News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Bob Jones
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 03:24:41 PM »
"TEPaul, if it's not you, then I'm stumped...is it you?  I thought so!  Wait, maybe it's me...nope, can't be.  I'm only in it for the advocacy of the devil."

No Ronald, it's not me; it's none other than Tiger Woods his very own self! Something I thought was kinda odd happened just before the 2000 Open at Pebble and I checked with a few people who know him. Tiger cared a great deal about a comparison with Bob Jones and apparently because he understands that Jones was so long ago it will be the most difficult comparison to ever make. Although he surely doesn't advertise it when he's done Tiger Woods wants the world of golf to consider him to be the greatest golfer who ever played the game.

I'm not wanting to take a thing away from Jones and his game, but in my opinion Tiger Woods is already there and he has been for some time now!

PThomas

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 03:30:13 PM »
Eldrick would have more second place trophies than a Southern Civil War battlefield.

Bogey

1st nomination for 2009 Line of the Year!
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »

Also, there are something like 25 or 30 times more golfers than in Bobby's day.  The game, both pro and amateur, has exploded in popularity.  That works against Bobby, too, IMO.   He was a huge fish in a small pool.  Could he still be a huge fish in an ocean? 

I think Jim is really on the right track when it comes to these kind of discussions.  Back then how many Vijay Singhs, Ernie Els, Retief Goosens, Sergio Garcias, Camillo Villejas, KJ Chois, etc, etc, were even in the game? 

Correct me if wrong, but its my understanding it was mostly just a British Isles and North American game.  How can we even begin to compare it to todays broad depth of talent.  Especially when you throw in that even in America, golf was hardly accessible to the common guy, only the wealthy.

Yes, Tom Paul is ultimately correct, it cannot be proven either way how Tiger and Jones would match up, but at least we can compare what kind of talent pool they had to go up against...and Tigers competition seems to be leaps and bounds above who Jones vanquished.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »
All right lads, gang up on me...I'll have at you:

Sadlowski is a one-trick pony...If that's what you want for Bobby, so be it.  It takes more than one trick to be today what Bobby was then.

Anthony Kim can "break ankles" of opposing ball players in hoops.  He was raised on meaner streets than Jones could have ever know.  I'd take Kim v. Jones for all the marble in the Vatican.

You asserted that someone of Jones' stature is incapable of playing "anything like Tiger" and I pointed out one player who is 5'10" 165 and would drop mail over Tiger's best drive 100/100 times (and who plays at scratch), and another guy who is 5'9" and leaves nothing to be desired in the distance category, and the best you can come up with is the above? 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mike Benham

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 04:37:36 PM »
All right lads, gang up on me...I'll have at you:

Sadlowski is a one-trick pony...If that's what you want for Bobby, so be it.  It takes more than one trick to be today what Bobby was then.

Anthony Kim can "break ankles" of opposing ball players in hoops.  He was raised on meaner streets than Jones could have ever know.  I'd take Kim v. Jones for all the marble in the Vatican.

You asserted that someone of Jones' stature is incapable of playing "anything like Tiger" and I pointed out one player who is 5'10" 165 and would drop mail over Tiger's best drive 100/100 times (and who plays at scratch), and another guy who is 5'9" and leaves nothing to be desired in the distance category, and the best you can come up with is the above? 

I think Ty Webb is the only golfer I know that measures himself against other golfers by height.

And how do we know that Bob Jones would be able to adapt his swing to modern equipment?   

Is having great hands a requirement for the modern swing?  Perhaps his knees might not be able to handle the stress of the modern swing?

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 05:29:22 PM »
With all we know about the poor conditions, clubs and balls back in the day, the countless testimonies about the brilliance of Jones and that he won an awful lot of championships, it amazes me to think folks don't think Jones would fare well today.  Not that it matters, but this is a load of nonsense.  Some day you doubters will learn enough to know that these guys could play.  A great champion from back in the day is every bit as good as the later great champions.  Mind you, I am thinking of a very select list of probably less than 20 golfers.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 05:43:31 PM »

Well, Kevin, no.  It's not the best, but it's all that this thread deserves.  It's certainly better than that second-place line that Paul Thomas finds so inspiring.  Address the Sadlowski one-trick pony aspect of my comment, would you?  If Sadlowski is so good, why is he competing on the LD Tour?  Kim is like Tiger, an athlete who golfs.  By his own testimony, he used to run with the OU varsity basketball team during his two years there and more than held his own against the starting point guard.  Jones was a coddled, pampered chap who played great golf against professionals and amateurs alike.

Do I think that he would still have been great?  Yes.  Would he have been as great?  Of course not.  Would Tiger of Today, transported back to the 1920s, have erased many names from the record books?  Of course.  Tiger is the beneficiary of all the advances in psychology, fitness training, and money.  Send his mind and body back to the roaring twenties and folks would not have drunk near as much as they did!  Bobby today might be as into fitness as Tiger, but who knows.  Maybe his grandpa, the Colonel, would have tried some of Earl Woods' tricks on young Tyre.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 06:45:32 PM »
Sorry to be a little late but, Jones game went to hell with steel shafts. The old article I was reading said he lost it because of the lack of feel in the steels. Having played both, I can say he would still find the clubs lacking enough in feel to not be able to rise above the competition. On the other hand, he had more shots than any five pro's today combined not including the over 50 guys.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 06:52:37 PM »
Sorry to be a little late but, Jones game went to hell with steel shafts. The old article I was reading said he lost it because of the lack of feel in the steels. Having played both, I can say he would still find the clubs lacking enough in feel to not be able to rise above the competition. On the other hand, he had more shots than any five pro's today combined not including the over 50 guys.

So if I took the shots from Tiger, Phil, Corey Pavin, Padraig Harrington, and Sergio, and rolled them all into one, Bob Jones would have more shots?  ::)  ::)

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 06:53:35 PM »

So if I took the shots from Tiger, Phil, Corey Pavin, Padraig Harrington, and Sergio, and rolled them all into one, Bob Jones would have more shots?  ::)  ::)

yes
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back