News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re: Why does gorse get a pass?
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2009, 03:55:24 PM »
Doug:

I last played Dunluce about four years ago. I'm glad to hear matters have changed. The issue is how much change. You say it's "nothing like I say." Really?

There are people who have weighed in concerning the extreme narrowness of the driving corridors at the facility and then having hay-like rough just a few steps off from the fairways. If the folks there have softened the rough and provided for a bit more width more power to them.

Dunluce is such a fine layout that it need not protect itself through the insertion of such hay-like rough and the like. Ditto any other course of such standing.

Doug Wright

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2009, 05:24:46 PM »
Doug:

I last played Dunluce about four years ago. I'm glad to hear matters have changed. The issue is how much change. You say it's "nothing like I say." Really?

There are people who have weighed in concerning the extreme narrowness of the driving corridors at the facility and then having hay-like rough just a few steps off from the fairways. If the folks there have softened the rough and provided for a bit more width more power to them.

Dunluce is such a fine layout that it need not protect itself through the insertion of such hay-like rough and the like. Ditto any other course of such standing.

Yes Matt IMO it's nothing like you say based on my visit last September. 
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2009, 03:13:29 AM »
Has anyone ever ADDED gorse to a course, like trees have so often been added, e.g., Talking Stick South?
We have planted around 1000 plants per year over the last 5 years. I buy from Alba trees in scotland as a plug, costs around 30p each, within about 4-5 years it is quite a plant. At the moment in bloom they look lovely. More recently I have added Broom too. I have not found it too invasive.

Adrian,

Whats your course and whats the purpose of the gorse ? Are you planting it in out of play areas or are you putting it in where it might provide a penalty ?

BTW, just played a medal this morning at Gailes and lost a ball in the gorse at the 16th when I was going along quite nicely.

Niall
Niall- Both out of play and in play. A lot of our back tees now drive over gorse or scrubby stuff. We have redeveloped many of the bunkers allowing the long grasses to do their thing, we also have added gorse plugs and broom too. I have been doing it for about 3 years now so now have some that look pretty established, we have moved away from the neat and tidy bunker edged to a more 'begged out thirties' look. Just added another 18 holes as well and we will do the same thing although the widths will be wider.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Niall C

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2009, 12:29:35 PM »
Niall:

The issue I have is that there were a few courses on my last visit to the UK and Ireland that were way too narrow -- that the gap between fairway and then the hay-like rough / gorse was encroaching upon the architecture to the point where drives had to be predictably archer-like straight with little in regards to playing angles.

You mention "adaption." That's fine. How bout the facilities realize that people playing such courses need more of a corridor than a single line road to play?

The issue is that width needs to be added to these courses -- alllow people to play recovery shots because hitting SW's laterally back out onto the fairway is the equivalent of hitting the shot into H20 or even OB.

Architecture needs to "tempt" the player at times. It makes no sense to have a wonderful design -- as in the case of Dunluce at Portrush and have hay-like rough / gorse no more than a few paces from where the fairway is. A bit more thought on how to elevate the architecture -- rather than the sheer torture would help these courses really shine even more brightly in my mind.

Matt,

I actually agree with a lot of what you say. There is nothing worse than a course that consistently doesn't give you the chance to play a recovery shot. The course I've not long joined not only has gorse but also heather flanking both sides of every hole. When the heather is in full bloom it is hard enough to find your ball never mind get it out in one stroke. i played in the medal last saturday and had to take a drop when my ball went a couple of feet in. Also as the holes largely play straight ahead it does feel claustrophobic at times with the need to play down a narrow corridor. As you say, you want to be tempted at times and to have an option which unfortunately this course doesn't really offer.

In my experience however very few links courses play the way that I have described the course above (which is not to say they are easy, particularly in a wind). I would respectfully suggest that if you were more experienced playing the types of courses you mention (and from your mention of Portmarnock and Portrush I assume that you were mainly playing links) you would have a better idea how to guage the hazard and then play appropriately. If that means taking an iron instead of a wood then so be it. What you've got to bear in mind is that on these types of courses the planting plays a large part in the strategy.

Where I absolutely can't agree with you is thought of adapting the course to suit your game. As I suggested in my earlier post, these course get plenty of regular play from the locals who have presumably adapted their games to suit rather than the other way round.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »
Adrian,

Interesting stuff. Are you mapping where you've planted for future reference ? It would be interesting to see how the gorse spreads over 5 yearly intervals. Also it would be handy to show to members so they know what the original intent was in the planting. I'm sure you know better than I do about how members can become precious about "nice" looking bushes and trees.

BTW - you didn't say what your course is ?

Niall

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »
Niall- The Players Club. www.theplayersgolfclub.com
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back