News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Re: How Darwin Defined a Great Course; What Would You Say Meets His Criteria?
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 11:25:16 AM »
TEP - I would love to see it.

Bob

Rich Goodale

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 04:10:36 AM »
Me too.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 07:01:57 AM »
MarkB:

I'm not too sure how you got from this:

"Great strategic holes primarily challenge thought.  Knowledge of what to do is not immediate.  It must be sought."

To this:

"So great architecture is by definition inaccessible (or at least very difficult to access)?"

;)

If knowledge is not immediate but must be sought, the architecture cloaks the answer. Ergo inaccessibility.  Isn't this the opposite of "all right there in front of you"?

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
"Isn't this the opposite of "all right there in front of you"?"

Mark:

Pretty much but that doesn't mean the opposite of "it's all there right in front of you" is inaccessibility. All one needs to do is think a little bit and the idea is it will become accessible!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:01:56 AM by TEPaul »

BCrosby

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 09:09:20 AM »
Mark reminds me that there two kinds of uncertainty involved here.

When you are standing on the tee, you might be uncertain about (a) what your strategic alternatives are, or (b) what strategic alternative is the best.

When Simpson, Behr and (maybe) Darwin talk about great holes being hard to nail down, I think they mean both kinds of uncertainty. I would think, however, that the uncertainty you find in most great holes is of the (b) type.

Bob

TEPaul

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 09:12:14 AM »
Bob:

I believe you are exactly right in how they would cast it----eg some amount of uncertainty. I do not think they would consider the idea of "inaccessiblity" to be in any way synonymous!  ;)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 09:22:27 AM »
Tom, how are you defining inaccessibility? I take it to mean something along the lines of not apparent or obvious, like hidden behind a veil.

Bob, excellent post. Yes, we've discussed in the past a concept from game theory known as dominant strategy (aka corner solutions or Cournot-Nash Equilibrium).

A hole with no dominant strat meets two of Darwin's vy interesting criteria in the last part of his quote.

The inclusion of the wind adds an entirely new, more challenging dimension in this regard and would seem to demote the strat quality of holes that tend to play in a prevailing wind (or no wind) and therefore do not change in this regard from day to day.

Does this make Riviera 10 and Royal Melbourne West 10 lesser holes? Which holes not on TOC meet all three of his criteria?

Mark

TEPaul

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 06:42:33 PM »
"Tom, how are you defining inaccessibility? I take it to mean something along the lines of not apparent or obvious, like hidden behind a veil."

MarkB:

I didn't use "inaccessibility" to describe what I was talking about. You used it and that definition you just provided seems OK. I prefer Bob's use of the word uncertainty to describe what I believe we're talking about.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back