News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

1960s? Banff Course Map
« on: January 29, 2009, 04:09:02 PM »

I ran across this course map of Banff with hole layouts. The first tee is below the hotel. It was on the back of a scorecard which looked to be from the 50s or 60s and of a size I equate to the period.
   Very interesting to compare it with the map in the new World Atlas of Golf to see the changing in bunker placement and the layout of the first par 3
either 2 or 6 depending on the start.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 04:21:07 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Adam Clayman

Re: 1960s? Banff Course Map
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 11:24:08 PM »
Peter, In the new WAG did they use it as an example of how not to re-configure?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 01:19:28 AM »
Adam,
I found this scorecard in a drawer at the OGA. I only mentioned the WAG remembering that Banff had a course map and looked at it to make the comparison.
Assuming the scorecard map is correct, now the bunkers are smaller. Some movement of the fairway bunkers on two moving toward the green, bunkers on th left of 3 fairway are much smaller as they extended to 16, bunkering on 6 no longer as punishing short right, long left.
Filled in the bunker short right of 9 and the fronting/left bunker on 10. The 2nd shot carry  bunker on 11 is now in the second shot landing zone. Bunkers missing between 15 and 16 greens and the Bow river, but that is very understandable with erosion. Some of the bunkering left of 17 and 18 is gone.
From the size and number of bunkers I would assume the soil was borrowed for raised green complexes, but I may be wrong, again.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:35:41 AM »
Peter

I played Banfff in 1962 and have the scorecard which has exactly the same hole drawings as yours, although no routing.  Somewhere in my files I have a picture of me putting on one of the greens (it looks pretty boring, except for those wee mountains in the background....).

For the record, I shot 109, 101 in my two rounds, trouncing both my brother and my grandmother, neither of whom could break 120.

Rich

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:59:40 AM »
I don't think I'll ever forget hearing the head pro tell us that the green contours were not altered. Only to be walking out of the dining room to see an old photo of the 18th green. In the photo the green had obvious contours resembling that Sitwell park photo only w/ more uniform rolls.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 09:35:13 AM »
This is from a 1953 promotional brochure that folds out. In the interior is multiple pictures of every hole and some other information.

This is the entire back which is24x33 inches.

Please note: I've cropped about 15% to post it - and it's slightly out of line because I photographed it to avoid the flash.

Ryan Chin

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 11:03:48 PM »
Last time I played there was in 1995, but I still remember how dramatic and intimidating that tee shot was from #14 (#1 tee in this picture)!

That course map looks like they stole the graphics from those "All-Star Golf" matches on The Golf Channel. lol

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back