News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

British Aerial 16
« on: December 16, 2008, 01:56:08 PM »
A personal favourite, I've rotated this about 90 degrees to the right so that it fits the screen better.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re: British Aerial 16
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:18:12 PM »
Is it in the north west of England near Manchester?

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:42:34 PM »
It is amazing how little an aerial reveals about a course unless you are familiar with the terrain.  These courses all look the same to me. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:28:02 PM »
Mark -

I am curious. There is a line that more or less runs horizontally right across the middle of the picture thru a grove of trees. Is it a stream, a foot path or a road?

DT
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:03:43 PM by David_Tepper »

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:23:06 AM »
I've not played it but I think I know it? Trying to think of a cryptic clue but not sure I can so I'm off fishing...

David, there is a road and a railway line cutting across the course.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 04:53:50 AM »
It is not in the north west of England. Those are road and railway as James suggests, and I imagine the white line is a county boundary.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 06:41:08 AM »
Right, I have it... Took me a while because I haven't played it but it was the County Boundary clue that allowed me to get it first guess after...

How do you rate this course, Mark, James?... Better than any of its well known nearish neighbours?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 06:44:29 PM »
OK, it's Liphook. I have always had a soft spot for it. It's reputed to be an Arthur Croome original, with a few alterations. It was in a dangerous state when last I played it - a female member was killed trying to cross the old A3 on that very day. At least the whole thing is now by-passed.

Purists will say that it is now over-treed compared with its utterly barren original, but the trees make a number of holes on today's course.

If I had to put a course into a time capsule to represent the English heathland I'd be quite tempted to put Liphook. Advocates for Sunningdale, The Berkshire, Walton Heath, Woking, West Sussex and others are welcome to refute me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back