News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Re: For the supers - course detailing
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »
It seems to me that golfers are so preoccupied with green speeds that it doesn't allow the super to be as attendant to details as he would like.  Members must also understand that the superintendent is a professional and you must presume that he is knowledgeable - which means you as a member should ask questions and make suggestions, but realize that the super is the one who should make the final decision.  If you do not have the confidence in your super then either you should try to have him replaced or make your suggestions to the greens committee not the super.

Well said.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Michael Rossi

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 09:09:06 AM »
Chris T and Jerry K - excellent choice of words.

Scott Furlong

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 12:43:56 PM »
I feel attention to detail on a golf course is acquired and not a born trait.  For the most part, H.S. and College kids, Interns, Assistants fresh out of College, Hispanic, and local neophyte workers don’t understand it because they have not been exposed.  I know I did not have it when I was younger and I certainly didn’t have it after working one season on a golf course.  It takes time, experience, and exposure to see every imperfection.  Explaining detail jobs to employees requires lots of instruction, follow up, and time.  It’s quick and simple to say go mow the rough.  However, it takes time to explain and show the college kid how to pick the milk weed out of the Day Lilies, in the naturalized area, in front of 11 tee box, when he is thinking what time am I getting off work so I can meet my buddies for happy hour. Time is money.  I’m not saying detail can not be done with a lower budget but priorities will differ.  Grass is a living breathing thing and a club with limited resources must attend to the grass’s every need.  I like  comparing grass to Lance Armstrong.  Even the strongest get sick and sometimes there is no solution but with hard work, research, the best medicine (not talking about doping), the best resources, and a little luck you can turn it around for the better. 

Back to detail.  A program that has worked for us is section management.  We split the crew and property in 3rds.  Each section has its on mini crew and within that crew each person is assigned a hole or two holes for detail jobs.  Detail jobs are unlimited: picking up trash, straighten rope lines, divots, hand watering, edging, rake placement, weeds in bunkers, weeds in beds, bed lines, dead branches, bird s$@t on a bench, etc.  Some of these jobs are done during morning jobs but most are done after.  This has improved our time management and allows us to hold people accountable.  It’s not perfect, there are some glitches and we tweak it every year.  If the turf is stressed detail jobs will wait until tomorrow.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back