News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Varney

Re: You want to buy a golf course?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 04:22:15 PM »
Anthony,

Where do you live?

I will invite my mom she will come and watch us so that when I am done beating on you she can take care of you and give you some apple pie or newport grape to control the swelling.

Guys tell me that when I hit them really hard it feels like being struck by lightning it tingles all the way down to their knees as they are falling  down.  Can't wait for us to get together!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 04:22:33 PM »
I wonder if anyone on the internet ever admitted to being 150lb, 5'7" with a paunch.

God, if I weighed 150 I would gladly brag about it on the Internet!

As for the rest, this thread has graduated from Train Wreck to Truly Bizarre. I'm starting to think we've all been Punk'd...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 04:25:26 PM »
This thread went from one of business intrigue to one of people watching for sport.

I'll be good after another beer or 2......meanwhile, keep the ol' chest puffed out, boys.....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Scott Warren

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »

Guys tell me that when I hit them really hard it feels like being struck by lightning it tingles all the way down to their knees as they are falling  down.  Can't wait for us to get together!

Is "hit" a code word for something else?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 04:26:39 PM »
Watch out Antone.

At the Holston outing in December

Matt,

I would love to kickbox with you but I don't trhink I could get my foot back out of your navel. I hear the workers at your course ride to work in your belly button.

Anthony

Mike Wagner

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »
Back to business here!  Will you take 225k for the course?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 04:31:29 PM »

I bid $225.1

BTW I have no dog in any of this fight, but man I have to say... Anthony that last one absolutely cracked me up.

;D

Matt Varney

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 04:35:14 PM »
This is ridiculous!

I could not agree more Jordan now lets get back to the point of how this all started.  I simply post something about a friend of mine P.B. Dye who wants to sell a golf course for $600k nothing more just a heads up because we are going to post it out on the internet.

Then the train wreck starts with the personal attacks on me so I took it down a path with a little touch of Tennessee redneck class and it got really bizarre.  I really am 6'4" 255 and you would want me in your corner if we were out having some drinks and somebody wanted to start a fight.  Now I am laughing thinking about me and Anthony really fighting at my gym.

That picture is not me at Holston let me take a picture of my fist and I will send it to you so you can remember it after I use them to knock you out!

Somebody please delete this thread.

Matt

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »

I bid $225.1

BTW I have no dog in any of this fight, but man I have to say... Anthony that last one absolutely cracked me up.

;D

Tom,

Post #24, had me laughing out loud.

The only question now is how long till this post gets deleted.

Chris

Matt Varney

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 04:45:50 PM »
Guys,

I am getting e-mail messages now from people on the forum who really think I am serious and I am going to ruin my reputation professionally.  This forum will not damage my career I can assure you of that it has no bearing whatsoever on my success.

I am a highly educated big ol'boy from Tennessee that truly loves golf course design and construction.  GCA is a fun outlet but, I now have found that it is also a great place to meet guys like Anthony that are interested in kickboxing and fighting at my local gym.  

This has been a good end to the day so I can laugh driving home!

Matt

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 04:47:35 PM »

I bid $225.1

;D

Tom,

Post #24, had me laughing out loud.

The only question now is how long till this post gets deleted.

Chris

Chris - fully agreed - remiss not to mention that also.  AG is scoring major comedy points here.

But yes, I would guess the shelf life for this thread is not long.  That is IF Ran or Ben are paying attention these days.  Here's a test:

RAN I WOULD HAVE KICKED YOUR ASS AT SAND HILLS HAD YOU NOT GIRLISHLY DEMANDED NINE SHOTS.

;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 04:49:42 PM »

Hey Matt................Nice tits............

Anthony

Joe Hancock

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 04:50:13 PM »
Guys,

I am getting e-mail messages now from people on the forum who really think I am serious and I am going to ruin my reputation professionally.  This forum will not damage my career I can assure you of that it has no bearing whatsoever on my success.

I am a highly educated big ol'boy from Tennessee that truly loves golf course design and construction.  GCA is a fun outlet but, I now have found that it is also a great place to meet guys like Anthony that are interested in kickboxing and fighting at my local gym.  

This has been a good end to the day so I can laugh driving home!

Matt

The pleasure has been all ours. Really.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jason McNamara

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 04:52:21 PM »
Must admit I never saw the thread going here  :o :D , but I'll let Matt have the last word.
(I don't think my elision changes his intent.)

The last time I looked around GCA was not a classifieds website it was a discussion forum...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 04:54:39 PM »

I am a highly educated big ol'boy from Tennessee
Matt

Highly educated from TN??????

In TN they don't even have sex ed or even drivers ed................ALL the mules died.

Anthony

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »
Tom,

Nice - always good to see if what we post is being read!!  ;D

Jason,

I can not remember a thread ever going this way.

Chris

Matt Varney

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
Anthony,

This has been fun I can't wait for spring so we can get together and play golf soon!

I don't want to see another thread on GCA about building a golf course for $1M again.

Owning a golf course is a dream for many golfers and I simply was doing a favor for a personal friend of mine posting it to people that would be interested.  You can imagine my surprise by the responses to this thread today from a few members on the discussion forum.  

White Flag!

Matt

PCCraig

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2009, 04:58:53 PM »
Anthony-

That crack about riding to work in a belly button had me laughing...well done.

Matt-

I don't think anyone was really insulting you, just questioning your motives. I think it's kinda neat when people post golf courses for sale (I understand that they represent lots of emotional baggage for many owners and operators) and I like thinking how cool it would be to own and run a golf course. However when you post stuff as a semi-classified it would be best to clearly state your relationship with the project...I don't think that is hard or uncalled for.
H.P.S.

George Pazin

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2009, 05:18:54 PM »
When you question someone's motives, you are insulting him. In person, people know this; online is another story. I don't see where Matt did anything terrible by bringing up an opportunity that MANY have discussed on here. I think he is owed an apology by many folks.

Someday people will realize that envy is right up there with greed on the seven deadly sins list...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

jeffwarne

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2009, 05:28:12 PM »
There are a lot of OT topics on this forum that go on for days (guilty as charged)
I personally find references to golf courses for sale a great barometer of the industry and enjoy such posts.

When every post is about architecture we can all throw stones at less than perfect threads ::)

man this got bizarre quickly :-X
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

PCCraig

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »
When you question someone's motives, you are insulting him. In person, people know this; online is another story. I don't see where Matt did anything terrible by bringing up an opportunity that MANY have discussed on here. I think he is owed an apology by many folks.

Someday people will realize that envy is right up there with greed on the seven deadly sins list...

I agree that questioning motives is wrong, but open communication is never a bad thing. I wouldn't care if he had said in the first post "My friend and business partner wants to sell a golf course...interested." Cool, rock on, I was just saying it was wierd how, after asked point blank, dodged the question. Mearly pointing it out. I'm irish and Lord knows my people have been know to fight, but hopefully over more important things than a golf course in southern Indiana!  :)
H.P.S.

George Pazin

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2009, 05:45:57 PM »
I, too, favor open communication, but Matt simply listed an opportunity, he didn't come out swinging. When first questioned, he answered in a perfectly reasonable, mild mannered fashion. Anyone wishing further info should pick up the phone or contact him directly.

It is a real shame when folks on this site don't trust each other enough to simply read something and take it at face value. The need to dissect everything, to question each motive, to delve deeper and deeper into folks' personal lives, on a golf course architecture discussion site, surely must be one of the signs of the coming apocalypse.

I've never met Matt, but even if he were 5'7, 150, I'd be happy to share a beer with him.

Lighten up, folks. As one of my best clients says, chill out, man, have a beer.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »
George you are a SERIOUS party-pooper. Of course you are correct, but man you are squelching some of the best comedy this site has ever seen.

To that end, this thread simply MUST be saved for posterity.

George Pazin

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 05:50:36 PM »
Unfortunately one of the biggest flaws of the web is that things like this tend to lead to posters leaving the site, particularly industry posters. Joking around is one thing, but it bothers me to see old threads dug up and a bunch of former posters, now guests.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »
For the love of god...if there actually is one... this thread needs to stay.  I was laughing out loud for most of the way thru.

Trying to form a visual image of Anthony getting pummeled to a knob, by a corn-fed, back woods Tennessean is just to much to resist for a fun mental exercise. Hey I'd get in the ring and throw a few punches around.  I'm a bigger guy than Matt so maybe I could land a haymaker or two with effectiveness.

Woot!!!  The forum is getting that much closer to Tom Pauls vision of a Saturday night ballroom brawl when everyone is in a drunken stupor and just shouting out the 1st damndest thing that comes to thier mind.

Ran I beg of you, please don't delete this thread, it may be one of GCA.com best ever!!   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back