News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Reverse Thumb-Print Green?
« on: December 16, 2008, 09:32:33 AM »
Is there an example where the thumb-print is in the BACK of the green - on a short hole or otherwise?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Anthony Gray

Re: Reverse Thumb-Print Green?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:12:45 AM »

Mike,

Two examples I can think of at the back of the green would be 12 and 16 of TOC. Thumb-print run offs back portion of the green. I wish I could scan the course guide.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »
The tenth green at Forrest Richardson's redesigned Peacock Gap in San Rafael, Calif has a really nice thumb print, a perfect circle, in the back half of the green.  There's no drain in the bottom, so that green obviously drains very well.

Mike Mosely

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:12:19 PM »
I know one on the side...16 at Stonebridge by our own George Bahto

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 06:49:48 AM »

Is there an example where the thumb-print is in the BACK of the green - on a short hole or otherwise?

I think most of the thumb prints by SR and CB may be.

I would cite hole # 7 on the 4th nine at Montclair as a short hole where the thumb print is toward the back of the green.

I think of the ridge that forms your thumb print more along the lines of a horseshoe.  The higher the ridge, the more strategic the ridge, especially when the green falls off steeply as it does on # 7.

There are some incredible hole locations available on this green, especially those between the outer edge of the horseshoe and the perimeter of the green.  The steep falloff warns the golfer not to go for the pin, but, shots hit wide of the pin now have to traverse the ridge, sometimes more than once. 

I think this simple feature presents a spectacular dilema for the golfer.

It makes these short holes diabolical.

On the scorecard and standing on the tee, they look easy, but, I"ve seen many a golfer, including myself, take some big numbers.

I think they're fabulous holes.

Years ago I posted a picture of the horseshoe at Forsgate on this site.
Perhaps someone can retrieve it.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:33:34 AM »
Patrick,

is this your thread?  The pic doesn't show up in my view

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bb8400543f80b35b6f649b520ec76ab6&topic=17528.0

Search on "forsgate thumbprint" yields this one from this year by Steve Hyden.  It does look challenging!

I daresay if a modern architect designed a hole like the 13th at Forsgate (below) or built another unbelievable green such as the 16th at North Berwick, he'd be roundly criticized for being contrived, causing maintenance nightmares, etc.  Yet we treasure such holes.  What does it take for such features to pass from goofy to classic.

Good Luck!

Patrick Boyd

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »
Of the Shorts I've played, the 18th at Old White has the thumb print as far back as I've seen.....it might also be the most pronounced.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 01:25:31 PM »
Thanks for the excellent photograph.  Now imagine this was a FRONT hole location:

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back