News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Vandelac

Re: New Colt book - photo of Colt, Alison, Morrison et al. No Mackenzie
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 02:26:31 AM »
Watching the Winter Classic yesterday...I could have sworn the Dr. was on the bench for Chicago.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Someone sent me another pic of Alison, he's a bit older than he was in those 1903 shots, but certainly well prior to the 1930 ones. Can't say I see Alison in the group photo at all.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 05:47:40 PM »
Dale Concannon has told me that the photograph has a hand written caption on the rear stating "Meeting of golf course architects Londn."

He also says that C K Cotton is in the photograph also. Which one I do not know. A number of the others look awfully young to be golf course architects to me. Curious.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »

Could be anyone?

Here’s another image from the book that really impressed me (when I first saw it).  I think it's another of Dale Concannon's.

Is that really Alison?  Or could it be the guy on the right- looks tall and rangy?

This picture shows up the many faults of the book. Yes it’s a competent introduction to Colt and his world, yes it has some lovely images of golf holes but if your house catches fire you won’t be trying to save it like you might Bahto/MacDonald or Doak/MacKenzie. Why not?  Doubts; big Mark Frost sized doubts.  There is no acreditisation for most of the ‘facts’.

Sometimes it’s the tone used and sometimes it’s the facts, I’ve just started dipping in and the following alarm me.

EG

Colt’s first course was Rye?  Not according to that freely available classic, British Golf Links.

Colt started working with Suttons in 1911?  Wrong by two years.

There’s no written history of Swinley?  One was published this year, proper research would have uncovered this.

There are several others like this and I can’t be bothered to go back through the book for them.

Then there's stuff like

We are told that Colt knew Franks Harris and Co and persuaded them to enter Golf Course Construction. Why that’s fascinating, how did they find that out?

They repeat the often told story that Colt made changes to Sunningdale (1901) in the next 12 years to accommodate the “rubber cored ball”. Well I think Park already knew this ball was coming when the course was designed and the Sunningdale history says Colts changes were limited. But what really irks is in the Blackmoor chapter where we learn Colt laid out 13 holes between 1911 and 1914. After the war “In early 1922, Harry Colt had redesigned part of the original course, probably to compensate for the Haskell Ball.”  Cake and eat it anyone?

And then there’s the whole ethos.  What is a nice but limited track like Borth doing in a collection of purportedly Classic courses? From reading this you’d never guess that his role was limited to restoring a few holes at the far end of the course that the military had sequestered in WW2.  There are a no of marginal courses in the book where Colt’s involvement was limited and that does give credence to a rumour that surfaced on here not long ago.

And the pictures apear to be selected for their prettyness rather than relevance.  From the chapter on Formby they focus on giving Colt  credit for holes no's 5, 7, 12 and 18.  There are lovely pictures of The cClubhouse, 7, 12, 11 and 16.

I have to confess that I’m disappointed.  It’s virtually impossible to get a copy of the earlier book by Hawtree, Colt & Co, which maddening though it can be, gives much more information and a better appreciation of the man and his many accomplishments. The text here us mostly a 'lite' version of it served up lukewarm, with some very average course reports added. New information is secreted here and there, and is mostly from club histories quoted. This is not the book I was hoping for,  although I can see it’s been designed to reach out beyond the 1500 on here.  If you have nothing on Colt and are interested then you’ll want a copy, but please remember it’s far from the last word on one of, if not the,  most important figure(s) in GCA history.

Text 3/10.   Pictures 6/10
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:14:44 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if one of these guys was Tippet?  Almost forgot -- I can identify the man in the light suit just over Colt's right shoulder.  It's none other than Sean Penn!

Mark

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 07:43:02 PM »
Tony
I think the captions in this book are simply made up, they just don't have a clue. Neither Morrison nor Alison are in that construction photo. However, the person third from left holding the plan with the hat does look a lot like the man in the second row of the group photo that someone suggested might be Fowler. Certainly it can't be Fowler. And would not Alison have mostly been in the US in 1925?

And the photo of CK Cotton is not readily identifiable as any particular person in that photo, I agree.

Certainly you have raised some particular doubts about the Colt book and it does seem a pretty slapdash approach in places. And the course selection does seem odd.

Mark
Thanks for that helpful identification. I suppose Jimmy Hoffa is in there too!

Neil
Neil

David Stamm

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »

I have to confess that I’m disappointed.  It’s virtually impossible to get a copy of the earlier book by Hawtree, Colt & Co, which maddening though it can be, gives much more information and a better appreciation of the man and his many accomplishments. 

Tony, if you find 2 copies, let me know. I haven't had much luck either.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Neil_Crafter

David Stamm

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
David
You never specified that you wanted a bargain!
Miracles take a little longer........

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back