News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Frederick, Md. Must Play ?
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:10:24 AM »
 Is there one to play this weekend?

Keep in mind that I'm a fan of strategic golf and hate parallel hazards.
AKA Mayday

Cory Lewis

Re: Frederick, Md. Must Play ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »
Whiskey Creek is your best bet Mike.  If you don't like parallel hazards stay away from PB Dye.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:42:03 AM »
I have played both Whiskey Creek and P.B. Dye and would recommend Whiskey Creek if you can only play one round.

David Schmiel

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:52:57 AM »

Mike, I am very qualified to answer this since I live in Frederick and have played all the courses in the area numerous times with the exception of Whiskey Creek and Maryland National (once each)

Your best bets for strategic golf and a quality layout are, in no particular order, Musket Ridge Golf Club in Myersville, then Worthington  Manor Golf Club in Urbana.   Both are fun layouts that will test your course management skills without being penal or "tricked-up".   

Maryland National has a few holes that are too narrow, feel like they were "shoe-horned" into the layout, and do not provide any strategic options, so it would not make my top few in the area.  Another poster mentioned PB Dye.  It can be fun but there are WAY too many blind shots.  Finally, if you don't mind housing development courses, Hollow Creek in Middletown is nice.  Overall though, Musket and Worthington are your best bets.  Good luck and hit 'em straight!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 10:58:53 AM »
Mike,

This isn't even a contest.

PB Dye is by far the most interesting golf course in that region, and I'm sure you'll agree once you go play there.   Whiskey Creek is a snooze-fest with fussy looking bunkers and a claim to fame of the remains of a stone building in the middle of the 18th fairway.

Musket Ridge is abysmal.

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:22:14 AM »
 As usual, Mike Cirba gives a bland commentary.
AKA Mayday

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:47:58 AM »
Mike,

You'd expect no less of me.  ;)

I'm speaking of course from purely architeftural standpoint, and not from conditioning, cost/value, etc.

Worthington Manor is pretty good if you're looking for a compromise between my radical views and the reactionary views of those who don't agree with me, but personally, I'd love to hear your thoughts on PB.

Playing any of the other courses I think you'd be hard-pressed to come back here and be inspired to write more than 3 sentences of review, which you'd then likely read, re-read, and then delete the whole thread.  ;)

Mark Bourgeois

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »
You should first realize that most of the courses in the area you are talking about could be very cold this weekend and perhaps have significant frost delays.

I have played most of the courses quite a few times and I most definitely disagree with Mike Cirba - I think Musket Ridge is the best of the group. 
There is some strategy in many of the holes and it is certainly challenging.

PB Dye has a few interesting greens but little in the way of strategy.

Worthington Manor is dull and uninteresting and there are some dangerous spots on the course where you can easily be hit by an errant shot from another hole.

Whiskey Creek is a fun little course which is scenic and has some very good holes which include some well thought out par 5s.

I think Art Hills does a better job on courses then on restorations and Maryland National is good but there are some holes which seem to be squeezed in.   

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 06:04:48 PM »
I've written reviews on most of the courses listed above.  None are much better than mediocre. 

If you stretch your limits a little, within 25 miles of Frederick is Fountainhead CC.  The rest pale in comparison.

JC

Paul Carey

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 06:38:15 PM »
Musket Ridge is the best public.  It is interesting, forces some decision-making and fun. 

Fountain Head is private but a lot of fun.  Quirky (good) little greens.  It is one of those courses that you walk off and can't understand why you shot such a high number....it doesn't seem difficult but is demanding without being "hard" (if that makes sense!)

The weather is a bit iffy for the weekend (high of 59 but maybe raining).

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 07:38:29 PM »
i enjoy whiskey creek a lot, but i am not sure anything other than baltimore cc is a "must play" around there

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 08:15:28 PM »

blow them all off and play Penn National

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 08:17:46 PM »
Paul - FHCC is private but it is very easy to get on.  Many afternoons, even on weekends, there's not a person on the course.  They are also very much looking for members.  Anybody on this site could call them and get out.  JC

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 09:50:54 PM »
there really isn't a must play up there, IMHO, but i agree w/ cirba that pb dye is the most interesting. 

let us know what you think of #11 if you play it.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 08:08:26 AM »
Mayday

If you thought spring had sprung below the Mason Dixon Line you were mistaken. Highs this weekend in the mid 40's....no thank you. My thoughts of course:

PB Dye conditions have improved greatly since BCG took over last summer. 13 blind tee shots can get a bit annoying. some very good holes and several quirky greens. PB at his most Dye-abolical.

Musket Ridge - Forget about Cirba. Course is very playable and fun to play. No real architectural genius displayed by the late Joe Lee here. Good conditioning.

Worthington Manor is one of the better Ault Clark efforts. Changes in topo help keep your interest.

Fountain Head is private Donald Ross. Club has been in financial trouble and I am sure they would welcome a distinguished gentleman of your caliber with open arms. Escpecially after you have your pro for RGGC make a call. Course is very short (good for your game) and the greens are radical postage stamps. You will love it!

Whiskey Creek lost several greens last year. Better check with them before you go there. The course is solid and better than Cirba gives it credit. Very playable since they clear deep into the trees.

Bring your woolies!

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 08:54:38 AM »
I played Whiskey Creek late last year and their greens were fine (all 18 open).  It is very scenic and built on a very hilly piece of property.  Yes there is the remains of a stone building in the middle of the 18th fairway and between the 18th hole and hole 2 I believe.  Some may call it gimmicky, I thought is was quirky and different - it did not come into play for me and can easily be avoided (fairway on both sides).

P.B. Dye strikes me as one of those courses you either love or hate (no middle ground).  I do not hate blind shots, enjoy undulating greens and had a blast playing there.  However, there is definetely strategy there whether it be proper fairway location to avoid blind shots or help in the approach to the wild greens, amount to bite off on diagonal carries to when to lay up or not.

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 09:32:20 AM »
The infamous 11th mentioned above......

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 09:38:24 AM »
Mayday

If you thought spring had sprung below the Mason Dixon Line you were mistaken. Highs this weekend in the mid 40's....no thank you. My thoughts of course:

PB Dye conditions have improved greatly since BCG took over last summer. 13 blind tee shots can get a bit annoying. some very good holes and several quirky greens. PB at his most Dye-abolical.

Musket Ridge - Forget about Cirba. Course is very playable and fun to play. No real architectural genius displayed by the late Joe Lee here. Good conditioning.

Worthington Manor is one of the better Ault Clark efforts. Changes in topo help keep your interest.

Bring your woolies!

Rob,

Don't worry about Mayday and the weather...he'll be just fine.   In Horse Racing parlance, he's a "mudder".

A few years back I played Atlantic City with him on a day that was about 30 degrees with brisk winds.   He plays all winter if he can.

I'll be interested to hear his report after playing PB Dye today.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »
Mikey Boy - I thought you were going to let me show you a sneaky good new course flying under the DC area golfing radar?  Get your butt down here in the spring and we'll check it out.

JC

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 06:58:20 PM »
Mike, trust me on this.  Drive into Chevy Chase and play Columbia CC.  You'll be very happy!  ;D

David Schmiel

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 08:09:37 PM »
Mike, trust me on this.  Drive into Chevy Chase and play Columbia CC.  You'll be very happy!  ;D

??? This kind of statement on this site always baffles me.   ???  Unless he knows a member very well there isn't a chance in heck he's getting on at Columbia.  Yet many posters on this board always recommend playing these ultra-private courses as if it's as easy as calling for a tee time.  Am I missing something?  Could I have been playing these courses all along if I just knew the tricks of getting access?  If so then someone please PM me with the details of how to do it!!!  ::)

mike_malone

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 10:53:19 PM »
 We came home. Those courses just fight nature too much for me. It looks like our home coursefor Sat.
AKA Mayday

Andy Hughes

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 08:10:08 AM »
Jonathon, which course are you referring to?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 08:26:52 AM »

??? This kind of statement on this site always baffles me.   ???  Unless he knows a member very well there isn't a chance in heck he's getting on at Columbia.  Yet many posters on this board always recommend playing these ultra-private courses as if it's as easy as calling for a tee time.  Am I missing something?  Could I have been playing these courses all along if I just knew the tricks of getting access?  If so then someone please PM me with the details of how to do it!!!  ::)

Great comment... I always think the same way.  Course pairings, for example... if you are ever in Charlotte... drop in and play Quail Hollow and Charlotte CC.  Funny!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back