News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Belvedere Golf Club - Michigan
« on: January 16, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »
I noted this course being mentioned as an add-on for the Kingsley Club event.  I had the good fortune of playing Black Diamond Ranch last year with the head professional Lynn Janson, a fine gentleman with plenty of game.  He is acquainted with Mike DeVries and I mentioned hoping to play Kingsley Club one day.  After encouraging me to do so Lynn absolutely RAVED about Belvedere being nearby. 

Any insight beyond the club's web-site?

Mike   
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Adam Clayman

Re: Belvedere Golf Club - Michigan
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 05:21:01 PM »
Michael, Belvedere is often mentioned on a short list of courses worthy of seeing in Michigan. What's interesting is who makes these said recommendation.
I'd categorize them as sophisticated.

While I did not play it, I did a quick tour and appreciated what looked like a solid fun golf course. Filled with "little things" those who need to be wowed, would likely gloss over, ultimately considering it no big deal.

In that sense, it is a course that could be much better than it's current presentation. If you do stop by, make sure to look at the old aerial in the pro shop, and, then imagine what could be again.

There should be several old threads on this course.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »
Thanks, Adam.  I should have indeed searched the site before popping off:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36673.0.html

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,330.0.html

Hope you're well.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 05:35:32 PM by Michael_Hendren »

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:33:16 PM »
Belvedere is a wonderful course. A Doak associate (name escapes me) is restoring some of the Willie Watson features, though I don't know how far along he is.

Other than Crystal Downs, Belvedere is a great choice for a group from the treehouse.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:34:54 PM »
I haven't played there, but understand it has been the long time host of the Michigan Amateur or Open or some other annual event.

There is a whole lot of very good golf in that area, starting of course with Crystal Downs and Kingsley Club.  I really like Forest Dunes, and there is a lot to love at Arcadian Bluffs.

And some decent restaurants in Traverse City.   I'd love to get back up there this summer.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 05:36:49 PM by Bill_McBride »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »

Put me down as a huge Belvedere fan! What a absolute fun course to play.  I would gladly play it again.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 06:38:27 PM »
I like Belvedere quite a bit.  Understated is the word I'd use to describe it.  It has plenty of strategy and plenty of options.  The only knock on Belvedere, as Ed Getka put it last time we spoke, is that the greens dont measure up to the rest of the course.  They tend to be less interesting than the rest of the course and especially so considering it is often grouped in with Crystal Downs, Kingsley and High Pointe among us treehouse folk (and those like us).

Still, great course and I'm happy to be just a few minutes down the road from it during the summers.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »
a pretty good course but definitely not great...Doak gave it a 5, that's about right, i think
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 10:03:38 PM »
A marvelous afternoon of fun.Rating OK but not required.

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 10:18:17 PM »
Belvedere is a course I think would be great to introduce your kids to the game. The setting is fantastic, the land is pretty interesting in spots, there are some good holes, but my overall impression was why the heck do people rave about this course.
   Fortunately we had a glorious day and had the course to ourselves (the last day of the season). However, at the end of the day I was bummed that I could have golfed 36 holes at High Point, Kingsley or Crystal Downs instead.
    It shouldn't be long before Tom Huckaby chimes in. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 10:44:37 PM »
Bogey,

I'd put it this way.

If the pictures in that first thread you found on your search appeal to you, then I would very much agree and happily send you to Belvedere.

It's Hidden Creek subtle X 2, with bunkers that look more Olympic Lake simple than Hidden Creek hairy.

The land is a bit more interesting than HC, but there are few man-made features and none of them scream for attention.   A few of them do whisper in your ear, however.

If you're a TRUE fan of Pinehurst, and not just of the Pinehurst reputation, you would likely enjoy Belvedere.

Ed is right that it is a course where one might easily look around and say, "what's all the fuss"?

Yet, I believe the real beauty of Belvedere is that it doesn't make the answer to that question obvious in the first place.

Hope that helps.

Tim Bert

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 11:22:37 PM »
Mike D. steered us there last September during our visit to northern Michigan.  Belvedere is a splendid course.  I don't think those of us on the trip had any regret that we played it instead of our originally planned round at Arcadia Bluffs.  It's a load of fun.     

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »
I try to play it at least once a year....love the place.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 04:20:26 AM »
Bogey

If you are on an extended trip (say 5 days) of the northern Lower, than I believe Belvedere is a must see not only because of the convenience of its location in relation to other must sees.  Its old time golf and something archies should look toward as an example of frugal design which is easy to maintain and is yet interesting to play.  If time is limited, hit Belvedere on your next trip.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Chuck Brown

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 09:14:19 AM »
Belvedere is a perfect stop for a GCA group.  It did indeed rate a Doak 5, which I agree is about right.  It would merit a higher rank on "charm" factors and perhaps a lower rank on some "challenge" factors.  The constantly repeated story is that Tom Watson's family regularly summered away from the Kansas City heat at a cottage in the Charlevoix area, and Tom played Belvedere often, and calls it one of his favorites.  The story is no doubt true, but probably a little threadbare too.  I am glad that someone in the Doak firm is looking after it.

For many years, the Michigan Amateur was contested over two courses in northwest Michigan.  Medal play qualifying was held at Antrim Dells (south of Belvedere), with match play conducted at Belvedere.  And that, I thought, was a very good way to conduct the competition.  (Other formats and locations have been utilized in subsequent years; with the wealth of choices of northern Michigan resort courses, there were other course options with more convenient and modern accomodations and accoutrements.)   I think that GCA visitors will be very admiring of the test that Belvedere can provide as a match play course.  "A fine little course" is how Mr. Doak described it.

(By the way, if you have the time, there is no reason to avoid Antrim Dells.  Tom Doak accurately described it as "A well-liked public course... with a few good holes..." with some "sameness" to perhaps too many of them with flanking bunkers.  A Doak 4.  Antrim Dells' back nine winds through some spectacular woods and is a dleightful tour if not an inspiring golf course architecture tutorial.)

Dunmaglas is another course nearby to Belvedere that is worth seeing if you have the time.  Also a Doak 5, it merited some discussion in The Confidential Guide.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:06:02 PM by Chuck Brown »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 09:38:58 AM »
Belvedere is quite the mix of simplicity and fun.  It's also a top 100 vibe kind of place.  The tiny golf shop was a good sign.

Here's a look at the tee shot on the first hole.  It's 370 yards and appears to be an easy start.

And the approach shot on the first.  I really liked how the fairway sloped from right to left and pretty much blended into the hillside.   Makes that front left greenside bunker really stand out.

Here's the first hole from behind the outstanding first green.  This green was a good introduction to the rest of the course as they were all quite interesting and fun to putt.

Here's the first green from the 9th tee.  Note the way short left balls get funneled back to the bunker.

The fourth green viewed from #1 tee.

The fourth is a 200+ yard par three.  This photo is from about 40 yards short of the green.  I really like the setting of this green.

A few pictures from the seventh.  It's about a 430 yd uphill climb to another great green.

Can't decide if I like the solitary tree behind the 8th green or want to get rid of it.

I'll post more photos later if you're interested. 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 09:38:07 PM by John Mayhugh »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 11:20:23 AM »
John,

I'd love to see a few more photographs.  Regardless of how "good" the course it, it would appear to fit right into my wheelhouse.

MIke

Chuck Brown

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 01:03:52 PM »
Wow.  The course is looking very good indeed in those pictures (which are also good.)  I confess to having seen nothing of what Renaissance Golf Design has done there.  But whatever is going on, it is good.  Not surprising, either.

btw -- The moment that Geoff Shackelford introduced his new blog feature, "Golf As It Was Meant To Be Played," about a week ago, I immediately e-mailed to him one nomination from the state of Michigan:  Belvedere.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 02:18:26 PM by Chuck Brown »

ed_getka

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 01:27:47 PM »
John,
   Please post at least one picture of each hole if possible. You sort of cherry-picked most of the interesting spots on the course. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

George Freeman

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 02:10:46 PM »
The only knock on Belvedere, as Ed Getka put it last time we spoke, is that the greens dont measure up to the rest of the course.  They tend to be less interesting than the rest of the course...

JC (and Ed),

I couldn't disagree more.  My thoughts of Belvedere were the exact opposite.  I thought the greens (for the most part) really defined and made the course.

I think Belvedere has a really great set of "old feeling", undulating greens.  Some good one off the top of my head (I've only played the course once):  1, 4, 6, 7, 9!, 10, 11!!!, 16.

Belvedere is a fun, interesting, and charming golf course.  It will never knock anyone's socks off, however I think it is a course that would grow on you more and more as your rounds there increase.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

David Neveux

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
I must confess to having never played here although it's been on my radar for like 6 years. 

One quick comment, the pictures (albeit there are only a few) on first glance appear to resemble Muskegon CC.  I wonder if anyone who's played both can comment? 

John,

Please post more pictures.  I'm not sure I've ever seen much of the course via photograph, but have actually recommend the course to friends based on word of mouth from the people I trust; namely this website.

Nev

BCrosby

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 02:59:31 PM »
Maybe I've got my holes confused, but I remember the 17th as having a green benched into a hill, set at an angle to the fw. I thought it a terrific par 4. But I imagine it wouldn't show well in a photo.

There are many holes like that at Belvedere. Willie Watson relied a lot on contour and that is hard to capture in a picture.

Not a course that will make you forget Crystal Downs, but a wonderful classic Golden Age course that surely rates better than a Doak 5. Definitely worth a visit if anywhere nearby.

Bob 

Brian Cenci

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »
Played there last year and I liked the layout and most of the holes however there were a few holes that IMO felt like a goat track (2, 3, 5).  I'm glad the course picked up because after the 3rd hole I thought "this place is so overated."  The back is much more interesting and I did like the green complexes, although the day I played it they were like at a 7 on the stimp.  My overall assessment as a Classic course is that it is solid and in Northern Michigan is certainly one of the better older courses.  I did get the feeling the more I played the more I would like it.  The special thing about the course is the use of the cliffs on the front nine (holes 1 and 9) and then on the back the use of the topography and undulating ground.  There are some great risk reward holes on the back too (#16 short par 4 and #15 short par 5).

Dave mentioned Muskegon CC and there are a lot of similarities (elevated tees, feel of the course) but I think Muskegon is a little bit better track.  Sorry but the pictures I'm posting are all I have.  The first three are of number 9 and the last one of number 10 approach.  I was playing with some clients the day I played and didn't have time to act like Mr. Wang taking pictures of the parking lot and all.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:04:27 PM by Brian Cenci »

George Freeman

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »
Maybe I've got my holes confused, but I remember the 17th as having a green benched into a hill, set at an angle to the fw. I thought it a terrific par 4. But I imagine it wouldn't show well in a photo.

I'm pretty sure you're referring to #16.  17 is a par three parallel w/ the road.

George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

BCrosby

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 03:18:53 PM »
Thanks George. I stand corrected. I was thinking of the 16th. A bugger of a little hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back