GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Kingsley Club..A neoclassic

(1/4) > >>

NAF:
I was extremely fortunate to play what I consider a neo  classic this past weekend, The Kingsley Club.  Mike DeVries has created a great course that more people on this site should make the pilgrimage up to Traverse City to see.  He has developed a course that evokes Sand Hills, Crystal Downs and parts of Shinnecock in my estimation.  Little dirt was moved, incredible use of the natural undulations of a good piece of property combined with Maxwell like greens and wonderful bunker shaping.  The course review here pretty much sums up the course.. Some of my highlights:

1st Hole-Downwind and a lot of fun. Try over the cluster of bunkers (ala Dr. Mac's 4th at Royal Mel) and gain the run down the hill. You have a shot for it in 2 but the green which lies in a natural saddle is a tough target to go at.

2nd Hole-Downwind par 3 with a wedge..but boy is that target hard to hit. The green is much wider than it is long..Reminded me of some links hole I have played in the UK.

4th hole-what a spine of a fairway..tremendous movement..only a great tee shot will find a level lie.

6th hole..With the wind and the contours I almost drove the hole (337yd) by accident.  It tightens up near the hole and is heavily bunkered but a great fun short par 4.

12th hole- Wonderful looking hole, reminded me a bit of #14 at Shinnecock in the way that it looks so natural thru a valley.  

13th hole-280 yard par 4 with one of the most interesting green complexes I have played.

16th hole-A redanish par 3 which is great fun to play and is built naturally into the side of a hill.

17th hole..A wild par 5 where you can gain 50yds of roll if you drive the crest of the hill (270yds out)..

The head pro and the people at KC are first class.  They were incredibly nice and when the clubhouse etc are all finished this club is going to be amazing.  How it was ranked 98 on Golfweek 100 best modern is beyond me.  As more raters go I imagine this course will become top 20 and it deserves it.  I really wished I had another chance to play there.  It was great fun and would be my course if I lived near it.

Matt_Ward:
NAF:

I can't say enough as well for TKC. Played the course last year and was absolutely enthralled in the manner in which the course ebbs and flows so well throughout the round. You simply can't wait to play the next stroke -- the next hole.

Unfortunately, too many people may trek to Arcadia Bluffs and some will only opt to see Crystal Downs when in the area. TKC is no less than a solid 8 on the Doak scale in my book and I agree completely with you Noel that for the course to finish 98th on the GolfWeek modern listing is beyond any sort of explanation.

For those who prefer their golf firm and fast and to have a plethora of options on each and every golf shot I say run, don't walk, and get to TKC. With just a wee bit more exposure you are easily talking about a golf course that should crack anyone's top 100 courses in America.

After having played 92 of the current GD listing I know I'd put the club no less than a borderline top 50 layout among my own personal 100 best. I know many who read this post will snicker and say that's saying plenty. Well, in my mind, TKC deserves such attention because you are never bored with any shot.

Kudos to Mike DeVries and a hearty thanks to the most friendly of staff you will meet in the game today. TKC is a course that will simply grow and grow in stature as more and more golfers sample the sheer qualities it brings forward time after time. ;)

P.S. I just had to add that I rate the 15th hole at TKC as one of the most demanding long par-4's you can play -- particularly with the approach shot. I also urge the club to keep the green dimensions the same size. It's good to have a hole that makes the boys a bit uneasy when they're ready to play their approach shot from 180-200 yards away. ;D

Nick_Christopher:
NAF,

Agreed on the Kingsley Club.  Outstanding all around.  One question though, on #2, the green is deeper front to back than it is wide.  Where was the pin when you played it?  If its up front, it is a really narrow tongue with bowls and steep bunkers on either side.  It opens up considerably if the pin is in the back, but still can be a tough target to find.

I'm sure you're right about the raters.  As the course gains more exposure, it will certainly climb up the rankings.

Golf Digest Rater:
At least it made the list at Golfweek, it wasn't even in our top 10 best new privates for this past year.....  :(

Michael Dugger:
golf digest rater dude...

Why even come in here with that crap?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version