News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack_Marr

Re: BEHOLD, ST ENODOC
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 03:07:07 AM »
Sean:

Terrific photos. Thank you.  Is it my imagination or are there elements of St. Endoc that are very similar to Enniscrone?  Scale is obviously different but I was reminded of Enniscrone 1, the green at 2 and the punchbowl 13th.  I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks all. 

Rory

I would agree with you in terms of some of the greens, in particular #s 1, 2, 7, 12, 16 & 18.  There is a modern edge to these greens which is a bit more in your face once you stand on them as compared to say the 3rd, 10th, 11th, 14th and 17th.  However, excepting the greens, St Enodoc is far more daring design.  Comparatively, Enniscrone is quite conventional.  Not surprisingly, the new 16th green complex is very similar in style to what has been built lately on links. When I think of the new Royal hole at Hoylake, Burnham's new 6th (and a few others for that matter) and several of the holes at TEC - they all have a flavour of being able to be grouped together in the general style of Enniscrone.  I spose this was one of the things which is a real double edged sword for Carne.  I couldn't ever say that Hackett designed in the same mode as those mentioned above and this helps it to stand out as unique among modern designs - Hackett really was a throwback.  That said, there are times when I wish he would have compromised and pushed a bit of dirt around.

Ciao

According to Hacket, 14 of the holes in Carne were just there, but the other four he had to "move heaven and earth" for.

John
John Marr(inan)

Emil Weber

Re: BEHOLD, ST ENODOC
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 05:41:43 PM »
Great pictures and great comments, Sean. I'm soo much looking forward to finally play there next week :)

Sean_A

Re: All Things Draw Toward ST ENODOC
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 05:21:36 AM »
Take a look at the updated tour.  Zowie!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back