News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

Re: The Best Golf City in US?
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2009, 11:28:23 PM »
Agreed Adam.....although Shoreacres and Medinah are pretty great..

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2009, 09:31:19 PM »
Niall, forgot (2) addit' Cols Private: Palmer-----Tartan Fields;R.T.Jones,Sr----(Old)Winding Hollow/Champions,Raymond Memorial(Public). I've visited Monterey/S.Francisco, Ireland(x2), Scotland and enjoyed their outstanding Venues; however, (3) of my Top 10 are Cols, with #1 Muirfield Village!I do not understand the Negative comments attached to this Special course and J.Nicklaus!!I'd be surprised if these individuals played and experienced It's many subtleties-----be very interested to learn their real scores?The mention of course/establishment/year negative relevancy is absurd.                                                                                                                   

If Champions were maintained properly, it would be awesome. Great golf course.

I actually squeezed in 9 at Raymond Memorial this morning. The course is quite compact and built upon a boring parcel of land..... A few nice holes, a good course for a muni and typical Jones Sr.  Nice greens, regular old blue grass fairways. A fun walk and not overly difficult at all. I wish we had something similar in Cincinnati.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:39:24 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Tim Rooney

« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2009, 10:55:35 AM »
Rich, Raymond was a replacement for a Cols Lido/Ross(aka. Wyandott,Old Elks).Jack Kidwell confirmed the following----with the Elks decline, the course was privately purchased(1950) and Wyandott was subsequently offered to the city of Cols/$200K,whereas city declined as 'Too Much Money'.Raymond was built within (2) years for $600k.RTJ,Sr. incorporated Bk nine par 3's with parallel holes to improve speed of play---unfortunately, this feature was considered a failure.The above Architect(JK) and my Father both stated the 'O.Elks' superiority to Scioto.Raymond is open 24/7 most days with a very inexpensive rate.I totally agree Champions is excellent;however, Tartan East(aka.Winding Hollow 2) the better Cols public.The most  recent rumor insinuates Champions closure. I suggest Cincy public/superior(Sharon Woods, G.Norman course,etc.)?   

JLahrman

« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »
I cannot freaking believe that Raymond Memorial now has a photo essay on GCA.  Is nothing sacred?  There are actually a lot of courses that I'd prefer to play less than Raymond.

Rich, in Cincinnati would Royal St. Reeves not count as being Raymond's sister course?

Champions is a good layout in Columbus, the best public course within the 270 circle in my opinion (except for that stupid 8th hole).  Not sure about the conditions; I haven't played there in quite awhile.  It used to be private but has been public for quite some time now.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 07:10:54 PM by JAL »

Ken McGlynn

Re: The Best Golf City in US?......shall we include per capita??
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2009, 07:46:24 PM »
Well for my money, if we break this down to a per capita analysis, then the hands down winner is the bourgeoning metropolis of Bandon, Oregon.

Hell, all the city's residents of 2,836 would fit in a city block in certain sections of Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, San Francisco, or LA. Not so sure about Columbus!

I think a more definitive examination would be quality of good golf holes divided by that population.

Let's see 54 holes + 10 at Old Mac  =  64 - 1 (the obligatory throw out of #14 at Trails to you haters) = 63.

So by my math (2836 divided by 63)  for approximately every 45 Bandon residents there is a quality golf hole.

I defy anyone else to match those numbers!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2009, 08:29:21 PM »
Ken, but I'll bet that 90% of Bandon's residents couldn't afford to play more than once or twice per year (of thats true for the general population of the USA too :) )

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »
I cannot freaking believe that Raymond Memorial now has a photo essay on GCA.  Is nothing sacred?  There are actually a lot of courses that I'd prefer to play less than Raymond.

Rich, in Cincinnati would Royal St. Reeves not count as being Raymond's sister course?

Champions is a good layout in Columbus, the best public course within the 270 circle in my opinion (except for that stupid 8th hole).  Not sure about the conditions; I haven't played there in quite awhile.  It used to be private but has been public for quite some time now.

Come on now, comparing Reeves to anything short of a goat path is not fair. Raymond Memorial is 100 times better than Reeves is.

My 4 year old son could design a better course than Reeves.

Sorry you dislike golf course pictures on a golf architecture related website. Gotta go, I am on my way to get pics of Reeves to post for you!!!! ;D

PS:  I took a huge step forward and played Otter Creek today, loved it!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:55:12 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2009, 09:01:26 PM »
Niall, if you started your post with "best small town" rather than city, we could have an good debate...

Why is 20 miles an important number? Do you think there is a person on this website who would mind driving 45 miles to play any of the 25 great courses in the NY Met area? Of course, access is the big problem, so you can take points off for lack of great public courses.

JLahrman

« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2009, 05:16:38 PM »
Come on now, comparing Reeves to anything short of a goat path is not fair. Raymond Memorial is 100 times better than Reeves is.

Sorry you dislike golf course pictures on a golf architecture related website. Gotta go, I am on my way to get pics of Reeves to post for you!!!! ;D

Well I'll grant you that Raymond is a better course than Reeves, but if you're talking walkable, not too tough, and boring terrain, Reeves fits the bill.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »

Well I'll grant you that Raymond is a better course than Reeves, but if you're talking walkable, not too tough, and boring terrain, Reeves fits the bill.

In fact, I am not so sure that the parcel of land called Reeves can be called "terrain."
Last 7:

JLahrman

« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Floodplain?

Niall Hay

« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2009, 03:18:45 PM »
Niall, if you started your post with "best small town" rather than city, we could have an good debate...

Columbus is hardly a small town....In 2007, Columbus was ranked as the 15th largest city in the United States

JLahrman

« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2009, 03:51:31 PM »

Columbus is hardly a small town....In 2007, Columbus was ranked as the 15th largest city in the United States

Well that depends on how you define a city.  Columbus has annexed half of Ohio, so by your measure Columbus looks big.  However, if you go by metro area it's a different story.  By MSA Columbus is smaller than both Cincinnati and Cleveland.  Based on 2007 measures Columbus has the 32nd biggest MSA in the country.  Still large I suppose, but it's not going to feel like the 15th biggest city in the country when you're there.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2009, 03:59:45 PM »
Ken,

If we want to take this thing to absurd levels like including Bandon, here is one to beat it.

Mullen, Nebraska, has a population of 490.  http://www.mullennebraska.com/

Sand Hills Golf Club has 18 holes...so 490/18 = 1 quality golf hole for every 27 people which is miles better than a 1/45 ratio.  And those people in Bandon have about the same ability to fork over those hefty green fees as a person living in Mullen, NE would have of a finding a connection to play Sand Hills...so its pretty equivilant right?   ;D

Niall Hay

« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2009, 05:04:44 PM »

Well that depends on how you define a city.  Columbus has annexed half of Ohio, so by your measure Columbus looks big.  However, if you go by metro area it's a different story.  By MSA Columbus is smaller than both Cincinnati and Cleveland.  Based on 2007 measures Columbus has the 32nd biggest MSA in the country.  Still large I suppose, but it's not going to feel like the 15th biggest city in the country when you're there.

It's certainly enormous compared to Bandon....

JLahrman

« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2009, 05:25:31 PM »
I will concede that point.

Tim Rooney

« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2009, 10:34:43 PM »
Guys, Cols. is the largest Ohio City(proper)>Cincy or Cleveland.Cleveland metro is Ohio's largest, featuring it's wonderful ethnic diversity.Columbus metro is 1.7M+, and growing.

Niall Hay

« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2009, 10:40:50 PM »
Thank you Tim!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back