News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

More on the abomination of 5 sets of tees.

I believe it was in Scotland's Gift that I read that the golden age architects discussed converting their 18 hole courses to 12 hole courses, because the game was beginning to be too putting centric. What would that lead to 10 tees per hole? 20? To me this also indicates that the interest needs to be in the obstacles and hazards strewn along the way, not placed at formulaic positions.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff_Brauer

If anything is "fact free" its the oft nostalgic take on golden age architecture taken by proponents of "groupthink" here.  Please take a look at Flynn or Ross plans, etc.  They used dogleg points and put most hazards around those, much as we do today.  IF there are more hazards short of those points, its because they were challenging golfer to CARRY those bunkers, and at some point, the overuse of carry bunkers went out of style.   

That change in gca alone would be a good discussion point on the Darwinian aspects touched on above.  Obviously, clubs and courses in the 1950's found it desireable to take out top shot bunkers, or perhaps the old carry bunkers at about 180 yards.  The drivers were probably;

* Maintenance cost
* Slow Play
* Better Equipment - perhaps carry bunkers just didn't and don't make as much sense as they did in the GA once getting the ball airborne wasn't so hard.
* ANGC - Jones and MacK showed that a good course could be had without lots of bunkers.  Those two giants of the era were proponents of bunkers only to challenge the better player, no?  So why blame "formula" of placing bunkers only at the dogleg on RTJ and beyond, when that movement really started with the king of the Golden Age designers?

*Perhaps, the effects of general trends of the time figured in - in other design fields, it was time of modernization and new looks after WWII.  So, the opinion that a new look is better may have been just that, just as an opinion that the old look of the Golden Age is. 

But taken in total, I have always found it pretty arrogant of those on this board to assume that everyone in the 50's-70's didn't have a clue about why they changed their courses.  Not to mention that we don't take into consideration their finances and how they played the game, from clubs to the bets they made, to the time they had, etc.  No one ever really discusses those dynamics here.  Some simply long for the idea that the playing fields should be preserved in stone.  Matt Ward has it right - its all a matter of perspective, and TF is about as right as T Paul on this one.

Garland, with all due respect, your last two posts make no sense.  Were the Golden Age courses to blame for the decreased play and course closures of the Depression?  As to 5 sets of tees, first, the reason modern gca's build them, in part, is because their are so many players and rounds that bigger tees are necessary.  I am sorry that they piss you off. I guess that you will actually be glad to play them someday, considering the alternative. At least, I am always impressed with just how much senior men still enjoy their golf, even if their days as long hitters are over. 

I see no correlation between the writings of Scotland's Gift and your point.  David Stamm - ditto!  Sorry, maybe I am dense.  As to strewing hazards about, I think I have covered that point.  As to red type, I think I offered my facts/opinions/justifications in the posts on this thread.  Agree or not, there they are.

TEPaul,

I was thinking of something else, my good man.  First, I know you didn't raise the question of "good for who" but your distinguished writings good fellow raised that question in my mind.  It reminded me of, say the 1950's which is remembered so fondly through shows like Happy Days.  But, if you were African American, those times weren't so good.  And while we all lament the poor economy and the downturn in golf here, for African Americans, this is a very giddy and historic time.  Again, as Matt says, its all about perspective. In terms of golf, I believe that the classic Golden Age courses were too macho centered for both women and seniors to enjoy.  Now, that is a very general statement, and the kind I have railed against - it obviously applies to Winged Foot and its man sized courses, but there were many other playable clubs.  Just not playable for those who hit it 135 yards. 

On the other hand, since they were designed for about 200 yard drives, they tended to turn into very enjoyable and playable tracts for senior men who still hit it about that.  Then, modern courses, overly designed (probably to about the same degree) for the top dogs became too long and unenjoyable for those seniors, not to mention 3X harder for women and beginners, perhaps simply because we did need 7000 yard courses to appeal to marketing senses and top players.

This is slightly OT, but I think perhaps courses of the rest of the oughts may forego the back tees and focus on the 6800-6300-5800 and 4500 yard distances that 97% players favor.  And, BTW, Tom Doak isn't the only gca who does this on his courses.  I have noted that TF was always plenty willing to design courses at 6800 yards or so max length, because he sought to design playable, enjoyable courses.

As I said in another FazBash thread - if that turns out to be his legacy - playable courses - I think he can sleep well, perhaps better than JN, TD and a few others whose legacies are tough, tough courses.  Time will tell which architect has more courses remodeled to meet some future needs of their clientele.  I for one think future remodeling will follow closely (with twists) the old days - with most courses remodeled for ease of maintenance and to soften them up.  Only a few of each generation will remain untouched and perhaps that is how it should be.

BTW, I was most intrigued that your first reply to me contained thoughts from Max Behr.  Like you, Maxie was a theorist first, with only a few chances to really employ his craft.  I think this thread should be contained to comparing actual results of the GA to modern results, not theory of an outsider vs results of the modern age.  Just a thought.

Sorry for the OT rant.  I think I was kind of pissed off at some red type questions....right or wrong, there you have it!  Maybe I am pissed off that I haven't figured out how to post in red type!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Garland Bayley

Garland, with all due respect, your last two posts make no sense.  Were the Golden Age courses to blame for the decreased play and course closures of the Depression? 

If courses built in the 1990s are better, then why did they correspond to the beginning of the drop in the quantity of golfers?

What has the depression have to do with it? For that matter, if you are thinking of the current recession, what does that have to do with it? I did not reference the ecomony in my question. If such great courses were built in the 1990s why didn't the golfing population increase as a result? Since the golfing population has been in decline for a while now (before any thought that there would be a recession), why did it follow these better courses being built? Or, as you seem to be claiming the technology for building courses got better, thereby resulting in better courses.

As to 5 sets of tees, first, the reason modern gca's build them, in part, is because their are so many players and rounds that bigger tees are necessary.  I am sorry that they piss you off. I guess that you will actually be glad to play them someday, considering the alternative. At least, I am always impressed with just how much senior men still enjoy their golf, even if their days as long hitters are over. 

Amazing! It is well know that seniors in general refuse to play the forward tees and architects assume they will "actually be glad to play them". This of course is blamed on the male ego. Anyone ever consider blaming on architects' egos that assume they know what is right, and can dictate it?

Also if more real estate is needed for tees, isn't building bigger tees a more straight-forward solution than building more tees seperated by significant distance?

I see no correlation between the writings of Scotland's Gift and your point.  ...

The correlation is that turning an 18 hole course into a 12 hole course would make longer holes. If you think 5 tees are appropriate for each hole of the 18 hole course, does that mean you will be building 10 tees for each hole of the 12 hole course?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

Jeff:

My legacy is going to be tough, tough courses?  Where'd that come from?  My clients are generally concerned that the slope rating came out too LOW.

Jeff_Brauer

TD,

Well, my limited experience playing your courses. But again, I gather its general perception. As you said recently, owners who go to you are asking for a "golf experience" rather than real estate sales.  So, maybe they are concerned with slope ratings that are too low because they want you to design a tough course?

Garland,

I didn't get that the 12 holes was to make sure all the holes were longer from your snippet.  But, even so, I don't think your point translates too well.  In truth, if 6 tees can adequately stretch a course from 4500 to 7500 yards, I don't think 10 tees would be necessary anywhere, but you would have to look at the math.

As to men using the forward tees, I agree  that few men want to use the furthest forward tee, but I see many gladly using the second set, making the fifth tee very valuble if for no other reason than moving men up to where they should be comfortable.  And, while I used to think that the senior tees had to say at least 6000 yards to satisfy the male ego, I have seen surveys and heard opinions that many, many senior men decide where to play based on the scorecard length.  And, in fact, they are starting to shun over 6000 yard courses, knowing that something in the mid to high 5000's range is more comfortable for them to play. 

Accordingly, I am adjusting my designs downward in length, for all but the back tees.  You seem to think all gca's are egotistical bastards, but in reality, we try to design to the clients need based on research, programming and some logic.  BTW, if you have a better suggestion for making courses playable by all than multiple tees, I would love to hear it.

If you didn't mention the economy in both cases (20's and 90's) you should have.  I believe play dropped off a lot in the 1930's.  It probably dropped far more than the 2-3% after 9/11, but I doubt reliable stats exist for that period.  But, anyone who really believes golf course design had more to do with it than economic conditions in either era, is frankly as confused as a breast fed baby in a topless bar. ;)

TEPaul

JeffB:

That's a very good post, your #26. Very, very slowly, I guess, I'm beginning to believe like you apparently do, that a pretty good number on here look at golf course architecture in a somewhat myopic way. This to me does not mean that their perspective is not a good one, perhaps even a very good one but I doubt it will ever influence the majority of what golf architecture is and probably will be.

By the way, Mr. Jeffrey, Sir, Max Behr was definitely more than a theorist. Have you ever heard of Lakeside and its reputation back then?  ;)

TEPaul

"Again, as Matt says, its all about perspective. In terms of golf, I believe that the classic Golden Age courses were too macho centered for both women and seniors to enjoy.  Now, that is a very general statement, and the kind I have railed against - it obviously applies to Winged Foot and its man sized courses, but there were many other playable clubs.  Just not playable for those who hit it 135 yards."

Jeff:

Whatever the majority of Golden Age courses were (too macho or whatever as you say) I do not think you will be able to find a thing historically and statistically to show that women and seniors back then did not enjoy them immensely or for whatever reason played less or that those groups did not enjoy them as much as those same groups enjoy golf today. If they were longer or harder or whatever back then for those groups I suppose those groups must have just looked at golf differently somehow than we (including those groups of women and seniors today) do today!  ;) 

Savy?

TEPaul

TomD:

While I can most certainly understand (and agree with) your feeling about tough courses, who can really claim with any accuracy at all that most of the most famous and perhaps respected golf courses of golf's history have been considered (and probably still are) in the tough to very tough category?

I certainly would hope that no architect insist on doing just tough courses as a steady career diet but nevertheless who can deny the truth of the above?

Perhaps someday there may be a better way of combining both tough and generally playable somehow for all levels of golfer. If that day ever happens I suspect the difficulty will be concentrated far more down on or at the green-end of things and perhaps lightened up somehow on what comes before that area. After-all, one thing we do know is difficulty at or on the green-end at least does not take as much strength as elsewhere on golf holes!  ;)

Jeff_Brauer

My esteemed Mr. Paul,

I was going to add to my post that Behr's work could not have been all that highly thought of, or there would have been more of it left in tact, no? I am not as up on Behr (or should I say, "Loaded for Behr?") as you, but my impression is that not much signature features of Maxie exist anymore. What exactly does that say? I guess we shall never know. But, I am glad to know my missives may be swaying your esteemed opinion!

As to historic documents, I agree that at the very least, I have nothing in my files regarding comments from women on how courses played.  None from seniors, either!  I suspect the seniors kept their pie holes shut for male ego reasons, as Garland stated. And I suspect that even if women were bold enough to speak out on the subject of making the course better for them, their ideas took a long time gaining traction.  My opinion really stems from being at enough courses where women report feeling like "second class citizens", but those occurances only date to the 1970's.  

I doubt it helped that the biggest female voice in Golden Age golf design, Marion Hollins, was the proponent of a 230 yard par 3 over the ocean because SHE could drive it easily!  Perhaps the Babe also had something to do with generalized perceptions that women who played golf just needed to hit it further and/or shut up!  I think it was very fortunate indeed that one Mrs. Alice Dye came along, since her game was great - but more in line with better female players in that it was based on accuracy and finesse (as was her husbands, BTW)  It takes famous voices to alter perceptions, and she took the lead.  

Not that women didn't work to get what they wanted at clubs via making lives miserable for their husbands!  

I have told the story about my Killian and Nugent days when we went back to one club every other year as two husbands traded out being greens chair.  It seemed that one wife could clear the fronting bunkers on a particular par 3 and the other man's wife couldn't.  Thus, as they traded power, one asked us to take out the offending bunkers, and the other asked us to put them back in to give his wife an advantage.  Also, the longer hitting wife's husband felt (with prodding, I'm sure) that all par 4's ought to play about 340 yards - again because at that length, his wife was the only one who could reach them in two shots!

Garland Bayley

Garland,

I didn't get that the 12 holes was to make sure all the holes were longer from your snippet.  ...

That's because it was not to make sure all the holes were longer. Their goal was to reduce the importance of putting and increase the importance of ball striking. The result of trying to satisfy that goal would be to make the holes longer, because they certainly weren't going to throw away 1/3 of the golf course.

Jeff_Brauer

Garland,

I didn't get that the 12 holes was to make sure all the holes were longer from your snippet.  ...

That's because it was not to make sure all the holes were longer. Their goal was to reduce the importance of putting and increase the importance of ball striking. The result of trying to satisfy that goal would be to make the holes longer, because they certainly weren't going to throw away 1/3 of the golf course.

Garland,

Well, if today's 7600 yard tournament courses aren't an argument that putting is not reduced then nothing is.  I think their theory proved wrong.  As always, I could be wrong.

Garland Bayley

...6 tees can adequately stretch a course from 4500 to 7500 yards...

That's not a golf course, that's a cart ball course!
Golf is a walking game! Golf is not a merry walk between tees dispersed over long distances!

What good does it do to place a bunker on a dogleg so that it is 280 yds from the back tee, 250 yards from the next tee, 220 yards from the next tee, 190 yards from the next, and 160 from the last?  The person teeing from the back tees plays a wedge second shot, the person from the next set of tees plays an 8 iron second, the person from the next plays a 6 iron second, the person from the next set of tees plays a 4 iron second, and the person playing from the front tees plays a 5 wood second. What have you gained other than a longer walk from green to tee for the person playing from the forward tees?

Everyone knows they don't hit it as far! Why not let them play the whole way around the course? Provide things of interest interspersed throughout the golf hole, not just at the dogleg corner.

Garland Bayley

Garland,

Garland,

Well, if today's 7600 yard tournament courses aren't an argument that putting is not reduced then nothing is.  I think their theory proved wrong.  As always, I could be wrong.

Would you get over your fixation on length! They wanted to offer only 12 chances to putt in a round of golf, not 18. It has nothing to do with 7600 yard golf courses, etc.

Sean_A

What I find interesting about this thread is that the nuts and bolts of architecture (as the punter sees it), that is to say, the reasons why people look at a course with curiosity, wonderment or disgust, really hasn't changed in all these years.  I couldn't say if 90s design is better than 20s design, but what I can say is there doesn't seem to have been any improvement design concepts.  Where the changes have come is in the engineering/construction and course maintenance/turf sides of the business.  All this really means is that golf can be taken to places which would have been unheard of in the Golden Age.  If archies aren't careful they are gonna start telling themselves they 100% engineer and 100% artist.  To be sure the lines do meld somewhere on the continuum, but archies can't have it all both way.  To be fair, maybe all we can expect from recent archies is to carry on the well laid principles of design - maybe there isn't a whole lot to add.  That said, I have been filled with hope by courses such as Lederach and Tobacco Road and filled with dread with courses like Bald Head Island and The Bear.  I expect it has always been that way and it will always be that way.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Garland Bayley

...You seem to think all gca's are egotistical bastards

No, you're just like Catholics, you've got your dogma, and by golly you're going to stick with it.

...BTW, if you have a better suggestion for making courses playable by all than multiple tees, I would love to hear it.

Your assumption is that multiple tees somehow make courses that weren't playable by all magically playable by all. In reality, many of the courses with multiple tees would have been playable by all with a single tee.

News bulletin! Forced carries created by such things as needless ponds installed by dogmatic GCA prevent courses from being playable by all. That I will grant you, if you put in forced carries, then you will need multiple tees.

Jeff_Brauer

I will grant that the forced environmental zones - including detention ponds required in most areas - are not the best features of modern courses.  I mentioned that we design to a program - and that usually means meeting a host of "other" criteria.  In other words, some of our dogma is set for us.

In some ways, I don't think a longer course for all players is as playable as some here suggest. I really don't see how you can escape the basic math - a 260 yard driver can probably have a course with second shots averaging 160 yards, for a total of about 7000 yards and reach all holes in regulation figures, whereas a 180 yard hitter would need a course a maximum of 6480 to reach all holes in regulation.  If even Tour pros chip and putt at 50% up and down, eventually, the shorter hitter eventually loses out, not to mention doesn't have much fun.  Really, there aren't many people out there who list "the layup shot short of the green" on their top 10 lists of favorite things.....

Sean_A

In some ways, I don't think a longer course for all players is as playable as some here suggest. I really don't see how you can escape the basic math - a 260 yard driver can probably have a course with second shots averaging 160 yards, for a total of about 7000 yards and reach all holes in regulation figures, whereas a 180 yard hitter would need a course a maximum of 6480 to reach all holes in regulation.  If even Tour pros chip and putt at 50% up and down, eventually, the shorter hitter eventually loses out, not to mention doesn't have much fun.  Really, there aren't many people out there who list "the layup shot short of the green" on their top 10 lists of favorite things.....

Jeff

You see, this is the sort of logic Stars fans are reduced to.  There are plenty of golfers out there who play the game as if the score wasn't recorded with pictures.  Let the golfer focus on interesting and achieveable shots and he won't worry about yardage. 

Signed

A Guy Who Doesn't Believe In The Merits of 5 Sets Of Tees

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Peter Pallotta

"In other words, some of our dogma is set for us."

Jeff - I think that's it in a nutshell.  The moderns, for a number of reasons, have more of the dogma set for them than did the select few golden agers whom we remember and whose courses we revere.  I might argue that the moderns perhaps ALLOW that dogma to be set for them (by others) more than did those select few, but in good faith I can't -- from what I can tell, it's not that the golden golden agers were more honourable or more pure, it's just that those who hired them didn't (or couldn't or wouldn't) presume to set the dogma for them. 

Peter

BCrosby

I think it is generally true that architects in the GA operated with fewer constraints.

Which is another reason to take a very long and very deep breath before changing their work so that it will conform with the constraints of our time.

It's like permanently reducing the gene pool.

Bob

Garland Bayley

... I really don't see how you can escape the basic math - a 260 yard driver can probably have a course with second shots averaging 160 yards, for a total of about 7000 yards and reach all holes in regulation figures, whereas a 180 yard hitter would need a course a maximum of 6480 to reach all holes in regulation....

More dogma! Why does everyone have to "reach all holes in regulation figures". There is a thread going on about bogey rating. For some people, reaching the green in one over regulation is entirely appropriate as is the bogey rating a suitable goal for such players.

There was an earlier thread about personal par. Similar idea.

Scratch players typically have course rating for their personal goal. Why humiliate other players by saying they have to play from a shorter tee so that they might reach in regulation. All that means is that some players will be reaching with a wedge from the back tees, while the poor souls told to play from the forward tees are beating their heads against the wall trying to reach the same green with a 5 wood.  That's the true math of the situation. Your shortening the course for shorter players works out to fuzzy math.

Garland Bayley

PS

I was trying to be humorous with the Catholic dogma thing without resorting to smileys. I hope I didn't upset or offend anyone.

TEPaul

"My esteemed Mr. Paul,

I was going to add to my post that Behr's work could not have been all that highly thought of, or there would have been more of it left in tact, no? I am not as up on Behr (or should I say, "Loaded for Behr?") as you, but my impression is that not much signature features of Maxie exist anymore. What exactly does that say? I guess we shall never know. But, I am glad to know my missives may be swaying your esteemed opinion!"

Oh No, Mr. Brauer, you can definitely not assume---you must definitely not assume, that Max Behr's work or particularly his ideas were not highly thought of (by some, including some who are probably most important in golf's history) if his architecture is no longer intact or his revolutionary ideas were not well understood back then! We should NEVER be such slaves to our inaccurate statistics (and interpretations of history) as that!!

Vincent Van Gogh was not exactly highly thought of either in his own time but what difference did that make in the final analysis my Dear Mr. Brauer? ;)

paul cowley

"My esteemed Mr. Paul,

I was going to add to my post that Behr's work could not have been all that highly thought of, or there would have been more of it left in tact, no? I am not as up on Behr (or should I say, "Loaded for Behr?") as you, but my impression is that not much signature features of Maxie exist anymore. What exactly does that say? I guess we shall never know. But, I am glad to know my missives may be swaying your esteemed opinion!"

Oh No, Mr. Brauer, you can definitely not assume---you must definitely not assume, that Max Behr's work or particularly his ideas were not highly thought of (by some, including some who are probably most important in golf's history) if his architecture is no longer intact or his revolutionary ideas were not well understood back then! We should NEVER be such slaves to our inaccurate statistics (and interpretations of history) as that!!

Vincent Van Gogh was not exactly highly thought of either in his own time but what difference did that make in the final analysis my Dear Mr. Brauer? ;)

true....so true....and I love you [two] :-*
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

paul cowley

I think Tom Fazio and his entire Organization is great...top notch and really innovative in the last 30+ years. They have set a standard of success while promoting their style that is pretty damn good.

Seriously, this TF bashing is BS.....and is there is anyone out there of enough stature to debate it?
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Garland Bayley

Paul,

Tom Fazio is on record as saying he can do better than the golden age architects. My reasoning capabilities make me strongly suspect he feels he can do better than you. Do you suspect that he feels that way too?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back