News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: 10 Scottish Hidden Gems
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 12:41:02 PM »
A good 10.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 12:53:26 PM »
Thanks, David. All new to me. I will say this:

There are no bunkers -- anywhere in the world, by any architect living or dead -- better than the pot bunkers found on some of Scotland's most hidden gems.

IMO.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 02:18:13 PM »
I've played Ladybank, Pilochery, and Prestwick St. Nicholas.  They were very different from each other but all enjoyable. I think folks could make a great trip to Scotland by playing some of its "hidden gems." But of course that goes for most of the British Isles. After you have played the courses with the most accolades, skip them the second time around and play these gems.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 02:32:29 PM »
Open Qualifiers, Hidden Gems? .... Seriously?

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 03:25:50 PM »

I did kind've think the same thing, but there are so many gems there, it's hard to quibble with any list that highlights a few new gems(Lanark was new to me)
a good enough list and certainly not on most people's overseas radar
I've played Montrose, Tain,Traigh, Prestwick ST. Nicholas, Longniddry and was rained out of Pitlochry(Biblical rain that also shut down the Open)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 03:57:04 PM »

I did kind've think the same thing, but there are so many gems there, it's hard to quibble with any list that highlights a few new gems(Lanark was new to me)
a good enough list and certainly not on most people's overseas radar
I've played Montrose, Tain,Traigh, Prestwick ST. Nicholas, Longniddry and was rained out of Pitlochry(Biblical rain that also shut down the Open)

When you get down to it there are not many hidden gems for this group. But I'll bet they all are for most of my friends.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 04:39:39 PM »
Open invite to any GCAer to come play Ladybank when in sunny Fifeshire!
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 06:04:24 PM »
Cheers,
F.
Marty - I hope to connect with you and Ms Nancy before too long. I’m at Gullane for the summer. Plan to come down.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 06:24:04 PM »
Cheers,
F.
Marty - I hope to connect with you and Ms Nancy before too long. I’m at Gullane for the summer. Plan to come down.

Mike,
I heard you were in the neighbourhood. Be great to catch up. Nancy says hi!
See you soon...
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 06:11:26 AM »
Cheers,
F.

Careful Marty, some of us live close enough to take you up on that !

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2021, 08:42:38 AM »
"Five years ago, places like Brora, Shiskine, Fraserburgh, Durness, and Anstruther would have fit perfectly into a list like this, but the internet has given them a measure of fame that took them out of the running. Don’t let that stop you from finding them though.

The following 10 courses are little-known outside the town, district, county, shire, or burgh in which they sit, but will charm the socks off you."

I've no real quibble over the selected courses being good, fun and worthwhile playing but like Brian I think they are stretching it by calling them hidden gems. With the exception of Traigh, these courses are all pretty well known in Scotland and are probably better known than the likes of Durness and Shiskine.

Niall

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2021, 09:10:55 AM »
Niall,

You are probably correct when considering a Scottish (or UK for that matter) audience, but in the US most golfers have not heard of any courses in the UK outside of the Open rota.

Having said that though... when I’m in London I constantly get a blank stare from golfers when I tell them I’m a member at RCPGC. Most have never heard of the club much less the town of Deal. It’s shocking how many don’t know anything about the place.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2021, 10:29:58 AM »
Not nearly as hidden as the English 10.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back