters will have the following approx. measurements:

387m total. 210m to carry the short bunkers left that are currently not in play. 253m to reach the left hand fairway bunker and 270m to carry it. It will be 260m to reach the couch rough on the right hand side mounds, which will hopefully be long enough to be a deterrent by November.

I played it yesterday from the 10th tee and it is a good hole with 3 genuine options off the tee. Driver bombed brings bunkers left and rough right into play if not accurate. The safer and smart play will be 3 wood left half just short of the fairway bunkers, opening up the angle to the green, which will be firm and fast. The 'bail out' option will be 2-iron down the wider right half, making an approach more difficult to the firm green.

Pic from the 10th tee below (with current 4th tee in foreground), and an image of the current hole from the yardage book.

"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Kevin Pallier

Re: K.Heath 4th Hole - Masters version
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 03:47:10 AM »
Richard

From those pics - shades of the 18th at Augusta perhaps - without the elevation change ?  :D

The thing that amzes me about KH is that they can always make progressive "alterations" without disturbing the purity of the course.

As standalone holes I prefer the 10th over the 19th but they are losing not too much re: same and from what on the face of it seems - gaining a "better" hole in the stretched 4th for the Tournament.

13 runs around what 320m ? and I suggest will have the lack of "sameness" feel now as it currently stands re: 4.

Kudos to all involved.

Matt Day

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 04:44:17 AM »
what a shame the 10th is out of play, one of the most enjoyable par 3 holes I've played.

When I had a hit last year 4 was out of play for bunker work from memory?

Anthony Butler

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:04:16 AM »
what a shame the 10th is out of play, one of the most enjoyable par 3 holes I've played.

When I had a hit last year 4 was out of play for bunker work from memory?

KH #10 is an overlooked par 3 given the reputation of the 15th.  Put the pin up the back in the narrow part of the green with any sort of wind and it can be a very tricky hole.

There is a lot going on in that area of the course just past the clubhouse. I imagine it would be very difficult to manage Tiger's gallery with the course playing in the usual configuration. Does this also explain why they are reversing the nines? The area around the ninth fairway and green can sustain a larger crowd than the current 18th?
Next!

Philippe Binette

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 11:07:27 AM »
Sad to eliminate the 10th for the tournament... but Kingston Heath is such a tight property, not really crowd friendly and with Tiger in the field, there is going to be big crowds

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 11:09:56 AM »
Losing the 10th is unfortunate, but Clayton's 19th is no slouch.

RichMacafee

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 06:25:32 PM »

Does this also explain why they are reversing the nines? The area around the ninth fairway and green can sustain a larger crowd than the current 18th?

Anthony, I you may be thinking about the 6th fairway and green. The 9th hole is tree lined and out in the middle of the property. The 6th will be the 9th for the Masters .

The main reason for changing the hole order is for a two tee start, as we don't have returning nines. The current 7th hole will be played as the 1st hole, which maintains the strong finish of 15-18 as the finishing holes.

The 1st will be the 10th for the Masters.

For those interested the hole order will be:

7,8,9,11,2,3,4,5,6 - 36
1,19,12,13,14,15,16,17,18 - 36

It is definitely disappointing to not be playing the great 10th hole in a major event, but with the expected crowd sizes it was one of the 'non-negotiables'.
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 08:30:28 PM »

A Claytons 19th has a nice ring to it - I suggest he trademark same  ;D

Richard

How often have you played the "Tournament" routing ? What does it feel like ? The B9 is virtually the same so I'd be interested to hear what the F9 plays like ?

RichMacafee

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »

A Claytons 19th has a nice ring to it - I suggest he trademark same  ;D

Richard

How often have you played the "Tournament" routing ? What does it feel like ? The B9 is virtually the same so I'd be interested to hear what the F9 plays like ?

Kevin,

The members play the course with returning 9's every Wednesday (it's actually 10 and 8 with the 19th out of play) so as to get a 2 tee start for the midweek comp. This has been happening for about 3 years now.

It works just fine and is well balanced with par 3's and 5's, however when you have been playing the course one way for 25 it still doesn't feel 'right'. You would get a more objective opinion from those who don't play the course much I would suspect.

I play most Wednesdays, and I prefer hitting off the 7th tee (like they will in the Masters), mainly for 2 reasons. It keeps the 'traditional' finish of 12-18, and it allows the previews of pin positions on 17, 13, 2, 16.

It will be good for those watching on TV to have the correct hole numbers for the last 7 holes of the event

Anthony Butler

Re: Clayton's 19th
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 02:07:42 PM »

According to the old advertisement starring Rex "The Moose" Mossop, a Clayton's 19th would be the golf hole you're playing when you're not playing golf. Having played golf with the Moose a couple of times at Manly, he's the golf partner you should have when you're not playing golf.

Still the only person I've seen toss his putter when he missed one on the practice green.

Rich–Have not played in Weds. comp at KH so that order is unfamiliar to me... I was thinking of the 6th hole, which comes back up to the clubhouse next to #1.

Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back