GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

NGLA - Golf's enchanted journey

<< < (17/18) > >>

jkinney:
One of the great CBM stories passed down at The National involves a time in the mid 1930's when Macdonald's son-in-law, one of the Grace family and a strapping fellow, declared to CBM one afternoon with the trade wind up that he was going to drive the first green. Apparently it hadn't been done to that point, at least in CBM's presence, and CBM was indignant, stating categorically that it couldn't be done. Grace then did drive the green, and CBM walked off furious and wrote Grace out off his will.

Patrick_Mucci:

The hole locations are as follows.

1 is in a bowl protected on the left by the spine and behind it by a rise.
2 is in the back right
3 is up front, but, I don't recall if it was on the spine, which it sometimes is.

TEPaul:
jkinney:

Obviously Macdonald's other son-in-law, J. Whigam, could've done that too but apparently he wasn't so naive or blaise about the extent of the consequences of his father-in-law's indignation!  ;)

Whigam was such a clever guy he even let his father-in-law win the first US Amateur before he won his two.

John Mayhugh:
My favorite CBM story is about the windmill.  A member suggested that water tower would look much better if it were disguised as a windmill.  After the windmill was built, the member found a bill for its construction in their locker. 

If you haven't heard this story before, then go buy George Bahto's book.  You won't regret it.  Easily my favorite golf book.

Jim Nugent:

--- Quote from: TEPaul on February 09, 2009, 08:21:00 AM ---
Whigam was such a clever guy he even let his father-in-law win the first US Amateur before he won his two.

--- End quote ---

Tom, he also started the myth that CBM designed Merion!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version