News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Wagner

Re: The Armchair Architecture Contest...Final Wrap-Up and Feedback
« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2009, 12:37:02 PM »
Charlie,

What if the contest had practical value instead of just theory?  I've wondered for awhile about starting a CGA.com effort to help redesign old uninspired Army and Navy goat tracks as a public service.  What if the contest was centered around a particular existing Navy track with a modest budget and realistic chances to build?  The winning design could then be submitted to the Navy course for real construction.

Just a thought.

- Peter

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2009, 12:52:16 PM »
Peter, I think it would be a terrific idea. Do you think we could get our hands on the necessary pertinent information? I'm talking topo map, with wetlands boundaries, property lines, maybe even current irrigation extents etc? Even if we couldn't, I could always generate most of it from the currently available data.

What kind of timeline are you thinking? (both for starting and for how long participants would have)

I think it would be a much more interesting experience for both participants and the general GCA viewing public than the last contest.

Others, feel free to chime in with some views/suggestions on Peter's idea.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Peter Wagner

« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2009, 01:02:11 PM »
Do you think we could get our hands on the necessary pertinent information? I'm talking topo map, with wetlands boundaries, property lines, maybe even current irrigation extents etc? Even if we couldn't, I could always generate most of it from the currently available data.

I think we could if we could find the right course and course manager.  I'm not sure how we would do that other than casting the net on CGA to see if anyone has contacts for these types of courses.

What kind of timeline are you thinking? (both for starting and for how long participants would have)
Because it's for a real effort (and good cause) I would be generous on timeline. 

Here's a list of Navy courses:

http://www.mwr.navy.mil/mwrprgms/golflist.htm

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:11:42 PM by Peter Wagner »

Jim Colton

Charlie,

Nice work on the scorecard.  I was actually going to put a 3D clubhouse in the shape of a doghouse on my design, exactly like your logo.

As expected, I continue to tweak and modify my original design, for not other reason than I have no life.  Although now that I've made all these changes, I don't know if it really any better than the last version.  In any case, let me know if it's too late to get my new version to you to go on the scorecard.  I only have one more hole to tweak.

Jim

Charlie Goerges

Jim,

Send me your sketchup file when you're finished, and if you could also send me a word or excel document with the yardages, that would help as well.

Looks good.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Peter Wagner

Charlie,

Here's a Navy course in San Diego, Sea n Air GC on North Island (Coronado) in SanDiego's bay:

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=104545

This might be a great candidate for a CGA makeover! 

Garland Bayley

Peter,

Looks like there are some ponds to be drained! ;) As a side note, I looked at the Sherwood score card and decided to let my partner deal with hitting over as many ponds as possible by giving him the even holes for his tee shot. We started on 2, had to skip 3, and guess who ended up hitting into the water all day since skipping 3 immediately negated my tee ball rotation.
 :'(
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back