News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Elvins

Are courses really that much longer?
« on: June 03, 2002, 07:30:38 PM »

This could be a dud of a topic as it is most likely that no-one has the answer but I will ask the question anyway:

Are alot of modern courses as long as they seem?  It seems to me that architects such as RTJ Jr, Nicklaus, (and from what I read on this board, Fazio), prefer to design alot of holes where the hole is layed out in front of the player with everything to see.  This means that quite often the course plays significanlty downhill with large uphill climbs in the cart between holes.  ie. The actual net elevation change of the playing area is significantly downhill.

Whereas older courses had the tee locate next to the previous green, meaning that the net elevation change over the 18 holes is very close to 0.  ie. For every downhill, there was an uphill.

Does anyone know if this has ever been measured in any meaningful way?

Cheers,

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Dave_Miller

Re: Are courses really that much longer?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2002, 11:17:48 PM »
David:
Really do not know.  May be that the new couses seem longer because as we get older we cannot hit it as far.  Sorry I can't be more help.
Best
Dave Miller

A_Clay_Man

Re: Are courses really that much longer?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2002, 06:04:44 AM »
Yeah I do. I played the new course at Las Campanas yesterday and the experience was illuminating. First off the front side starts out with some very long holes. Not much there in the way of features or character but I did have to hit  3 wood into all the par fours and these holes were as described above, Downhill.( and I played the appropriate tees) THe treks to the uphill tee boxes were just that, treks. The course did build like a good symphany with a really fun backnine save for the mountainous trek from 15 green to 16 tee. Wiped my fat ass out.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back