News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Eddie de Rothschild and George Zahringer
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:28:16 PM »
Here is an Obit of  Eddie de Rothschild in today's NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/business/worldbusiness/21rothschild.html?_r=1&ref=obituaries

A wonderful man who would come out to California and play in Roger Lapham's Fallen Angels Tourney.

One year George Zahringer and partner won the event and a sizeable Calcutta. The following year he was paired with Eddie, who was the worlds worst 36 handicap, they didn't win.

Al Crutcher, CPC member, had a house on the second hole and had, what he thought, was some fine rhododendrons. He asked Eddie to look them over. Eddie went over
for a drink and looked at a dozen of Al's flowers and opined that euthanasia was probably the kindest thing that could happen to them.

He was the kindest man I ever met  and the sharpest. We shall not see his kind again.

Bob

Peter Pallotta

Re: Eddie de Rothschild and George Zahringer
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:54:04 PM »
Bob -

I happened to read that obituary earlier today, and was struck by his role in what was an early example of private-public partnerships, i.e. the huge hydro-electric facility in Newfoundland.  I had to read it several times before I could believe my eyes: he made 400 (400!) trips to Canada while seeing that project through. That told me all I needed to know about his professionalism and dedication.  And then the 800 rhododendron hybrids he developed on his estate just sealed the deal -- that was passionate and eccentric enough to qualify him for the Amateur-Expert Hall of Fame.

Thanks for sharing that story.

Peter

Dave_Miller

Re: Eddie de Rothschild and George Zahringer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »
Here is an Obit of  Eddie de Rothschild in today's NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/business/worldbusiness/21rothschild.html?_r=1&ref=obituaries

A wonderful man who would come out to California and play in Roger Lapham's Fallen Angels Tourney.

One year George Zahringer and partner won the event and a sizeable Calcutta. The following year he was paired with Eddie, who was the worlds worst 36 handicap, they didn't win.

Al Crutcher, CPC member, had a house on the second hole and had, what he thought, was some fine rhododendrons. He asked Eddie to look them over. Eddie went over
for a drink and looked at a dozen of Al's flowers and opined that euthanasia was probably the kindest thing that could happen to them.

He was the kindest man I ever met  and the sharpest. We shall not see his kind again.

Bob

Wow what life.  Bob you certainly know some very interesting individuals.
Best
Dave

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back