News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Re: Can American caddying be rejuvenated?
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »

thanks Clint !  Love Chicago

JES  ... the poet would be  Explosion Hair Smitty not to be confused with Riverton Smitty..  Politician Smitty   or Billy Smith

don't have time for stories but will respond at some point   cheers

JESII

Re: Can American caddying be rejuvenated?
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2009, 09:50:55 AM »
Riverton Smitty had become Riverboat Smitty by the time I showed up in about '95...one day ha and I are in the parking lot getting our group situated and ready to go and he reaches for the umbrella to take it out and leave it in the trunk and the guy responds something to the effect of 'how heavy could an umbrelly be?' And Riverboat says..."I'll tell you what, stick a 2 lb weight under the saddle of a 1,200 lb horse and see how you feel laying a hundred bucks on it..."

Priceless.

TEPaul

Re: Can American caddying be rejuvenated? New
« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2009, 03:08:44 PM »
Sully:

I've had Pine Valley Poet Smitty a bunch of times. I think the first time he asked me if I minded hearing some poetry and I told him of course not. After that whenever I got him (John Ott and I had him a lot) he'd just come out with one on his own when he felt the urge. I loved it. He might've even recited some poetry during a Crump Cup. He didn't read it though because I think he wrote everything he ever recited to me.

But I actually remember the first time when we were over a shot to the 7th green that's when I realized when the time comes to get down to golf he sure does, then we hit the shot and start talking about others things again or he'd just fire off one of his poems. I never thought much about golf during shots anyway so I loved that kind of thing. Smitty is unique that way, that's for sure!

One time I actually told him I just saw one of those Indians he often wrote poetry about peeking out of the woods. That made him laugh but I looked at him without a trace of a smile and told him I was absolutely serious, I really did see an Indian. We always got along just great.

By the way, sorry I didn't call. I forgot my cell phone charger and the phone was about dead. Give me a call at your convenience.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 03:14:27 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back