News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

COURSE PAIRINGS
« on: March 05, 2009, 11:06:46 AM »
for a total of 18 days golf.  Which 18 pairings do you pick?  Heres the catch - at least one course in each pairing has to be accessible via the standard public route.  In other words, the average Joe can call up and book a time.  Of course, both courses need to be in reasonable proximity to each other.  You have to be positive that each are within an hour's drive to facilitate a 36 hole day.  I am sure some of you wing nuts will talk about helicopters and Batmobiles to achieve your aims!!!  Here are some of my favourites and they are all very reasonable given normal travel options.

Woking and Addington
Dornoch and Brora
Pennard and Southerndown
Ennsicrone and Carne
Sligo and Donegal
North Berwick and Dunbar

I have left loads of my favourites out there because I couldn't find a suitable mate that I was really happy paying to see again.     

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom Huckaby

Re: COURSE PAIRINGS
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:15:45 AM »
Sean - can you clarify what you are asking here?  I am confused.  Do you want two courses near each other to be played exclusively for 18 days?

Or 18 different pairings, two courses each day, and a full routing of such... all of which must be realistically doable (ie 36 proximate accessible courses covered in 18 days?

This former seems to be more your style.. but the question seems to be geared toward the latter....

Also can this be in USA?

TH

Jamie Barber

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:23:46 AM »
How about Woodhall Spa and Hunstanton - you'd have to put your foot down but a terrific day of varied (and tough) golf!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »
Jamie, Try Woodhall Spa and Seacroft one day, then Hunstanton and Royal West Norfolk the next. Seacroft is a good course which is currently below the radar.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »
Sean,

You would choose Dunbar over Gullane to go with North Berwick?

Maybe if cost is brought in to the equation I can see your point... I might argue Gullane 2 though... Just to get up that hill and get that view...

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:45:39 AM »
Sean - can you clarify what you are asking here?  I am confused.  Do you want two courses near each other to be played exclusively for 18 days?

Or 18 different pairings, two courses each day, and a full routing of such... all of which must be realistically doable (ie 36 proximate accessible courses covered in 18 days?

This former seems to be more your style.. but the question seems to be geared toward the latter....

Also can this be in USA?

TH

AwsHuckster

I wasn't thinking all 36 games would be covered in 18 days.  It isn't likely we could come up with 18 interesting enough pairings for that - though it is an intriguing idea!  Just 18 parings of which each pairing could be done easily in one day.  I can't come up with anything close to 18 compelling pairs with the proviso that one course in each pair must be accessible for the average Joe.

Ally

Of course cost factors into it - for me at least!  Lets put it this way, I would rather pay to play Dunbar than pay to play Gullane - and it ain't even close.  The view from Dunbar ain't bad!

Ciao 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 11:48:11 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »
Sean,

I can think of several more right here on the left coast.  In the Monterey general area alone there are easily 3 pairings.  ;D

CPC - Pebble
Dunes - Spyglass
Shore - Spanish Bay

San Jose Area
Pasa - Cinnabar Hills

Dale Jackson

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »
Deal and Sandwich
Portrush and Portstewart
Royal Dublin and Portmarnock
Royal Aberdeen and Muchar
Carnoustie and Panmure
Capilano and Shaughnessy
Olympic and SFGC
Jasper and Banff - that would be a bit of a drive but what a drive!

etc., etc.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 12:07:51 PM »
Open this to the US and the possibilities are endless... especially if you allow one private, one public....

In addition to those stated....

Just here in Norcal....

MPCC Shore - Spanish Bay
Preserve - Del Monte
Half Moon Bay New - Harding
Ruby Hills - Wente Vineyards...

Wow we could go on and on and on.  Maybe best TOO limit this to UK, Sean?

TH

Deucie Bies

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »
Bethpage Black and GCGC/Shinnecock/NGLA (I think this is doable, but would it take too long to play at Bethpage?)

Arcadia Bluffs and Crystal Downs

Bandon Dunes/Pacific Dunes

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 12:18:28 PM »
I did this once for a group playing in and around Northern Virginia.  We suggested…

Augustine the afternoon of arrival
South Wales - Bull Run
Virginia National – Raspberry Falls
Shenandoah Valley – Blue Ridge Shadows
Queenstown – Hogneck
Royal New Kent - Stonehouse
Swan Point the morning of departure

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 12:23:23 PM »

Also can this be in USA?

TH

AwsHuckster

I wasn't thinking all 36 games would be covered in 18 days.  It isn't likely we could come up with 18 interesting enough pairings for that - though it is an intriguing idea!  Just 18 parings of which each pairing could be done easily in one day.  I can't come up with anything close to 18 compelling pairs with the proviso that one course in each pair must be accessible for the average Joe.

Ally

Of course cost factors into it - for me at least!  Lets put it this way, I would rather pay to play Dunbar than pay to play Gullane - and it ain't even close.  The view from Dunbar ain't bad!

Ciao 

Sean,
I loved Dunbar-and I don't see why Gullane gets so much love here.
not even close to me either.
I did like that cool straight uphill 2nd hole though at Gullane
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 12:25:33 PM »
Sticking to the UK and to courses I know, and assuming ££ is no object, then the following would be a good 18 days golf.
Royal Dornoch & Brora
Cruden Bay & Royal Aberdeen
Carnoustie & Downfield
Elie & Lundin Links
Gullane & Kilspindie
North Berwick & Dunbar
Ganton & Fulford
Alwoodley & Moortown
Royal Birkdale & Formby
Royal Liverpool & Wallasey
Lindrick & Woodhall Spa
Notts & Coxmoor
Little Aston & Beau Desert
Saunton & Royal North Devon
St Enodoc & Trevose
Isle of Purbeck & Broadstone
Rye & Littlestone
Royal Cinque Ports & Royal St Georges

You've played your way from the North of Scotland to the South East of England in 18 days!!  Although I think you'd need to build in a couple of driving/rest days. 

The Bournemouth area courses are a little weak in comparison with the others but I was trying to fill in between Cornwall & Sussex.

The list is fairly heavily orientated towards the East Coast of Scotland and Northern England but that's where I've played most of my golf.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Chris Ord

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »
southern cal...

riviera & rustic
soule park & ojai
rancho park & hillcrest cc are across the street from one another.  i haven't played hillcrest, but rancho is fun (albeit waaaayyyy slow).

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 12:28:22 PM »
Deal and Sandwich
Portrush and Portstewart
Royal Dublin and Portmarnock
Royal Aberdeen and Muchar
Carnoustie and Panmure
Capilano and Shaughnessy
Olympic and SFGC
Jasper and Banff - that would be a bit of a drive but what a drive!

etc., etc.

Where's the open to the public part of these?
 Capilano & Shaughnessy
 Olympic and SFGC

Jasper and Banff only in an emergency vehicle to get all the tourists out of the way on the drive between.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:33:04 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 12:30:56 PM »
Chambers Bay and Gold Mountain Olympic
Juniper and Tetherow
EDIT: Why bother withTetherow, Juniper and Juniper is a better choice.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:34:15 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 01:04:07 PM »
Now, go back and really look at your suggestions and ask yourself:

1. Is at least one of the courses really something very, very special?

2. Is the "second" course able to stand on its own?  In other words, would you reco to a traveler if it weren't for other courses in the area?

I was hoping that the answer to both of these questions was yes.  I am looking for 18 outstanding pairs.  So far from what I know and/or what I would be interested in seeing the following intrigue me:

CPC (MPCC as well) and Pebble
Bethpage and NGLA, Shinny etc - which is the best pairing?  I am trusting these are all within an hour of each other!
Crystal Downs and Arcadia (is Kingsley within striking distance?)
Pacific and Bandon Dunes (surprised this wasn't picked up earlier - Old Mac gonna replace on of these?)
Riviera and Rustic (can Rustic really stand on its own - is it really a player?)
Sandwich and Deal (not sure about Deal, but I will consider it because it seems a shame for Sandwich to be left out - is Rye within an hour??????)

I thought about Formby and Wallasey, but it strikes me as a close run deal if an hour is reasonable time between the two - can it be done without breaking the law?

I also thought about Merion and Lederach, but I am not sure Lederach is quite there for what I am thinking. 

I am surprised that TOC hasn't been paired with Kingsbarns - no good?

Keep digging guys.

Ciao

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 01:10:47 PM »
Sean - each of mine meet your requirements - perhaps not to the extent of Cypress-Pebble, but close enough - each are very worth doing.

The point is we have a LOT of these in the states if you assume access.  And since you have allowed Cypress, NGLA, Shinnecock, ANYTHING is possible.

Limit it to places one can reasonably expect to get on and the field narrows tremendously... and thus also wisest to leave it to the UK.

TH

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 01:19:12 PM »
Bandon Trail/Old MacDonald
;)

For me Gold Mountain Olympic was an eye opener with regards to the routing. I was amazed by  how well it fit together given the severity of some of the terrain, so I do recommend it with Chambers Bay, which by the way is a public/public pairing.

I am not real high on Tetherow at least until they understand the use of eyebrows and mohawks better. But since I haven't played much else in the area I couldn't pair Juniper with the JN, TF, or RC(BC?) courses in the area and the TD is on hold to be finished and the C&C seems to have evaporated.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 01:21:23 PM by Garland Bayley »

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 01:21:54 PM »
Sean - each of mine meet your requirements - perhaps not to the extent of Cypress-Pebble, but close enough - each are very worth doing.

The point is we have a LOT of these in the states if you assume access.  And since you have allowed Cypress, NGLA, Shinnecock, ANYTHING is possible.

Limit it to places one can reasonably expect to get on and the field narrows tremendously... and thus also wisest to leave it to the UK.

TH

Huckster

Are you telling me that as a visitor to California I should see Spanish Bay, Preserve, Del Monte, Half Moon Bay New, Harding, Ruby Hills and Wente Vineyards?  Assume I am the one you have to convince and I wouldn't take away a day of goofing off in California to play any of those courses.  Why?  Because not one strikes me as very, very special.  Are you telling me several are very, very special?  Come on, dig my boy.  

UPDATE

Woking and Addington
Dornoch and Brora
Pennard and Southerndown
Ennsicrone and Carne
Sligo and Donegal
North Berwick and Dunbar
CPC and Pebble
Bethpage and NGLA  (Are these within an hour?)
Pacific and Bandon Dunes (surprised this wasn't picked up earlier - Old Mac gonna replace one of these?)
Riviera and Rustic (can Rustic really stand on its own - is it really a player?)
Sandwich and Deal (not sure about Deal, but I will consider it because it seems a shame for Sandwich to be left out - is Rye within an hour?Huh??)
Bandon Trail and Old Mac (what say folks????)

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 01:27:21 PM by Sean Arble »

Deucie Bies

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 01:22:06 PM »
Valderrama/Sotogrande

Troon/Prestwick/Turnberry (any combination of the 3)

Machrihanish/Machrihanish Dunes

Muirfield/North Berwick

Jockey Club/Buenos Aires Country Club/Olivos Golf Club (not sure of proximity to each other)

Sunningdale (Old)/Swinley Forest

Royal Porthcawl/Pennard

Deucie Bies

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 01:24:02 PM »

BTW - which is the best match for Pebble?  There can only be one.  
[/quote]

I believe it would have to be CPC

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 01:26:49 PM »

TH

Huckster

Are you telling me that as a visitor to California I should see Spanish Bay, Preserve, Del Monte, Half Moon Bay New, Harding, Ruby Hills and Wente Vineyards?  Assume I am the one you have to convince and I wouldn't take away a day of goofing off in California to play any of those courses.  Why?  Because not one strikes me as very, very special.  Are you telling me several are very, very special?  Come on, dig my boy.  

BTW - which is the best match for Pebble?  There can only be one.  

I think that your time would be wasted on none of those, Sean.... especially as compared to the UK ones you have mentioned.  In all seriousness they are not far adrift from some of those.

Pebble-Cypress, of course.

But I still think allowing courses such as Cypress, NGLA etc. gets this more to the fanciful, whereas your UK list could be done by pretty much anyone.

But it's your question... if fanciful is what you want, this country has plenty to offer.

TH

Deucie Bies

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »
Mountain Lake/Southern Dunes

Indian Creek/Doral Blue Monster?

Chicago Golf Club/Cog Hill 4

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 01:37:35 PM »
Deucie

I can buy Sunny Old and Swinley even though they aren't really my cup of tea as a partnership, but if 18 better come along - chop!

I don't know about Mach Dunes and Mach.  Mach Dunes is gonna have to be all world to carry the back 9 of Machrihanish.  Time will tell on that.

I don't buy Prestwick with either Troon or Turnberry.  Does Western Gailes work? I don't know as its been an awfully long time since I was there.

I am interested in Mountain Lake/S Dunes.  Do folks think S Dunes is that good?  I mean I am doubting places like Lederach and Tobacco Road and they are awfully good. 

UPDATE

Woking and Addington
Dornoch and Brora
Pennard and Southerndown
Ennsicrone and Carne
Sligo and Donegal
North Berwick and Dunbar
CPC and Pebble
Bethpage and NGLA  (Are these within an hour?)
Pacific and Bandon Dunes (surprised this wasn't picked up earlier - Old Mac gonna replace one of these?)
Sandwich and Deal (not sure about Deal, but I will consider it because it seems a shame for Sandwich to be left out - is Rye within an hour?Huh??)
Sunny Old and Swinley

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back