News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric_Terhorst

BOYCOTT "Mutual of Omaha" and its putting line!!!
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:46:55 PM »
As long as this greedy profiteering insurance company (aren't they all?) has a single $ of tax-deductible expense or accepts one single $ of premium income from the US Government, or from any of the government's hard-working employees, or for that matter from any taxpayer,  I DEMAND that they stop using OUR MONEY to ADVERTISE by sponsoring the FRIVOLOUS AND WASTEFUL "putting line" on the Golf Channel!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 09:55:24 PM by Eric_Terhorst »

Garland Bayley

Re: BOYCOTT "Mutual of Omaha" and its putting line!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »
Hey Eric,

Who sponsors the Natalie G show? Can we boycott them too? I had the misfortune once of being stuck doing my workout at the gym with that mindless pap going on before me.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:51:40 PM »
As long as this greedy profiteering insurance company (aren't they all?) has a single $ of tax-deductible expense or accepts one single $ of premium income from the US Government, or from any of the government's hard-working employees, or for that matter from any taxpayer,  I DEMAND that they stop using OUR MONEY to ADVERTISE by sponsoring the FRIVOLOUS AND WASTEFUL "putting line" on the Golf Channel!

Not to be a prude, but I wouldn't mind if you edited that last swear word in your post.

Joe

EDIT: Thanks
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:00:01 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:55:13 PM »
Hey Eric,

Who sponsors the Natalie G show? Can we boycott them too? I had the misfortune once of being stuck doing my workout at the gym with that mindless pap going on before me.

I only watch the Natalie Gulbis show with the volume muted. I just like to look at her when she walks around and does stuff. Words are not necessary.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:56:55 PM »
Who sponsors the Natalie G show?

Victoria's Secret?  In that case they get a pass..

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:58:26 PM »
Now it's your turn Joe.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 10:00:47 PM »
Now it's your turn Joe.  ;D

Got it, thanks for the heads up!
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 10:07:23 PM »
I like the putting line and the fact that MofO turned down the TARP dollars because it wasn't needed. Once the money is paid to a govenment contractor in exchange for a service it is no longer "our" money. Rather it now belongs to the owners of MofO and they can do what they want with it. MofO has private sector customers that they can acquire anyway they want.

I also hope their CEO makes an extreme amount money for running a good company. Just to piss off those looking to put caps on comp.

Recent news release:

Citing Financial Strength, Mutual of Omaha Says No to Capital Purchase Program
OMAHA, Neb. - (November 19, 2008) Citing its financial strength, Mutual of Omaha announced that it will not participate in the in the U.S. Treasury Department's Troubled Asset Relief Proposal (TARP) Capital Purchase Program.

"Mutual of Omaha has a strong capital position and good liquidity. We are profitable and fully able to meet our commitments to our policyholders. Therefore we elected not to participate in the Capital Purchase Program," said Mutual Executive Vice President and CFO Dave Diamond.

Founded in 1909, Mutual of Omaha provides insurance, banking and financial products for individuals, businesses and groups throughout the United States. In the individual market, Mutual is a leader in the life, Medicare supplement, long-term care, disability and annuity lines. The company also offers a portfolio of employee benefit solutions including life, disability, AD&D and retirement plans. A mutual company, Mutual of Omaha has earned high ratings from the leading ratings agencies, including an A+ rating from A.M. Best.

John Moore II

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:11:36 PM »

So do you also demand that Buick, Chevrolet, Dodge, BofA, Citi, Travelers, etc., etc., etc., stop all TV, print, and radio advertising? Do you really think if they stop sponsoring the aim line on TGC that they will not spend the money on other types of advertising? But maybe we can demand that all companies taking any federal aide not advertise at all. Then maybe we'll have to give assistance to the television and radio networks because they don't have enough revenue income to stay on the air.

This is ignorant as piss. Yet another thread on the board here that is bound to degenerate into a political discussion. What a load of crap.

Can we please take this one and a few other threads down off the board? They have no relevance at all in promoting the discussion of architecture.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 10:27:12 PM »
So do you also demand that Buick, Chevrolet, Dodge, BofA, Citi, Travelers, etc., etc., etc., stop all TV, print, and radio advertising?

YES!!!

But maybe we can demand that all companies taking any federal aide not advertise at all. Then maybe we'll have to give assistance to the television and radio networks because they don't have enough revenue income to stay on the air.

YES!!!

This is ignorant as piss.

YES!!!

What a load of crap.

YES!!!

John Moore II

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 11:03:22 PM »
So do you also demand that Buick, Chevrolet, Dodge, BofA, Citi, Travelers, etc., etc., etc., stop all TV, print, and radio advertising?

YES!!!

But maybe we can demand that all companies taking any federal aide not advertise at all. Then maybe we'll have to give assistance to the television and radio networks because they don't have enough revenue income to stay on the air.

YES!!!

This is ignorant as piss.

YES!!!

What a load of crap.

YES!!!

Don't Make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.  >:(

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 01:56:30 AM »
I don't get why anyone would like the putting line. Would you have preferred to have Tiger's putt to send the US Open into a playoff be marred with a line? How about one of Jack's great putts at the 86 Masters? You can't wait a few seconds to see if the line chosen by the putter is correct? Now that is impatience! :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

David Neveux

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 02:39:55 AM »
Count me among those who loathe the "putting line."  Especially when these guys are making putts outside of the perfect line as dictated by TGC.  Theres many different line / speed combinations for nearly every putt.

I do however love that "shot tracker."  Last year I really enjoyed watching the guys hit their tee balls on 13 at Augusta.

Nev

Rich Goodale

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 02:55:21 AM »
In homage to the late great Marlin Perkins, I think the "cheater line"  should be renamed the "Cheetah Lion"...............

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 09:46:38 AM »
This thread can't die yet, it has too much potential left in it.

With all these Luddites on GCA.com, count me as one who doesn't mind the putting line, even if I'm not sitting glued to the set wondering when they are going to break it out next.  I think its especially neat when they use it on one of those wildly breaking putts that looks like a Cosine function from my old Trig days.   ;D

I have yet to see any valid functional reason/arguement why its objectionable.

rjsimper

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 10:39:58 AM »
I love the putting line in the early/silly season.  To my knowledge, nobody has ever used it for a significant tournament of any kind....and it's not exactly like they're using it on the 17th hole on Sunday. 

Seeing it at Kapalua is a guilty pleasure for me

Bart Bradley

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 07:14:26 PM »
TV mutes the undulations of the greens...it is sometimes cool to see the line and just how much break these guys must play....plus, it is just hilarious to see a guy completely misaligning his putt and you get to yell out "NO, you dolt, it is going to break 5 times that amount!  What a mistake."

I don't want to see it in a major, but it is fun to see at times.

You can't boycott M of Omaha.. Wild Kingdom rocked!

Bart

Jason McNamara

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 10:44:43 PM »
I have yet to see any valid functional reason/arguement why its objectionable.

Hmm... because it's one more way to sneak even more advertising cruft into the telecast?   :)

I propose a sliding scale, whereby in-program mentions must reflect the actual expenditure for the service provided.  If you're paying for the airship (and crew), then that's actual money - sure you deserve a mention.  But sponsoring the tournament recap, shot of the day, or McCord's latest tip is right out.  Maybe the slo-mo swing camera is OK (those probably aren't cheap), but the putt tracker is questionable at best.

Oh, and any approval is contingent upon some marketing weenie *not* adding some negligibly relevant name (e.g. FedEx Delivery Zone) in a lame-ass attempt to tie in the ad.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back