News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: NGLA - Golf's enchanted journey
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2009, 10:06:27 PM »
We had a discussion over dinner tonight as to the best 2 consecutive holes in the Hamptons. 3 and 4 at Southampton CC started this chat. It was funny that any two holes at National trumped any other courses holes.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2009, 11:57:46 PM »
We had a discussion over dinner tonight as to the best 2 consecutive holes in the Hamptons. 3 and 4 at Southampton CC started this chat. It was funny that any two holes at National trumped any other courses holes.

Tiger, would you say #9 was the weakest (relatively speaking of course) of the 18?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2009, 07:57:58 AM »
Bill,

We'll get to # 9 shortly.

Let's keep posts confined to the hole being discussed.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2009, 09:56:16 AM »

One incredible hole after another isn't it?  Almost sensory overload. There is just SO much to see out there.  I wish I could have seen holes from more angles, but my observations, like my photos, were pretty much limited to the areas of the holes that I was playing.  Can't wait for 2013 to get here.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2009, 10:26:55 AM »
Bill,

We'll get to # 9 shortly.

Let's keep posts confined to the hole being discussed.

......probably in a month or two at this rate.  But keep it up, this is great stuff.   ;D

jkinney

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2009, 05:09:55 PM »
One of the great CBM stories passed down at The National involves a time in the mid 1930's when Macdonald's son-in-law, one of the Grace family and a strapping fellow, declared to CBM one afternoon with the trade wind up that he was going to drive the first green. Apparently it hadn't been done to that point, at least in CBM's presence, and CBM was indignant, stating categorically that it couldn't be done. Grace then did drive the green, and CBM walked off furious and wrote Grace out off his will.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2009, 08:18:02 PM »

The hole locations are as follows.

1 is in a bowl protected on the left by the spine and behind it by a rise.
2 is in the back right
3 is up front, but, I don't recall if it was on the spine, which it sometimes is.

TEPaul

« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
jkinney:

Obviously Macdonald's other son-in-law, J. Whigam, could've done that too but apparently he wasn't so naive or blaise about the extent of the consequences of his father-in-law's indignation!  ;)

Whigam was such a clever guy he even let his father-in-law win the first US Amateur before he won his two.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:23:28 AM by TEPaul »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2009, 08:28:18 AM »
My favorite CBM story is about the windmill.  A member suggested that water tower would look much better if it were disguised as a windmill.  After the windmill was built, the member found a bill for its construction in their locker. 

If you haven't heard this story before, then go buy George Bahto's book.  You won't regret it.  Easily my favorite golf book.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2009, 09:37:44 AM »

Whigam was such a clever guy he even let his father-in-law win the first US Amateur before he won his two.

Tom, he also started the myth that CBM designed Merion!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2009, 12:18:54 AM »
I was out of town for a week (in Maui!)

Is NGLA's second hole lurking around here somewhere?

I need another hit of the National!

Ian_L

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2009, 04:04:37 AM »
2 and 3 are already up on separate threads. ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back